+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing in canada

jordan2110

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Ok my wife is coming to Canada November 30th. What documents does she need once arriving at Vancouver airpor. Does she need to write a list of all things she bringing from Ukraine. Does she need to translate any documents , does she she need to show our marriage certificate ? Pls help. Thank you

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
jordan2110 said:
Ok my wife is coming to Canada November 30th. What documents does she need once arriving at Vancouver airpor. Does she need to write a list of all things she bringing from Ukraine. Does she need to translate any documents , does she she need to show our marriage certificate ? Pls help. Thank you
hello,

according to CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp your wife is not visa exempt, so I assume she is coming with her PR visa on her passport as you are sponsoring her. Is that correct?

If she has been issued her visa, she needs her passport with visa, and nothing else for landing. no translation or marriage certificate. At the border, she needs to say that she would like to "land as a permanent resident" and she will be taken to another office to complete immigration procedure. Nothing scary though - they will just sign her paper, and confirm with her which address in Canada she would like to have the PR card sent to. Normally it is already on the visa, so it is just to confirm.

As a first time immigrant, she can bring in the country her personal belongings without paying taxes. In that case, she needs to prepare the list of goods she is bringing, and it will be stamped when she completes the landing procedures. here is the instructions from CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

she can complete the B4 forms in advance ( in the previous link you will find the link to the B4 forms to complete), and if she is bringing goods later to the country (boxes shipped from Ukraine to Canada) she can declare them as well at the same time so she can collect them later on without paying taxes.

Good luck - it's almost the end, and congratulations on making it all the way!
Cheers,
Sweden

jordan2110

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Oh yes she was accepted October 1st. She will landing December 1st I will be with her. Can I go everywhere with her in the airport. I don't trust the RCMP or YVR personal.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jordan2110 said:
Oh yes she was accepted October 1st. She will landing December 1st I will be with her. Can I go everywhere with her in the airport. I don't trust the RCMP or YVR personal.
I don't think you can go everywhere unless you work in the airport. Besides, no need to worry. My father in law doesn't speak English, but he arrived at YVR alone. There were interpreters assisting him.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sweden said:
If she has been issued her visa, she needs her passport with visa, and nothing else for landing. no translation or marriage certificate.
I'm not sure why you said she won't need her marriage certificate. The reality is that maybe she will be asked for it, or maybe she won't. But according to the CIC web site, she definitely should have it with her. Better to be safe than sorry:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Alright, seriously calm the heck down. This is escalating too fast for no reason. Go to your seperate corners and eat leftover candy until you've caaaaaaaaaaaaalmed down...

Anywho. I would have your wife bring a copy of the application and the marriage certificate to have on hand and obviously her COPR. She would also need her B4 if she has stuff she is shipping to your home in Canada. You will not be allowed to go with her to get her COPR done, they only take one person at a time.

jordan2110

Star Member
May 26, 2012
lol this went off topic in a hurry hah. Anyways we are just going to bring what documents we have and have hear write down everything she is bringing with her. Nothing will be shipped later on

Nessa

May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 6 2011
Doc's Request.
May 11 2012 (PGR)
AOR Received.
April 09 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 31 2012
Med's Done....
Nov. 08 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 26 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 3 2012
Hi! My husband will be landing in Vancouver this Saturday (nov 3rd) and I will be with him! So I will try to post again here on Sunday and let you know exactly how it goes!

We are just bringing the visa stamped in his passport, the COPR, and the b4 form. I guess it couldn´t hurt to bring along our marriage certificate too.

Good luck! :D

jordan2110

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Oh yes please do. I will not bring my wifes record of employment or school records because I don't believe that's relevant. I'll just bring passport with visa , b4 form, marriage certificate, and letters Canada visa office sent my wife

Nessa

May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 6 2011
Doc's Request.
May 11 2012 (PGR)
AOR Received.
April 09 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 31 2012
Med's Done....
Nov. 08 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 26 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 3 2012
Ok well my husband landed in Vancouver yesterday! It was very easy and took only about 15 minutes.

We got to Vancouver around 11:00am. We filled out that customs paper they give you on the plane.
There was no line up at the customs/immigration booths. The lines are divided one side is for Canadians and the other side is for foreigners. So we went through the Canadian side (I am Canadian and my huband is Mexican by the way.)

So we walk up the officer and hand him our passports and customs paper from the plane. I told him that I am Canadian returning to Canada and my husband is landing as a permanent resident. So he said ok, asked what part of Mexico we are coming from and if my husband had his COPR. We said yes. So he scanned the passports and stamped the customs paper and then sent us to an office behind the normal immigration booths.

This office is next to all the baggage carousels on the right. There is a desk there in front of the office and it says IMMIGRATION in big letters so you just tell the person at that desk you are landing as a permanent resident and then they will tell you to go in the office.

You need to go first to the desk at the far end of that office (not the first one you see) and they will give you info about getting health cards and sin numbers and free english classes and immigration services etc... and they might also give you a number for your turn with the immigration officer. (we didn´t get one because it wasn´t busy when we were there)

So then once you finish there you go back to the first desk near the entrance and you go talk to an immigration officer when it´s your turn. So we went to this person and she asked for the COPR and the copy of the COPR (they give you this when you get the COPR), my husband´s passport, my passport (I was allowed to go in there with him and everything), and the customs paper that you filled out on the plane. They will ask you things like your marital status, if you have kids, if you have ever been refused entry to Canada, if you have been to Canada before, if you have a criminal record. They will also get you ti confirm that your address is correct on the COPR. So it might be a good idea to just have your address written already on a paper an djust give that to them. I wasn´t allowed to translate any of this for my husband...but they had a paper with all the questions in spanish so he just read off the paper.

And then she told us to go sit down and wait a few minutes...we waited maybe like 5 minutes or less and then she called us back again. She got my husband to sign the COPR in 3 places, and then sign a copy of it. Then she folded the COPR up and stapled it in his passport and explained that the PR card would be mailed to his address in 5 to 8 weeks and what to do if we need to travel before he gets his card. And that was that!

Then we went out and grabbed our suitcases and passed the customs person who took the customs card and waved us through. They didn´t even look at the B4 forms and they didn´t make us open up our bags or anything.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions that I didn´t answer here. :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nessa said:
Then we went out and grabbed our suitcases and passed the customs person who took the customs card and waved us through. They didn´t even look at the B4 forms and they didn´t make us open up our bags or anything.
That's their practice! But you still need to get the B4 stamped at the local CBSA office (Dunsmuir in Vancouver).