+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

kingskid

Feb 20, 2014
Songsort said:
My younger brother has just got his RP visa for himself and his family. One of his sons is actually attending school in Canada. In that case, does his son need to leave Canada and then land with or after my brother?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.
The child can do either of two things 1. Go to a immigration office in his province to process landing documents or 2 go out of Canada and re enter.

Songsort

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2015
Thanks kingskid.

When issuing PR visa, the visa office actually cancelled his student visa. So I guess the best choice for him is option 1 "Go to a immigration office in his province to process landing documents" after his father has landed.

amayra

Star Member
May 6, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
Nomination.....
04-09-2014
IELTS Request
Already submitted
Med's Request
self : 12-11-2014, spouse & baby : 27-08-2015 Re- medical : 22-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2015
LANDED..........
23rd march 2016
shariq123 said:
I got PPR email yesterday and since me and my wife's medicals expire on 16 may 2017, I'm sure my CoPR letter will mention that we have to land before 16 may 2017. The thing is my wife is expecting and the delivery due date is early June. We will not get permission to fly 2 weeks before delivery by our doctor here. I just want to ask if this situation is acceptable enough for CIC to extend my landing date? It would be great if we could get our baby delivered in our home country, get the baby added to our CoPR and then all 3 of us make our landing together. Is it possible?
I was in same situation as you, i informed CIC about my pregnancy and they kept my file on hold untill i delivered and sent them my babies documents. They added my baby to our file and all of us got visa and we landed in March 2016.
Well you can plan to come to canada earlier like in march and deliver baby here, that way baby will get canadian citizenship and there wont be any hassel of adding new born. But ya you would have to buy insurance especially for your wife if you want to deliver in canada. In canada you are covered under OHIP for deliver only if you are physically present in canada before 6 month before your delivery period.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
amayra said:
In canada you are covered under OHIP for deliver only if you are physically present in canada before 6 month before your delivery period.
The OHIP waiting period for newcomers to Ontario is only 3 months, not 6.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_waiting_pd.aspx

Tarundhingraa

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
Experience of Landing

Indian Immigration officer was too funny so there was not a single hitch.
Take Air canada direct flight from delhi as the staff is too good.they allowed me 26 kg each bag 9 (PR Skills :) ) and they do have a 2 bags which can go in cabin with 10 kgs each ( one for personal items that is laptops etc and one for cabin ) and also its dirent so u dont have to worry about double immigration also ..

Canada immigration was really too good and simple and helpful.took me to cross 2 counters of immigration in like 10 mins only and i was welcomed by them.

Smokers :- Carry one pack of smokes ( 200 pieces ) which is $ 25 ( usd ) and in canada its 13 for one pack which is really expensive

Life is good. All the best people ....

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tarundhingraa said:
Smokers :- Carry one pack of smokes ( 200 pieces ) which is $ 25 ( usd ) and in canada its 13 for one pack which is really expensive
Depending where you buy your smokes. I paid less than $25 (usd).

siddhartha_gautama

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Does SIN card processing happen at airport itself on landing OR do we need to visit Service Canada next day ?

At airport or at Service Canada center, do we fill form by hand or is it filled by Service Canada representative directly in the computer ?
Should we prefill nas-2120-(08-16)e and carry a printout with us ?

SOTAJ

Mar 29, 2013
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
15-Jan-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
24-Jul-2015
Interview........
N/A By His grace
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
02-May-2016
siddhartha_gautama said:
Does SIN card processing happen at airport itself on landing OR do we need to visit Service Canada next day ?

At airport or at Service Canada center, do we fill form by hand or is it filled by Service Canada representative directly in the computer ?
They no longer issue cards. It's just a paper print out. And yes, you can apply for it at the service Canada desk inside the airport. You are not filling any form, the officer will do all the filling with just some questions.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
siddhartha_gautama said:

If you land on a week day during working hours, you can pick up your SIN print out at their office in the airport otherwise you go to a Service Canada office in the city the next working day.

ovey

Star Member
Sep 13, 2014
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2014
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
30-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-03-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
16-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2016
LANDED..........
In Sha Allah soon
Hi all. I have few queries about landing in Canada. My preferable destination is Ottawa. But I have transit in Toronto. So, my question is in which airport I have face IO to finish my landing procedure? My transit airport Toronto (yyz)/ final destination Ottawa (yow)? If I have to face io at yyz is 2 hour 25 min time enough to finish landing procedure and catch connecting flight? Thanks.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
ovey said:
Hi all. I have few queries about landing in Canada. My preferable destination is Ottawa. But I have transit in Toronto. So, my question is in which airport I have face IO to finish my landing procedure? My transit airport Toronto (yyz)/ final destination Ottawa (yow)? If I have to face io at yyz is 2 hour 25 min time enough to finish landing procedure and catch connecting flight? Thanks.
Toronto is your first entry point to Canada, so you will be completing your landing formalities there.

2 hours and 25 minutes should be fine..unless there's an extremely long queu, but lets say worst case scenario - if that happens try to speak to people in front of you in the queu and/or officers that pass by ..

siddhartha_gautama

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Hi,

Due to some reasons, I need to carry 12K CAD in cash during travel for landing procedure.

Is that OK from Indian and Canadian customs point of view ?
1. Do I need to carry some documents to show at Indian customs ?
2. 10K CAD limit of CBSA is per person or per family ? Can we, family of 2 adult and 2 kids, carry 12K CAD without declaring to CBSA ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
siddhartha_gautama said:
Hi,

Due to some reasons, I need to carry 12K CAD in cash during travel for landing procedure.

Is that OK from Indian and Canadian customs point of view ?
1. Do I need to carry some documents to show at Indian customs ?
2. 10K CAD limit of CBSA is per person or per family ? Can we, family of 2 adult and 2 kids, carry 12K CAD without declaring to CBSA ?
gatorengineer said:
Right on the Canadian Side (No limit, Just need to be declared)
Indians, however, limit it to 2000 cash and 8000 in other instruments (USD).

gopscanada

Apr 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-03-2016
File Transfer...
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
19-01-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
2017-01-05
VISA ISSUED...
9-01-2017
LANDED..........
16-01-2017
Hello folks.
Excellent and very useful thread. Kudos to Quorax for a wonderful summary.
My wife will be coming before 18 Jan to BC (arriving in Vancouver). I am a Canadian citizen and she is the new pr. I understand the process for pr card, sin card etc.
My query relates to health card in BC. I realize, we have to wait for 3 months. I do have work extended health coverage for which I can add her. Do I still need to get a private health insurance for 3 months? Or will my work insurance (sunlife) will be adequate?

Any other tips for a newcomer?

What is involved in changing the last name? If we do how do we manage the existing passport and PR , SIN, etc as they will have her current last name as the name change will occur later?

Thank you kindly.