+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada, how can I avoid the horrible UK exchange rate?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Spielo said:
They're going to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think "Hard Brexit" will happen, not because anybody actually wants it, but because the EU has told the UK that it's hard Brexit or no Brexit at all to punish the UK, and this arrogant government will pursue the hard Brexit despite the disastrous consequences.

I'm sorry it's needlessly costing you, I have a friend who moved here from Australia, started a successful local business that employs 10 people and the Home Office still treats her like scum, as if the ridiculous reports about immigrants in the tabloids aren't complete nonsense. It makes me so utterly ashamed.
Brexit broke my heart in more ways than one. My home county was one of the biggest leave votes and they are all Luddites who have never been anywhere other than the Costa del sol on a package holiday. They are convinced that anyone and everyone is out to get them even though they claim benefits and avoid tax at all costs. The 52% who voted leave are people who have never seen a visa document or know the pain it is to move to a new country. I can't wait to leave this place. Europe was our backup, now i have no idea what we will do if Canada fails.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Brexit broke my heart in more ways than one. My home county was one of the biggest leave votes and they are all Luddites who have never been anywhere other than the Costa del sol on a package holiday. They are convinced that anyone and everyone is out to get them even though they claim benefits and avoid tax at all costs. The 52% who voted leave are people who have never seen a visa document or know the pain it is to move to a new country. I can't wait to leave this place. Europe was our backup, now i have no idea what we will do if Canada fails.
wow, i would like to hear more about your story actually.... all you hear in media is just random stories, not individual stories about what is going on how it is effecting people...

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
thestunner316 said:
wow, i would like to hear more about your story actually.... all you hear in media is just random stories, not individual stories about what is going on how it is effecting people...
It's hard to describe really. The UK has always had a love hate relationship with Europe, for the most part detatched irritation.

Imagine that half of the people on a bus are convinced that the EU government just take UK money and give it to the poorer EU countries. They don't want to hear that Wales is almost entirely supported by EU funding, that only 0.3% of the UK funds goes to the EU. They see anyone from outside of the UK as people seeking free money and an easy ride.

It is mostly based on ignorance, racism and low intelligence score.

Some people used it as a protest vote against our own government, but failed to understand that by removing the EU govenment we have taken away regulation that restricts what our govenment are allowed to get away with.

It also highlighted a deep rooted racist vein across the country and we are now in danger of loosing Scotland and no longer being the UK.

Ugh.

Half of the country hate what has happened and will continue to fight it and try and maintain ties with Europe.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
It's hard to describe really. The UK has always had a love hate relationship with Europe, for the most part detatched irritation.

Imagine that half of the people on a bus are convinced that the EU government just take UK money and give it to the poorer EU countries. They don't want to hear that Wales is almost entirely supported by EU funding, that only 0.3% of the UK funds goes to the EU. They see anyone from outside of the UK as people seeking free money and an easy ride.

It is mostly based on ignorance, racism and low intelligence score.

Some people used it as a protest vote against our own government, but failed to understand that by removing the EU govenment we have taken away regulation that restricts what our govenment are allowed to get away with.

It also highlighted a deep rooted racist vein across the country and we are now in danger of loosing Scotland and no longer being the UK.

Ugh.

Half of the country hate what has happened and will continue to fight it and try and maintain ties with Europe.
wow, thats just crazy... but thats how people are also unfortunately... i remember seeing this cartoon where there are 3 people - a banker, a citizen and an immigrant, in front of them is a plate with 20 cookies... the banker takes 19 cookies, puts them in his pocket and whispers to the citizen - watch out, that immigrant is out to get that last cookie on the plate...

i wasnt that aware of a racist vein in the country TBH, been to london twice (albiet for very short periods) never had any problem with anyone really (and i'm a muslim) , infact i was under the impression that UK is probably one of the most tolerant and educated nations in the world...

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
thestunner316 said:
wow, thats just crazy... but thats how people are also unfortunately... i remember seeing this cartoon where there are 3 people - a banker, a citizen and an immigrant, in front of them is a plate with 20 cookies... the banker takes 19 cookies, puts them in his pocket and whispers to the citizen - watch out, that immigrant is out to get that last cookie on the plate...

i wasnt that aware of a racist vein in the country TBH, been to london twice (albiet for very short periods) never had any problem with anyone really (and i'm a muslim) , infact i was under the impression that UK is probably one of the most tolerant and educated nations in the world...
I like that analogy.

London is a fantastic and open city (who overall voted remain). If you get a chance to look at the voting breakdown map http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cpsprodpb/11632/production/_90081217_eu_ref_results_map_promo976.png you'll see that it was 'middle England' that voted out. These people are told by the media that all foreigners (and sorry, Muslims) are evil and out to get them, however never directly.

Now it's died down things have improved a bit, most idiot leave voters are convinced we have already left the EU so when asked how they feel now they are convinced everything is perfect already. Idiots.

I promise you that when you hear reports of pro-leave people, their IQ is in the double figures. Let's hope they don't reproduce.

JALT

Nov 3, 2015
kryt0n said:
I promise you that when you hear reports of pro-leave people, their IQ is in the double figures. Let's hope they don't reproduce.
I voted remain (and I feel strongly about it), but as you've just insulted 52% of British people quite badly (including my own Dad who's a pensioner, and never got taught economics and politics at school) then it's probably a good thing for the UK that you're trying to leave

Spielo said:
They're going to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think "Hard Brexit" will happen, not because anybody actually wants it, but because the EU has told the UK that it's hard Brexit or no Brexit at all to punish the UK, and this arrogant government will pursue the hard Brexit despite the disastrous consequences.
Teresa May wasn't in the leave campaign, but governments who ignore the public vote and just do their own thing anyway are more like dictatorships

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
JALT said:
I voted remain (and I feel strongly about it), but as you've just insulted 52% of British people quite badly (including my own Dad who's a pensioner, and never got taught economics and politics at school) then it's probably a good thing for the UK that you're trying to leave

Teresa May wasn't in the leave campaign, but governments who ignore the public vote and just do their own thing anyway are more like dictatorships
Yea, my mum voted leave, too. I stand by my opinion.

TicTocCroc

Mar 1, 2016
App. Filed.......
05-12-2016
Doc's Request.
21-02-2017, 01-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
05-12-2016
I'm in the same situation. I had 50% more than I needed when I sent my OINP pack off, but now I only just scrape through with minimum requirement, especially as the minimum has also increased.

I am leaving my money in the UK for now, and hoping it increases soon. As long as it doesn't go down before I get ITA I should be ok.

My current annoyance is that I have 2 job offers, but neither employer is prepared to go through LMIA or pay employer compliance fee if I get provincial nomination, so I cant get a work permit. If I get ITA and completeness check, I can apply for BWOP. If I am working, I don't have to prove funds, but in order to work, I have to get ITA which means I have to prove funds. Crazy!! Just hoping that rate doesn't drop so I still have enough funds!

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
thestunner316 said:

It's a really complicated situation that got us to this point. We're a very old country and some aspects of history we'll never forget, and others we wilfully ignore. Anything that glorifies ourselves in generally celebrated and any of the many, many shameful things in our past are completely ignored and written out of history. As a result, the British psyche is one of pure exceptionalism. British people (as a populace) believe themselves to be better than anyone and everyone else. Furthermore, they position themselves as better than other countries who believe themselves to be the best by talking down anyone who actively says they're the best, calling them arrogant. British people then believe themselves to be the most exceptional because they _secretly_ believe themselves to be exceptional, showing outward modesty, but inward self-regard. We still live in the shadow of the British Empire, when we "ruled the world", and people look back wistfully at a "bygone age", but nobody talks about the brutality and genocide that we perpetrated. It permeates in all parts of British society, where anything that reasserts the idea that Britain is somehow special is unquestioningly supported.

Meanwhile, our terrifyingly powerful tabloid press have been demonising immigrants for years, making people angrier and angrier about something that has been economically beneficial to us, while carefully distracting us from the small number of already rich people who are taking the country's publicly-owned assets, stripping them for parts and storing the bounty in their private offshore bank accounts. Immigrants are routinely discussed in newspaper columns as if they're not even human and nobody even bats an eye anymore.

This year, tabloid newspapers have successfully made people angry enough to murder an MP and several immigrants, and incited a huge spike in hate crimes across the country (except in Scotland, where people are more reasonable). Nobody's willing to speak out against the tabloid newspapers though, because they're too powerful, so our government has taken the easy way out and just joined in with all of the immigrant hate. People just call it "concerns about immigrants", but the "concerns" are just unfounded fears, based on deliberate lies, with no evidence to support them or any basis in reality. Somehow it's perfectly acceptable for these newspapers, which have blatant lies and hate speech on the front pages, to be casually sold in supermarkets like it's no big deal.

So yeah, everything is blamed on immigrants, the immigrants are the EU's fault, and therefore every problem the UK has is somehow the EU's fault. British people are "special" and are entitled to everything they want by birthright, and anyone who wasn't born here who just wants a peaceful life and dignity is a "scrounger" who has come to rob us of all we have.

Never mind that the EU parliament is the closest thing we have to a democracy (a first past the post system, an unelected House of Lords and an actual monarchy in 2016 are celebrated as "sovereign", while the EU is _somehow_ "undemocratic"), and the EU provides UK citizens with countless benefits and protections, we're going to scrap all of that at tremendous cost to ourselves because a few pages of hate speech sold in supermarkets told us to.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Spielo said:
It's a really complicated situation that got us to this point. We're a very old country and some aspects of history we'll never forget, and others we wilfully ignore. Anything that glorifies ourselves in generally celebrated and any of the many, many shameful things in our past are completely ignored and written out of history. As a result, the British psyche is one of pure exceptionalism. British people (as a populace) believe themselves to be better than anyone and everyone else. Furthermore, they position themselves as better than other countries who believe themselves to be the best by talking down anyone who actively says they're the best, calling them arrogant. British people then believe themselves to be the most exceptional because they _secretly_ believe themselves to be exceptional, showing outward modesty, but inward self-regard. We still live in the shadow of the British Empire, when we "ruled the world", and people look back wistfully at a "bygone age", but nobody talks about the brutality and genocide that we perpetrated. It permeates in all parts of British society, where anything that reasserts the idea that Britain is somehow special is unquestioningly supported.

Meanwhile, our terrifyingly powerful tabloid press have been demonising immigrants for years, making people angrier and angrier about something that has been economically beneficial to us, while carefully distracting us from the small number of already rich people who are taking the country's publicly-owned assets, stripping them for parts and storing the bounty in their private offshore bank accounts. Immigrants are routinely discussed in newspaper columns as if they're not even human and nobody even bats an eye anymore.

This year, tabloid newspapers have successfully made people angry enough to murder an MP and several immigrants, and incited a huge spike in hate crimes across the country (except in Scotland, where people are more reasonable). Nobody's willing to speak out against the tabloid newspapers though, because they're too powerful, so our government has taken the easy way out and just joined in with all of the immigrant hate. People just call it "concerns about immigrants", but the "concerns" are just unfounded fears, based on deliberate lies, with no evidence to support them or any basis in reality. Somehow it's perfectly acceptable for these newspapers, which have blatant lies and hate speech on the front pages, to be casually sold in supermarkets like it's no big deal.

So yeah, everything is blamed on immigrants, the immigrants are the EU's fault, and therefore every problem the UK has is somehow the EU's fault. British people are "special" and are entitled to everything they want by birthright, and anyone who wasn't born here who just wants a peaceful life and dignity is a "scrounger" who has come to rob us of all we have.

Never mind that the EU parliament is the closest thing we have to a democracy (a first past the post system, an unelected House of Lords and an actual monarchy in 2016 are celebrated as "sovereign", while the EU is _somehow_ "undemocratic"), and the EU provides UK citizens with countless benefits and protections, we're going to scrap all of that at tremendous cost to ourselves because a few pages of hate speech sold in supermarkets told us to.
Give this man a biscuit. Very eloquently put sir and 100% correct, thank you.

TicTocCroc

Mar 1, 2016
App. Filed.......
05-12-2016
Doc's Request.
21-02-2017, 01-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
05-12-2016
Well put!

Love that you think people are more reasonable in Scotland!!! We're too busy hating the English and getting into fights over which football team you support find time to deamonise other immigrants! ;)

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
TicTocCroc said:
Well put!

Love that you think people are more reasonable in Scotland!!! We're too busy hating the English and getting into fights over which football team you support find time to deamonise other immigrants! ;)
I mean... that _is_ more reasonable.

elfboots

Aug 7, 2014
Spielo said:
I'm hoping that I'll be able to move without transferring any GBP whatsoever...
That's what we did (being in the same horrible position as you!). I took a printout of our British bank statement as POF - as far as I can see it wouldn't matter because it's still accessible. Anyway we landed in Toronto and weren't even asked for proof. Since then I have just moved it as and when we need it, but obviously it has lost value.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
elfboots said:
That's what we did (being in the same horrible position as you!). I took a printout of our British bank statement as POF - as far as I can see it wouldn't matter because it's still accessible. Anyway we landed in Toronto and weren't even asked for proof. Since then I have just moved it as and when we need it, but obviously it has lost value.
thanks for confirming. hopefully we all wake up from this bad dream soon and some of our money regains some value.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if i may add my opinion, that is what happens when you let decide the majority that has little to no idea about the topic (especially how much is at stake). and such kind of stupid vote can be easily get in any big enoug group with mixed members.
The best advice i can give is to extract savings into cad (especially for those who are in some pnp step or see good chances to get out).
you will be awaiting several steps of currency deevaluation (with the economy results from second half of 2016, then with triggering article 50 as well as witj any other bigger anouncement from big companies).
There were already semi official statements that it would be ok for gbp to be on 1.18 to usd and speculations are that it might go even lower (like to eur or gbp parity).
The worst part that is now killing your economy is uncertainity. As markets kind of do not know what that country wants. And honestly as a purchaser i would dispose of such supplier as soon as possible and as a seller i would try to hit better customers as not stable one can drag me under.
Other thing that will sadly happen that uk will become an example what happens when you wanna cake and eat it too. And it is not because of any hate of people of uk. It is just simple to preserve atractivity of the eu club. And not for the sake of scaring other members but more for the sake to make it more understandable what does it mean to be a one single not that big and limited on resources country in these days. The only survival of europe is to keep together and stop useless quarelling.
And just for the reference you can see around plenty countries with mighty parts of history who are now in a much different position.

Kryton check if you have any chance to get irish or other eu passport. Another possibility is in hitting scotland. That is the other thing that can easily happen - uk to be split into england and wales then scottland and we might sed reunited ireland again.
Does it sound bad? not really thats life.
And last big problem uk got with tbat vote is a trust issue. It would be kind of hard to make deal with country that tries to change and negate everything in the middle.