+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada Dec 2017

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Hi there,

It would be nice to pool up and join hands so we can basically discuss about the local housing situation, where you will be staying initially and all other relevant info. for a new immigrant..

I will be landing on the 11th of December in Toronto and am planning for airbnb for about a week around the beaches area. I mean its like 20-25 kms from Downtown but really from the looks of it is an outer suburb.

Any of you in Toronto in and around December? I would be open to sharing/acquiring an apartment w/ a like minded individual..

prisai90

Mar 2, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey ,

I have plan to land in end of December... searching for apartment to rent in greater Toronto area

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Great, have you booked your tickets yet @prisai90 ? Where are you from?? I'm guessing somewhere within the 10-15 km radius of Downtown Will be much better. Places just like North York, York, Rosedale etc..

Reactions: prisai90

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Guys, i would recommend to look for stay in downtown during the winter. If you are new and dont have public transport near to the airbnb, then it will affect your day to day life....

Reactions: prisai90

prisai90

Mar 2, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great, have you booked your tickets yet @prisai90 ? Where are you from?? I'm guessing somewhere within the 10-15 km radius of Downtown Will be much better. Places just like North York, York, Rosedale etc..
Got my passport today ... will book tickets today . Can u mention areas around downtown where I can rent ?

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Yeah i was only talking about areas to stay for a week at airbnb not permanently. I think 5-6 kms area like rosedale, bloor n yonge should be good enough for us.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah i was only talking about areas to stay for a week at airbnb not permanently. I think 5-6 kms area like rosedale, bloor n yonge should be good enough for us.
Even for a week, please stay close to TTC public transport. Or else life is miserable during winter. Cannot walk long...

Reactions: sgemini

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
I am living in GTA (Brampton) in a nice basement apartment but will be moving to Waterloo by end of this month because of new job. If anybody is interested, then please send me a private message so that I can share the owner contact details.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

It would be nice to pool up and join hands so we can basically discuss about the local housing situation, where you will be staying initially and all other relevant info. for a new immigrant..

I will be landing on the 11th of December in Toronto and am planning for airbnb for about a week around the beaches area. I mean its like 20-25 kms from Downtown but really from the looks of it is an outer suburb.

Any of you in Toronto in and around December? I would be open to sharing/acquiring an apartment w/ a like minded individual..
Beaches is definitely not an outer suburbs. Would call it an eastern neighbourhood outside the downtown core but it is in Toronto.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Right now im living in greektown area in an airbnb. Need to move out .. Any body in the suburbs or close to downtown!??

tanya_sharma

Nov 26, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to go to Toronto in last week of December. I am planning to stay in downtown or areas near to public transport. This is my first time in Toronto. For settling in, I need a location near to banks and other facilities. Please provide the info and share your experiences.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Even for a week, please stay close to TTC public transport. Or else life is miserable during winter. Cannot walk long...
Fyi, the location suggested by jackbauer (bloor and yonge) is where the 2 main subway lines in Toronto meet (the yellow line and the green line), its probably the busiest TTC subway station and already very central. Rosedale is also along the subway line and one of Toronto's finest neighborhoods. In my opinion any location that's within walking distance from any subway station would suit a newcomer, as the subway is fast, efficient and a cheap way to get around (its not perfect though, but is still the best transportation mode in the city).

Also as long as you are properly dressed, you can do what you want in winter...walking around wouldn't be a big deal, in fact my advice to newcomers would be to move around, explore your new city and get familiar with it. If you have chosen to live here, you'll need to adjust and adapt to the new environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Could you please elaborate on this? I am planning to sell my US car before moving and renting an apartment/condo close to one of the Subway Stations and your answer will help me in making this decision.
Not a big deal to worry about, go ahead with your plans. :)..
I said its not perfect as other comparable cities around the world have a more efficient subway network..e.g. london, madrid

Toronto subway gets very crowded during rush ours (like a sardine can), if someone in some train presses the emergency alarm, all other trains behind it pile up and no train moves until that problem is solved, it could be a 1-2 mins delay, or even up to 30minutes, they never tell you what the issue is or estimate the delay duration...so better to leave early to work/or important appointments to avoid possible delays.
So to sum up, sometimes delays happen due to various reasons, but overall - subway service has improved over the years, and TTC is still working on improving it.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY