+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sharat_joshi77 said:
Very informative post. Thanks Qorax.

I have some questions:
1. I plan to carry only my personal stuff (clothes, camera, laptops, blank CDs, pre-written DVDs, money, jewelery, utensils etc) during landing. So I understand that all these items must be listed in the "on person" list. Now I will leave Canada after 3 weeks and will return after 6 months for final settlement. Do I have to list any items in Goods to follow list as well in this case ? Most of the things I will carry while landing, I will be taking those items only later as well.

2. Do we need to declare the jewelery items (and carry their pics) when I return to Canada second time ? I suppose that time, I can enter without any formalities as I will have the PRC with me by then.
1. If u do not intend to bring-in anything 'new' while u enter Canada again [later] -- u don't require to file the GTF B4. But do u?
2. Yes, if the jeweleries r being brought-in later - u must have the GTF B4 'stamped' during your 1st entry, aka 'landing'.

Qorax

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Re: Canada port of entry

mungi said:
Hello Everyone,
I got my student visa to Canada. Planning to land last week of august.I got few questions. Pls clarify it.Thanks in advance.

1. What are the general questions asked at the port of entry? Why you choose this program, how much mone do you have, how long are you planning to stay etc.
2. Do I need to show funds ??, do we need to carry any traveller's cheques or DD or bank statement Bank Statements only if the acct IS IN CANADA, otherwise DD, traveller's checks etc.
3. What other questions or documents that are necessary to carry at the port of entry?You passport with the Vali TRV/Study Permit, the approval letter for the study permit from the embassy, the approval letter from the educational institution
4. What If I don't have anyone in Canada or any address, what do we do?Contact the Intl Student office of the institution you were accepted into and see if they can provide you a temp mailing address, they will usually ask for the address where u are staying

rslcanada

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2010
Doc's Request.
06-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd) Ecas In Process 28-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-04-2010
Med's Request
04-10-2010 received in mail
Med's Done....
09-10(Oct)-2010 @ CT,USA
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 30'11; PP sent June 9/ rcvd by CIC June 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 20 & DM/received PP June 28, 2011
LANDED..........
August 7, 2011 via Winnipeg, MB stayed for 2wks & be back on July 2012
Hi Qorax,

Can I list a new car in goods to follow list even the car is not yet purchase to avoid importation tax? ill be migrating next yr to Canada via road (US). Ill bring my car & planning to buy another one here in US and bring it to Canada. I will land next month, just stay for 2wks and return to US.

rsl

ekram787

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Unknown
Category........
Visa Office......
None
App. Filed.......
None
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
None
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
None
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
None
Dear Qorax,

Hope you are fine!

We are grateful to you for your precious advice! Can you please provide an advise regarding below matter:
I will be able to carry CAD $10000 without notify them out of $13,837. How should I carry rest of the amount ($3837) with minimum effort/hassle?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Regards,
ekram787

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
rslcanada said:
Hi Qorax,

Can I list a new car in goods to follow list even the car is not yet purchase to avoid importation tax? ill be migrating next yr to Canada via road (US). Ill bring my car & planning to buy another one here in US and bring it to Canada. I will land next month, just stay for 2wks and return to US.

rsl
I tried to do the same but IO asked me about registration number of both cars. On declaration form, i did not mention about the possession. But when he came to know that car # 2 is due to purchase, rejected to accept it and agreed for the one already in use
try yr luck
asyousuf

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
ekram787 said:
Dear Qorax,

Hope you are fine!

We are grateful to you for your precious advice! Can you please provide an advise regarding below matter:
I will be able to carry CAD $10000 without notify them out of $13,837. How should I carry rest of the amount ($3837) with minimum effort/hassle?

Regards,
ekram787
U can carry in the form of DD, Traveller's cheque. DD will be a cause of concern as it takes minimum 21 working days to clear. Traveller's cheque are better option

asyousuf

peinggay

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
3152; 3233
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-10-2010
AOR Received.
09-03-2011
IELTS Request
sent with app - 8.5
File Transfer...
15-2-2011
Med's Request
15-3-2011
Med's Done....
21-4-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-7-2011
VISA ISSUED...
in God's time...
LANDED..........
January 2012
Hi Qorax,

I just stumbled into this informative thread. Thank you Qorax for the inputs you give, they are very helpful. :-*

I will be coming from the USA to Canada, and I have questions in transporting personal items (e.g. personal computer, books, etc). Here are some questions I have in mind:

1) if I hire a transport company, will I have any problem with the Canadian customs e.g duties/taxes? Is there anybody here who have any experience using a transport company/movers?
2) if I will rent a car in the US and use it to "land" in canada (first entry), will there be a problem on the use of this with the Canadian immigration officers or customs? What are the requirements in the use of rented vehicles?

Thanks,

Peinggay

Air Canada

Jul 16, 2011
Lahore-Pakistan
Visa Office......
CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010 CHC Islamabad
File Transfer...
30 June 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 2011
Interview........
CSQ interview Nov 2009
THanks alot :) it is indeed very helpfullll

ekram787

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Unknown
Category........
Visa Office......
None
App. Filed.......
None
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
None
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
None
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
None
asyousuf said:
U can carry in the form of DD, Traveller's cheque. DD will be a cause of concern as it takes minimum 21 working days to clear. Traveller's cheque are better option

asyousuf
Dear asyousuf,

+1 for your answer. Can I use traveller cheque without being account holder of a Bank?

Thanks,
ekram787

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rslcanada said:
Hi Qorax,

rsl
U can't.
U should have a 'clear title' of the car before the day u 'land'.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ekram787 said:
Dear Qorax,

Hope you are fine!

Regards,
ekram787
That amount is small -- u may try carrying the whole in 'cash'.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
peinggay said:
Hi Qorax,

I just stumbled into this informative thread. Thank you Qorax for the inputs you give, they are very helpful. :-*

I will be coming from the USA to Canada, and I have questions in transporting personal items (e.g. personal computer, books, etc). Here are some questions I have in mind:

1) if I hire a transport company, will I have any problem with the Canadian customs e.g duties/taxes? Is there anybody here who have any experience using a transport company/movers?
2) if I will rent a car in the US and use it to "land" in canada (first entry), will there be a problem on the use of this with the Canadian immigration officers or customs? What are the requirements in the use of rented vehicles?

Thanks,

Peinggay
1. No issues there... many do it likewise. As your goods reach Canada - they'd be on-hold@customs... u'd visit them with your 'stamped' B4 & clear the goods w/out paying a cent.

2. No issues there again... pls read my thread on "landing by car" -- to know more on it.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ekram787 said:
Dear asyousuf,

+1 for your answer. Can I use traveller cheque without being account holder of a Bank?

Thanks,
ekram787
U don't require a bank a/c to purchase TCs. They r available in many banks, as well Exchange Houses,@a price.
Qorax

jc_rain

Star Member
Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-10
AOR Received.
16-06-10
File Transfer...
22-06-10
Med's Done....
19-11-10
Passport Req..
31-05-11
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-11
LANDED..........
In God's perfect time...
Hi! Qorax and to all seniors,

Thanks for all your inputs... You're very helpful to us who been wondering what to do.

I also have a query regarding traveler's check.
- I have a sister in the US, who will help me with my settlement funds by the time I will land in Canada. She's planning to send a traveler's check from the US to the Philippines. Is it OK to use it as my POF upon landing? Will the VO not question it?

Thanks in advance.

jc_rain

qorax said:
U don't require a bank a/c to purchase TCs. They r available in many banks, as well Exchange Houses, @ a price.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jc_rain said:
Hi! Qorax and to all seniors,

Thanks for all your inputs... You're very helpful to us who been wondering what to do.

I also have a query regarding traveler's check.
- I have a sister in the US, who will help me with my settlement funds by the time I will land in Canada. She's planning to send a traveler's check from the US to the Philippines. Is it OK to use it as my POF upon landing? Will the VO not question it?

Thanks in advance.

jc_rain
Yes, it's Ok.