+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in July - Toronto, lets connect here

lovesumi

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Anyone landing in July, lets connect here.
We can discuss localities, accommodations, etc here

Cheers

psharma.np

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
I am also planning to land in July in Toronto. But I am not sure if I should bring my spouse and 2 year old son.

Considering the weather I think it will be a good time to move to Toronto as there will be plenty of time to adjust to the weather. But, I am a little hesitant to move with the family as that means more expenses and less time to give for job hunt.

What does other members recommend on the first move? Do you suggest to move alone, search for job and then only bring family? Or, do you prefer to move along with the family at one shot and slowly adjust to new place and weather ?

Pls. advise.

Thanks in advance.

tuonglien

Dec 15, 2014
Hi,

I'm also planning to land in July in Toronto with my husband and 4y old son.
Have you already book air ticket and hotel/apartment yet?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
So I'll say off the bat I'm not landing in July hence not replying before. I'm landing in June (unless my 6 week pending CSE reveals I need an updated CoPR which means I'll be lucky to land this side of 2017).

I have a few thoughts though.

Firstly get your tickets now, or at least asap. Flights go up in price as the date approaches and especially as this time of year which is peak tourist season. You really want to be booking > 4 weeks out, >2 weeks minimum. Tickets go up literally 50-100% < 6 days out. More if you are wanting something other than economy class.

Also on flights. Check return tickets. BA and AC are cheaper return than one way. Book the return "tango" if possible as you can't normally cancel a half-used ticket and that's the cheapest option.
Or... look at other carriers. Icelandic Air serve most of Europe and are generally fine one way. United tends to be reasonable one way too, though I've not tried them internationally.

July is going to be hot and humid. Expect it will hit 40C with humidity at least one week.

Moving alone has advantages for sure, but don't underestimate the impact of moving country alone and not knowing anyone and not having a job. And being apart from your spouse and 2 year old son especially if you haven't been apart from him for long before.

In my opinion, Spring (April) is the best time to arrive as you get limited cold weather and the longest gap before it gets cold. It depends what you are used to of course!
I would not recommend arriving November->Feb. This year was very mild, the two before... I don't think it went above 0 for 3 months.

I'd advise against a hotel for more than a few days unless fairly well off. Very expensive in Toronto and then you often have to eat out every meal unless you pay even more for a decent option with fridge etc..
I found AirBnb challenging because it was so small, but it was also about 30% of the cost.

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
jc94 said:
So I'll say off the bat I'm not landing in July hence not replying before. I'm landing in June (unless my 6 week pending CSE reveals I need an updated CoPR which means I'll be lucky to land this side of 2017).

I have a few thoughts though.

Firstly get your tickets now, or at least asap. Flights go up in price as the date approaches and especially as this time of year which is peak tourist season. You really want to be booking > 4 weeks out, >2 weeks minimum. Tickets go up literally 50-100% < 6 days out. More if you are wanting something other than economy class.

Also on flights. Check return tickets. BA and AC are cheaper return than one way. Book the return "tango" if possible as you can't normally cancel a half-used ticket and that's the cheapest option.
Or... look at other carriers. Icelandic Air serve most of Europe and are generally fine one way. United tends to be reasonable one way too, though I've not tried them internationally.

July is going to be hot and humid. Expect it will hit 40C with humidity at least one week.

Moving alone has advantages for sure, but don't underestimate the impact of moving country alone and not knowing anyone and not having a job. And being apart from your spouse and 2 year old son especially if you haven't been apart from him for long before.

In my opinion, Spring (April) is the best time to arrive as you get limited cold weather and the longest gap before it gets cold. It depends what you are used to of course!
I would not recommend arriving November->Feb. This year was very mild, the two before... I don't think it went above 0 for 3 months.

I'd advise against a hotel for more than a few days unless fairly well off. Very expensive in Toronto and then you often have to eat out every meal unless you pay even more for a decent option with fridge etc..
I found AirBnb challenging because it was so small, but it was also about 30% of the cost.
Thanks jc94 for the enlightening post.

Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in Canada? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :'( As a matter of fact, I have little clue on most things Canadian!

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
mcadam said:
Thanks jc94 for the enlightening post.

Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in Canada? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :'( As a matter of fact, I have little clue on most things Canadian!
The government through settlement organizations provides services targeted towards immigrants that have just arrived in the country. These non-profit organizations run programs that are designed to help you integrate more smoothly by covering a range of issues like housing, education, job search preparation (and matching depending on the organization), language services etc.

I strongly advise, find one and make use of these services, after you land. Here's a link to help you find immigrant services in your destination http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/map/services.asp Naturally, selecting the closest provider to you, is the wise thing to do.

nickarter84

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
LANDED..........
10-08-2016
Guys can I book one way ticket?
or is it required to book a return ticket,

NOTE: I am not planning to make a soft landing.

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
next2015 said:
The government through settlement organizations provides services targeted towards immigrants that have just arrived in the country. These non-profit organizations run programs that are designed to help you integrate more smoothly by covering a range of issues like housing, education, job search preparation (and matching depending on the organization), language services etc.

I strongly advise, find one and make use of these services, after you land. Here's a link to help you find immigrant services in your destination http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/map/services.asp Naturally, selecting the closest provider to you, is the wise thing to do.
Thank you next2015...

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
nickarter84 said:
Guys can I book one way ticket?
or is it required to book a return ticket,

NOTE: I am not planning to make a soft landing.
If you're a PR, it doesn't matter whether you have a return ticket or not, because your PR status gives you authorization to live and work in Canada. That said, some people, landing with the intent to settle - not leave after a few weeks/months, purchase return tickets just because the return ticket may is cheaper than a one-way.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yeah, your only real issue with a one way ticket is that you may get some extra security (some airports dislike them for obvious reasons especially post 9/11). Less of an issue flying into YYZ vs anywhere in the US. The only place I know enforces return tickets is actually New Zealand (you can't get on a plane there without proof of a return ticket), although obviously (one assumes) they waive that if you are emigrating there!

Definitely shop around, even the likes of expedia/skyscanner may be able to advise on best companies for one way flights.

nickarter84

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
LANDED..........
10-08-2016
next2015 said:
If you're a PR, it doesn't matter whether you have a return ticket or not, because your PR status gives you authorization to live and work in Canada. That said, some people, landing with the intent to settle - not leave after a few weeks/months, purchase return tickets just because the return ticket may is cheaper than a one-way.
I just got my passport stamped so i wanted to make sure about that

well, thanks for help

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
I am doing a short landing in June for couple of weeks. Does anyone know if I can get a SIN # at Pearson airport? I'll be landing on a Sunday. Any response is appreciated :)

Edwin sam

Dec 3, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2014
AOR Received.
PER 01-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
05-02-2015
Med's Request
21-03-2015
Med's Done....
12-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully by October 2015
anandg12 said:
I am doing a short landing in June for couple of weeks. Does anyone know if I can get a SIN # at Pearson airport? I'll be landing on a Sunday. Any response is appreciated :)
Yes, you can get the SIN at the airport itself, provided you are landing during day time. If you have children, I would suggest take the SIN for your children as well, then an there.

vivek901

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
App. Filed.......
28-01-2002
Doc's Request.
19-11-2007
Med's Request
14-04-2008
Med's Done....
24-05-2008
Passport Req..
21-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2008
LANDED..........
30-04-2009
Hi,

I am living in Canada since past 5 years. Below is my blog which can help you a bit

https://settlementtipsfornewimmigrants.wordpress.com/

https://youtu.be/DkRDy3WeCOg