+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada from USA- best port ?

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
hi all,
I live in OHio, US. I have received CoPr today and now I need to plan for my landing.
Can anyone help me to pick up the best route to do this. I have a kid accompanying me (12yr) so wish to know achieve this.
I was planning to fly to New york then train buffalo , rent a car and cross rainbow bridge and complete landing, stay there for a day and complete the health insu next. What kind of appointments I will need to take to complete this? Does this sound a doable thing? Can I rent a car from buffalo and use it in Canada? Or should I directly land by Air which is pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if you aren't moving permanently you can't sign up for health insurance. Why not drive to Windsor if that is the closest border. Your child will also have to land. Would be helpful if you specified if this was a permanent move or soft landing. if permanent move where you are heading.

Reactions: canaspirant18

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
if you aren't moving permanently you can't sign up for health insurance. Why not drive to Windsor if that is the closest border. Your child will also have to land. Would be helpful if you specified if this was a permanent move or soft landing. if permanent move where you are heading.
Thanks for replying.
This is soft landing.
I plan to move to Ontario permanently.
Windsor - suggestion is gr8 , 3 hrs away is very good !!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Technically you and your daughter can land and drive back home on the same day if you want. If you are staying longer you can get your sin number but you can get it when you move to Canada as well. You would have to go into Windsor to do that. if there is another closer border crossing you can go to that one.

Reactions: canaspirant18

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
Technically you and your daughter can land and drive back home on the same day if you want. If you are staying longer you can get your sin number but you can get it when you move to Canada as well. You would have to go into Windsor to do that. if there is another closer border crossing you can go to that one.
Thanks again.
The closest is Windsor I see on map.
SIN after moving sounds a good option.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks again.
The closest is Windsor I see on map.
SIN after moving sounds a good option.
We just bought a house in Windsor (closing in June) and will be moving there later this summer ( my spouse will be PR). Since now I often drive there from Detroit area ( learn the area, money transfer, enroll child to school, etc. ) I've found that it is very convenient crossing point. It's not busy at all if you use tunnel and custom officers are friendly and helpful (so far).

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
We just bought a house in Windsor (closing in June) and will be moving there later this summer ( my spouse will be PR). Since now I often drive there from Detroit area ( learn the area, money transfer, enroll child to school, etc. ) I've found that it is very convenient crossing point. It's not busy at all if you use tunnel and custom officers are friendly and helpful (so far).
Thanks for replying.
Your move to Canada from Detroit really sounds good n smooth. Wishing you good luck. I plan to move to Canada once I get a job. Hope this happens before the summer is over.

I would be due my landing and def use the tunnel to reach there.
Can you pl suggest if there's a beach nearby where we can spend the day stay in a hotel and drive back next day? I have heard that Detroit is not a safe place as of crime rate is concerned.

canaspirant18

Mar 10, 2018
So here's an update from my landing:
- This POE must be the most simple & easy way landing in Canada thru USA.:)
It took me 20 mins to complete the process. The staff here are very friendly, smiling and very professional. The officer at the Windsor tunnel entrance will ask you the purpose of your visit and I told that I have come to complete the PR landing process. She gave me a yellow slip and asked me to park my car at the office in front of the canada-windsor tunnel entrance. I then went inside and an officer called me and asked me the yellow slip. Then passports and documents. He took some time to key in some things in his computer and asked for Canadian address. He asked me whether I am moving today or going back. I told him that I would go back and come later. He asked me after how long? I told in 60 days. He said I am good to go and whether I have any questions. I asked about the SIN office and he said they are closed over the weekends.
That's it. Landing complete. :) No other docs asked funds, photos, nothing !
It was raining and temp was in 15 so we din feel like staying more. So we returned after taking a nice long ride along side Sand point beach.
While on our way back we took the tunnel again and paid 4$ (approx) to toll and then at POE USA the officer asked atleast 10+ questions.
He asked me what do I do, why did I go to Canada, what do I have in car,do you have vegetables or fruits, oranges? is this is a leased car, are you going straight back to ohio,are you gonna leave US then, what about your job, phew... there were few more questions tossed .. ! :confused:

- Now I couldnt complete SIN and so I will have to look at the alternate way , i.e. online , does anyone has any experience? any help is appreciated.
- And yes the tunnel is open all week , to get more info read this, http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/travel-resources/nexus-lane-hours-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

Thanks for the help canuck78 !

Reactions: Bilkish

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
So here's an update from my landing:
- This POE must be the most simple & easy way landing in Canada thru USA.:)
It took me 20 mins to complete the process. The staff here are very friendly, smiling and very professional. The officer at the Windsor tunnel entrance will ask you the purpose of your visit and I told that I have come to complete the PR landing process. She gave me a yellow slip and asked me to park my car at the office in front of the canada-windsor tunnel entrance. I then went inside and an officer called me and asked me the yellow slip. Then passports and documents. He took some time to key in some things in his computer and asked for Canadian address. He asked me whether I am moving today or going back. I told him that I would go back and come later. He asked me after how long? I told in 60 days. He said I am good to go and whether I have any questions. I asked about the SIN office and he said they are closed over the weekends.
That's it. Landing complete. :) No other docs asked funds, photos, nothing !
It was raining and temp was in 15 so we din feel like staying more. So we returned after taking a nice long ride along side Sand point beach.
While on our way back we took the tunnel again and paid 4$ (approx) to toll and then at POE USA the officer asked atleast 10+ questions.
He asked me what do I do, why did I go to Canada, what do I have in car,do you have vegetables or fruits, oranges? is this is a leased car, are you going straight back to ohio,are you gonna leave US then, what about your job, phew... there were few more questions tossed .. ! :confused:

- Now I couldnt complete SIN and so I will have to look at the alternate way , i.e. online , does anyone has any experience? any help is appreciated.
- And yes the tunnel is open all week , to get more info read this, http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/travel-resources/nexus-lane-hours-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

Thanks for the help canuck78 !
Ha - "along side Sand point beach." - That's very close to our future home at Dillon Dr, Windsor, ON...