+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Montreal on FSW-O

lordbeerus

Jun 14, 2018
Hi All,

I have recently got my Golden email. I am considering to immigrate to Montreal. I have head that I can not move to Quebec because they have their own immigration rules. I wanted to ask, can immigrate to Montreal or not on FSW stream

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
After landing in any other province except Quebec , you will become a PR and under "mobility rights" you can move to any province including Quebec. So finish landing and then move to Quebec.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
so I can not directly immigrate to Montreal?
Correct you must complete your initial landing in any other province but not Quebec. After you have landed you can move anywhere.

If you arrive at for example Montreal airport trying to complete your initial PR landing and have no onward travel to another province your initial PR landing would/should be refused. If refused you probably would be allowed into the country as a visitor but you would need to complete your landing at an IRCC office or flagpole outside of Quebec.

Last edited:

qua

Feb 27, 2019
Lordbeerus, I am in the same position as you were. What did you end up doing?

qua

Feb 27, 2019
Landed in Montreal, gave a Toronto address.
Thanks. Some follow up questions:
- Did you have an onward flight ticket to Toronto or just the address?
- Did CBSA ask you where you intended to live?
- Did you go through two steps of immigration processing as people with QSC indicated they had to (one for federal, another for Quebec-specific information)?

lordbeerus

Jun 14, 2018
Thanks. Some follow up questions:
- Did you have an onward flight ticket to Toronto or just the address?
- Did CBSA ask you where you intended to live?
- Did you go through two steps of immigration processing as people with QSC indicated they had to (one for federal, another for Quebec-specific information)?
Short answer for all of it is No, no such thing was asked. But I have a different story. I went to Montreal to attend a conference, for that purpose, I applied for a visitor visa while my PR was being processed. So at the time of entry, I had 2 visas. Visit as well as Immigration. I went to the immigration officer at Montreal airport and told her my situation that I am here for 4 days only and I have 2 visas, is it possible to do an entry here. Unlike, US, Canadian immigration officers are extremely helpful. She said, sure you can. then she sent me to the immigration room which was empty. Again a new immigration officer, ultra friendly, I told her my situation and she said, no problem. She asked for my COPR, asked mandatory questions and asked for an address in Canada, I told her my friend's address and probably in 2 mins, I was done. Already received my card.

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
Short answer for all of it is No, no such thing was asked. But I have a different story. I went to Montreal to attend a conference, for that purpose, I applied for a visitor visa while my PR was being processed. So at the time of entry, I had 2 visas. Visit as well as Immigration. I went to the immigration officer at Montreal airport and told her my situation that I am here for 4 days only and I have 2 visas, is it possible to do an entry here. Unlike, US, Canadian immigration officers are extremely helpful. She said, sure you can. then she sent me to the immigration room which was empty. Again a new immigration officer, ultra friendly, I told her my situation and she said, no problem. She asked for my COPR, asked mandatory questions and asked for an address in Canada, I told her my friend's address and probably in 2 mins, I was done. Already received my card.
Please could you share how long it's takes to get your pr card from the day of landing.

Jagjit grewal

Mar 1, 2019
Dear my wife in montreal on study visa, how can i apply after how much time and please tell me can she get pr in montreal after completing study bcz so many people asked her that Montreal is not sfe for future they said quebeQis not giving

lordbeerus

Jun 14, 2018
Dear my wife in montreal on study visa, how can i apply after how much time and please tell me can she get pr in montreal after completing study bcz so many people asked her that Montreal is not sfe for future they said quebeQis not giving
Sorry, i am not a consultant. Can't help you