+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada while continuing job in home country

borg_drone

Nov 26, 2017
I have submitted by passport to the VO & am expecting my CoPR any time now. My question is related to my job in my home country. I will have very little time to land in Canada after getting my CoPR as my health check expires very soon.

My plan is to
1. retain my job in my home country
2. Land in Canada before the expiration of the CoPR/health checkup
3. Apply for SIN
4. Stay in Canada & collect the PR card or let my contacts in Canada collect it for me when it gets mailed
5. Leave Canada & get back to my job in my home country
6. Return to Canada after I a few months after having settled all my affairs in my home country

My question -
1. Will there be a PR card for every individual (primary applicant & dependents)?
2. Is there any risk in letting my contacts in Canada collect my PR & have them mail/courier it to me?
3. Will there be a risk in retaining my current job & traveling to Canada to fulfill the obligation, come back & return at a more convenient time ( a few months later)?

Any issues that I should foresee?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)yes everyone included in your application gets a PR card but they will need to land as well whether with you or after you , but before the COPR expiry. So most important is all dependants included in your application must land before COPR expiry date , you as primary applicant cannot land on their behalf so either land before them or together

2)Your contacts cannot collect your PR cards , you need to provide a Canadian address for the cards to be mailed to. Your contacts can then mail/courier them to you in your home country. People do this all the time and generally have no issues although nobody here can predict what any receiving country might do with any mail but generally never a problem.. Not practical to wait for PR card as could take 45-60 days to process , sometimes longer.

3)In theory you can stay away from Canada after initial landing for near 3 years before you can start to have issues with the residency obligation where you need to be in the country for 2 years out of 5 from initial landing in Canada.

So nothing wrong with your plan and people do this all the time, short landing then return home for a while to sort things out, but note you will need the PR card in hand as well as passport to board a flight back to Canada once you are a PR , failing that a PRTD.

Last edited:
Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

borg_drone

Nov 26, 2017
Thanks a ton for your response. I am planning for worst case scenario.

Let us say that my contacts in Canada receive my PR cards. Assume either the PR cards have errors or that they get lost in mail when being couriered over to me. I understand that a PR travel document is required for me to be able to get back into Canada. The documents required aren't very clear -

1. Can I submit a copy of my CoPR OR my landing confirmation as proof to support my application for a PRTD?

Will I need anything else?