Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So we received the COPR today in the mail, and a couple of basic questions on the landing process for Ontario to anyone that can answer. Sorry if this has already been covered in other posts, but couldn't find specifics and the COPR letter and CIC website was very vague!

Landing
Since my spouse and I both live in Toronto right now, we were planning on flagpole landing at Niagara Falls this weekend. I'm thinking just walking across the Rainbow bridge into the US, and then back into Canada should do it (my spouse has Korean visa which is exempt so no visa needed to visit US).
Are there any particulars we should know or expect?
Does anyone know if this is a relatively quick or slow process at this location, or any times/days to avoid?

SIN Card
Does anyone know if the COPR paper alone is enough to apply for a SIN card?
Or do we need to wait until doing the flagpole landing at border first, then apply?
Is SIN card given immediately or mailed after a long wait? (reason we ask is she has a job ready to go... just waiting on this SIN number).

Health Card
I believe in Ontario there is a 3 month wait for health care (other provinces is immediate). Can anyone confirm this?
Does the waiting time start from the date you officially land?
Can we apply immediately for OHIP card but know it will be 3 months until coverage kicks in, or do we need to wait 3 months before even applying?

Thanks soooo much to anyone that can provide some feedback! ;D

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Health card:

You will have to wait for 3 months. They give you OHIP 3 months from the date you become eligible for one.

I have been in canada for 3 years and i got a job about 2.5 months ago and i am still waiting for the card.

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
I was reading back about some one did a flagpole landing in the Mexico Thread. They said that it took about an hour. They told the US boarder guard that they were doing a flagpole landing and were led back to the Canadian side. I would personally go during the week. I would think you would get less traffic since there would be less tourists going back and forth.

As for the SIN card and the Health card all you have to do it go to Service Ontario, after you have officially landed at the boarder. Serice Ontario will be looking the the PR visa not the COPR. They will give you the SIN after about 15 minutes, the card comes later it is not required for getting a job only the number. You can also apply for OHIP at that time but will not get the card for 3 months.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
So we received the COPR today in the mail, and a couple of basic questions on the landing process for Ontario to anyone that can answer. Sorry if this has already been covered in other posts, but couldn't find specifics and the COPR letter and CIC website was very vague!

Landing
Since my spouse and I both live in Toronto right now, we were planning on flagpole landing at Niagara Falls this weekend. I'm thinking just walking across the Rainbow bridge into the US, and then back into Canada should do it (my spouse has Korean visa which is exempt so no visa needed to visit US).
Are there any particulars we should know or expect?
Does anyone know if this is a relatively quick or slow process at this location, or any times/days to avoid?

SIN Card
Does anyone know if the COPR paper alone is enough to apply for a SIN card?
Or do we need to wait until doing the flagpole landing at border first, then apply?
Is SIN card given immediately or mailed after a long wait? (reason we ask is she has a job ready to go... just waiting on this SIN number).

Health Card
I believe in Ontario there is a 3 month wait for health care (other provinces is immediate). Can anyone confirm this?
Does the waiting time start from the date you officially land?
Can we apply immediately for OHIP card but know it will be 3 months until coverage kicks in, or do we need to wait 3 months before even applying?

Thanks soooo much to anyone that can provide some feedback! ;D
1. Landing by walking over the bridge. Take a look at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-buffalo-applicants-t41886.0.html;msg1486985#msg1486985 for bbiery's experience

2. SIN Card - She'll need her CoPR (after landing) and passport. You can pre-complete the application at http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml and apply at any Service Canada office. They will give her the SIN number on the spot as long as you apply in person and will mail the card.

3. Health Card - you can apply immediately (well, as soon as she has proof of address such as a bank statement also) and coverage will kick in after 3 months. You will receive the card by mail shortly before the effective date.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
1. Landing by walking over the bridge. Take a look at .... for bbiery's experience

2. SIN Card - She'll need her CoPR (after landing) and passport. You can pre-complete the application at .... and apply at any Service Canada office. They will give her the SIN number on the spot as long as you apply in person and will mail the card.

3. Health Card - you can apply immediately (well, as soon as she has proof of address such as a bank statement also) and coverage will kick in after 3 months. You will receive the card by mail shortly before the effective date.
Wow thanks for the great info and links (and also thanks to davek).
Taking the day off and heading to Niagara Falls on Friday to get the PR visa!

Actually reading the info on SIN card, for PR applicants the website states you only need the following:
Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries
So seems like you can get your number even before the landing process.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
The CoPR isn't an offical document until you use it to land. CRA issued me a TTN but wanted a SIN in order to redo previous years taxes they go back 3 yrs. but service Canada said we can't do that until we have landed and the CoPR wasn't official until I landed...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Creampop said:
The CoPR isn't an offical document until you use it to land. CRA issued me a TTN but wanted a SIN in order to redo previous years taxes they go back 3 yrs. but service Canada said we can't do that until we have landed and the CoPR wasn't official until I landed...
Ahh ok that makes sense, thanks for the confirmation!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Have fun - and don't forget the camera - you'll want to take some pictures of the Falls from the bridge.

johare12

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/05/2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
21/08/2012
Med's Done....
01/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29/12/2012
LANDED..........
10/01/2013
can your spouse/partner come with you when you cross the bridge to land?

And also I'm hoping to have my COPR by early december (going back to the uk for a month on the 12th Dec) is it wise to cross at the bridge to land before going back to the UK or am I best to just wait and "land" when we fly back in December. I was thinking pros for landing by foot before going home that the OHIP would kick in a bit earlier, but then I'm worried about what the rule is flying out/back into canada without the PR card, are the papers and passport enough?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:

Actually reading the info on SIN card, for PR applicants the website states you only need the following:
Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries
So seems like you can get your number even before the landing process.
Good luck...looking forward to your experience as me and my wife will also be taking that same route and "land" in late December.

All the best...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
johare12 said:
Well I am the Canadian sponsor in this case... and will be accompanying my common-law partner who is the one landing. I'm assuming worst case i'd just stand waiting outside the door wherever they do the short landing inverview in the Canadian office at the border.

And also I'm hoping to have my COPR by early december (going back to the uk for a month on the 12th Dec) is it wise to cross at the bridge to land before going back to the UK or am I best to just wait and "land" when we fly back in December. I was thinking pros for landing by foot before going home that the OHIP would kick in a bit earlier, but then I'm worried about what the rule is flying out/back into canada without the PR card, are the papers and passport enough?
We are also leaving the country for 1 week in December (short vaca to Mexico), but are still proceeding with doing the landing this Friday. The quicker time to get your SIN and Health Card is the main reason. We're just assuming the COPR that is made an official document after landing, will be fine on re-entry to Canada. My partner also has a visa-exempt Korean passport, and a student visa that is good until January... so I don't see any problems in our case.

ragluf said:
Good luck...looking forward to your experience as me and my wife will also be taking that same route and "land" in late December.
On Friday after we get home i'll make sure to post about how the process went!

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
johare12 said:
Should be able to. I landed at the Lewiston bridge and was able to stay with my spouse the whole time, and other people have reported similar experiences.

johare12

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/05/2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
21/08/2012
Med's Done....
01/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29/12/2012
LANDED..........
10/01/2013
Rob_TO said:
Well I am the Canadian sponsor in this case... and will be accompanying my common-law partner who is the one landing. I'm assuming worst case i'd just stand waiting outside the door wherever they do the short landing inverview in the Canadian office at the border.

We are also leaving the country for 1 week in December (short vaca to Mexico), but are still proceeding with doing the landing this Friday. The quicker time to get your SIN and Health Card is the main reason. We're just assuming the COPR that is made an official document after landing, will be fine on re-entry to Canada. My partner also has a visa-exempt Korean passport, and a student visa that is good until January... so I don't see any problems in our case.

On Friday after we get home i'll make sure to post about how the process went!

Thanks for your help! if we are lucky and COPR comes in before we leave we will go the Falls and "land" :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johare12 said:

Your spouse/partner can be with you when you land so no worries there :)

Once you are at the Canadian border, you should be alright getting back in with your CoPR and passport. However, unless you are visa exempt airlines will want to see a valid entry document such as a visa or travel document (CoPRs aren't one that the government lets them validate and they face steep fines if they transport someone who is denied entry and they didn't check the documents). If you want to go by the book or if you don't have a visa, travel documents are designed for returning PRs - you can apply and get it at an Embassy or Consulate and is accepted by airlines as proof of status. One thing to consider is that for OHIP you can only be outside of the province 30 days during your first 6 months after landing or the waiting period resets so consider your Dec/Jan and future travel plans:

Code:
    Leaving Ontario for more than 30 days in the first six months immediately after establishing residence in Ontario can impact your OHIP coverage by affecting the start date of your three-month waiting period.
    It can result in a new three-month waiting period being applied as most new and returning residents to Ontario are required to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in the first 183 days after residence is established in Ontario in order to maintain Ontario health insurance coverage.
    The requirement to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in the first 183 days after residence is established in Ontario only applies to new or returning residents:
        Who move to Ontario from another country or
        Who move to Ontario from another province/territory where they were not covered by the health insurance of that province/territory
Source: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/wait.html

johare12

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/05/2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
21/08/2012
Med's Done....
01/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29/12/2012
LANDED..........
10/01/2013
OhCanadiana said:
Your spouse/partner can be with you when you land so no worries there :)

Once you are at the Canadian border, you should be alright getting back in with your CoPR and passport. However, unless you are visa exempt airlines will want to see a valid entry document such as a visa or travel document (CoPRs aren't one that the government lets them validate and they face steep fines if they transport someone who is denied entry and they didn't check the documents). If you want to go by the book or if you don't have a visa, travel documents are designed for returning PRs - you can apply and get it at an Embassy or Consulate and is accepted by airlines as proof of status. One thing to consider is that for OHIP you can only be outside of the province 30 days during your first 6 months after landing or the waiting period resets so consider your Dec/Jan and future travel plans:

Code:
    Leaving Ontario for more than 30 days in the first six months immediately after establishing residence in Ontario can impact your OHIP coverage by affecting the start date of your three-month waiting period.
    It can result in a new three-month waiting period being applied as most new and returning residents to Ontario are required to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in the first 183 days after residence is established in Ontario in order to maintain Ontario health insurance coverage.
    The requirement to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in the first 183 days after residence is established in Ontario only applies to new or returning residents:
        Who move to Ontario from another country or
        Who move to Ontario from another province/territory where they were not covered by the health insurance of that province/territory
Source: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/wait.html
Thanks for the information!
I would be out of Canada for 29 days I just counted haha so cutting it close!
I'm beginning to lose faith in the copr coming before we go home anyway but it's good to have as much information as possible just incase :)