+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada with COPR questions

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
My wife has received her COPR and we're planning on going to Japan for a month and then coming back where she will officially "land" in Canada (she's been living here already as a temporary visitor for 9 months). I'm not quite sure what sort of documentation we will need exactly.
I know we need:
a) the COPR
b) her passport
c) proof of funds
d) list of possessions being brought into the country

Is there anything else? Does she need pictures? I know there is one picture already included with her COPR document. I'm a little confused about what to provide for proof of funds and how much is sufficient. Is a simple printout of her bank account in Canada enough? She has about $4000 of funds. Is that sufficient? Should I bring proof of my funds as well to show that I can support her? Would a copy of our lease be of any help? Will I be allowed to be there for the interview/question process or is this something that she will have to go through on her own? We'll all be travelling back together (with our two kids who are Canadian citizens) so will we have to split off and go separate ways once we get to immigration?

Thanks for any input.

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
My wife has received her COPR and we're planning on going to Japan for a month and then coming back where she will officially "land" in Canada (she's been living here already as a temporary visitor for 9 months). I'm not quite sure what sort of documentation we will need exactly.
I know we need:
a) the COPR
b) her passport
c) proof of funds
d) list of possessions being brought into the country

Is there anything else? Does she need pictures? I know there is one picture already included with her COPR document. I'm a little confused about what to provide for proof of funds and how much is sufficient. Is a simple printout of her bank account in Canada enough? She has about $4000 of funds. Is that sufficient? Should I bring proof of my funds as well to show that I can support her? Would a copy of our lease be of any help? Will I be allowed to be there for the interview/question process or is this something that she will have to go through on her own? We'll all be travelling back together (with our two kids who are Canadian citizens) so will we have to split off and go separate ways once we get to immigration?

Thanks for any input.
If it's a spousal sponsorship, there is no need for proof of funds. My wife landed a few days ago and all they did was ask how much cash she had on her. She had about $20, and there were no problems. No mention of bank accounts or anything like that.

Also, if she doesn't have any unaccompanied goods, (from my experience) there is no need for a list of goods you're bringing in. In our case, my wife basically had clothes and small personal possessions, and although we had made a list, the officer didn't want to even see it. They seemed more concerned about unaccompanied goods.

I know the process is daunting, but it's actually really simple and easy. We landed at Pearson, but I'm assuming it's the same everywhere. They let us go together (I'm also a citizen). They ask a few questions (something about criminality, and another about any undisclosed dependents. They're actually printed on the COPR) and that's basically it. Literally all we needed was the passport and the COPR. I wouldn't worry about a copy of your lease or proof of funds or anything like that. At the same time, if it'll take you five seconds to print off and it isn't any trouble to carry, you could bring it. But it's very unlikely that you'll need it.

Good luck!

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Thank you for your help. That was very reassuring. We'll bring the proof of funds as it's just a single thing to print off, but I'll leave the lease at home.

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Thank you for your help. That was very reassuring. We'll bring the proof of funds as it's just a single thing to print off, but I'll leave the lease at home.
My pleasure! I know it's a stressful/important event, but it really did go very smoothly, for us at least. Congratulations on your wife's COPR and finally being able to get on your lives!

Jelvuk

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Hi guys!

I have a question..

My husband received his COPR in the mail today and I noticed that under marital status he is listed as single. However, near the bottom of the document it clearly states that I am his spouse. I’m assuming this is human error. Is this something that can be fixed by an immigration officer at the port of entry or do we need to request for a new COPR?

Does anybody know?

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Hi guys!

I have a question..

My husband received his COPR in the mail today and I noticed that under marital status he is listed as single. However, near the bottom of the document it clearly states that I am his spouse. I’m assuming this is human error. Is this something that can be fixed by an immigration officer at the port of entry or do we need to request for a new COPR?

Does anybody know?
Are you married or common-law? I've read elsewhere that it will say single if you're common law (but im not 100% sure on that).

Jelvuk

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Simple mistake. Point it out to CBSA when he lands.
I was almost wondering if we should just resend his passport and COPR to get them to fix the mistake? At the same time though all of his passport info, address and name is correct so maybe it can just be an easy fix when he lands. We booked some travel plans so I’m worried about sending his passport just in case he doesn’t get it back in time.