+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

asty16

Nov 3, 2010
YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE MUST NOT BE EXPIRED FOR MORE THAN A YEAR AT THE TIME OF EXCHANGE IN ORDER TO BE VALID. YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR EXPERIENCE ONLY DEPENDENT ON THE TIME OF EXPIRY.

Source:www dot drivetest dot ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

I landed on Nov 2nd. I had an Indiana, USA DL which was expired for 3.5 months. I specifically asked the MTO person if it is ok upto 1 yr. She said it is ok upto 1 yr of expiry. I also had to provide a drivers record abstract from the BMV indiana website (official copy on the letterhead)
Also, all you need is a Primary proof of Name, Signature and DOB. You do not need address proof. All this is here:www dot drivetest dot ca/en/license/HowToApply.aspx
So dont bother about bank statements.
If you have more than 2yrs in the past 3 yrs, you get a G license straight away. Anything less, you get a G2 license (I am not sure if the experience required is < 2yrs or between 1yr and 2 yrs)

anushauc said:
Add this to Captain's (Qorax) quote.

If the license is expired, it should be < 6 months of expiry.
You need the driving history/ details from your DMV ( for a couple of states in the US, they would accept without the letter ).

But while applying, they would ask for 2-3 pieces of proof and you would need the Bank statement etc for the address proof here along with landing papers and passport. For this would need to have been inside the country for a month or so.

otherwise you have to go through the entire procedure as a normal person.

Regards,
Anusha & Chari

lakhar5

Oct 9, 2010
You are right ASTY16. I landed on Nov 1st through Windsor Port of Entry. I had more than two years Ohio, USA license. I went to one of the licensing agencies in Toronto. I submitted them the proofs - a) Original application filed abstract ( which shows my original application, when it was first issued and lot of other details) b) Driving Record.

There was one lady who couldn't understand these docs. Even, the supervisor said that she hadn't seen such documents ever. Another employee suggested that these are acceptable documents. But supervisor told me that they are going to call Central office. They kept me waiting for 1 and half hours and said that they got the information from Central office and I am eligible for G license.

They issued G license to me.

No other documents are required. If you have US license which is not expired for more than 1 year, You can show them. But you have to get the above said documents ( points a and b) from respective DMV office in US

Nov 7, 2010
Dear QORAX.

Let me begin by saying Thank You for all the help that you've been providing to the people in this forum here. I have a question for you and would really appreciate your insight here :-

I got my Canadian PR stamped this year in July and now I have till April' 11 to complete my landing formalities. I started with my MBA program in NY state in October and because of the busy schedule, I would like to complete my landing process in coming X'Mas holidays by road ( bus ) at Niagara. I understand that I'll have to give an address for my PR card at the border and I will do that. Also, I'll get to Toronto and then apply for my SIN and stuff. However, I'll come back in a week or so.

Now my ques. is that when I go there again, by the same route and take bus as I will do this time, would my COPR be sufficient to enter? I know that flying into Canada would be a problem and I would need a special Visa for that but going by bus would be OK ? My only confusion is that do I need to be driving a car ( rental or my own ) for using my COPR to enter Canada or even bus can do ?

Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ash_wani_gupta said:
Dear QORAX.

Let me begin by saying Thank You for all the help that you've been providing to the people in this forum here. I have a question for you and would really appreciate your insight here :-

I got my Canadian PR stamped this year in July and now I have till April' 11 to complete my landing formalities. I started with my MBA program in NY state in October and because of the busy schedule, I would like to complete my landing process in coming X'Mas holidays by road ( bus ) at Niagara. I understand that I'll have to give an address for my PR card at the border and I will do that. Also, I'll get to Toronto and then apply for my SIN and stuff. However, I'll come back in a week or so.

Now my ques. is that when I go there again, by the same route and take bus as I will do this time, would my COPR be sufficient to enter? I know that flying into Canada would be a problem and I would need a special Visa for that but going by bus would be OK ? My only confusion is that do I need to be driving a car ( rental or my own ) for using my COPR to enter Canada or even bus can do ?

Thanks.
Hi Ashwani,

Landing u can do thru a bus, but as I understand - reEntry into Canada u can't w/out the PR card, even that technically u r entering by road.

The COPR is valid for entry by car - not by a commercial carrier, be it thru an Airline, Train, Seaway or a Busliner. Yes, any public carrier has a duty to Xcheck your PRCs. Thus, IMHO, Greyhound also lawfully require to see your PR cards to let u in.

Qorax

Nov 7, 2010
Thanks, Qorax !

And what if I take a rental car on my second visit (next visit after landing) with COPR in hand ? Or, by foot via Rainbow bridge with COPR in my hand?

Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ash_wani_gupta said:
Thanks, Qorax !

And what if I take a rental car on my second visit (next visit after landing) with COPR in hand ? Or, by foot via Rainbow bridge with COPR in my hand?

Thanks.
Not a problem.

asitoja

Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2010
Doc's Request.
01-06-2010
AOR Received.
02-07-10
File Transfer...
06-09-10
Med's Request
25-08-10
Med's Done....
20-09-10, 29-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-11-10
VISA ISSUED...
03-25-11
LANDED..........
04-19-11
Qorax,,what if we made a bank transaction (withdrawal) while waiting for the visa, but the balance left is still more than the required POF? do u think it will be a problem?
qorax said:
One word...
Don't!

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
asitoja said:
Qorax,,what if we made a bank transaction (withdrawal) while waiting for the visa, but the balance left is still more than the required POF? do u think it will be a problem?
Not a problem.

sohailss

Star Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dear Qorax;

I need you advise on the following;

I will be in Toronto on 19-Nov-2010 with my wife and one son;

1. Medical and PR Card

I will be travleing with wife in pragagny week of 34, I have taken temprary travel insurance for 3 month here from a company in saudi Arabia but maternity is not covered, so what do you advise, which would be the cost and how to find the doctor? What is process to get PR card? Can I leave without PR card to saudi?

2. Proof of fund

I have already taken about 18,000 Canadian dollar cash with me, is this ok?

3. Return to Saudi

Since I need to retrun to saudi with in 30 days time, how quikcly, I will be able to get the brith registration and brith ceritificate and passport of new new born, so that I should be able to get back home quikcly. I have one of close relative there, who enusred fully help in all respect as well.
Thanks and Best regards

Romford

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23rd Sep 09
Med's Request
5 Nov 09
Med's Done....
6 Nov 09
Passport Req..
April 10, again July 10
VISA ISSUED...
July 10
LANDED..........
Oct 4, 2010......
Shinygirl said:
Romford
Seems like you declared the jewelry you took to Canada... did you take that back when you returned to London?
Shinygirl,
All jewellary photos and list was mentioned on goods to follow list. we never took them with us.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sohailss said:
Dear Qorax;

I need you advise on the following;

I will be in Toronto on 19-Nov-2010 with my wife and one son;

1. Medical and PR Card

I will be travleing with wife in pragagny week of 34, I have taken temprary travel insurance for 3 month here from a company in saudi Arabia but maternity is not covered, so what do you advise, which would be the cost and how to find the doctor? What is process to get PR card? Can I leave without PR card to saudi?

2. Proof of fund

I have already taken about 18,000 Canadian dollar cash with me, is this ok?

3. Return to Saudi

Since I need to retrun to saudi with in 30 days time, how quikcly, I will be able to get the brith registration and brith ceritificate and passport of new new born, so that I should be able to get back home quikcly. I have one of close relative there, who enusred fully help in all respect as well.
Thanks and Best regards
1. If u can - head for Alberta. 'coz in Ontario u'd not be covered till 90 days of landing. That means - u'd be paying for the delivery, pre-natal & post-natal costs yourselves. -Its hefty.

2. Upon delivery, the Birth Cert shouldn't tale long - usually by a week max. Passports would take sometime - probably a month (I'm not aware though).

3. Here for everything u require a Family Physician. That's tricky - as it takes time to fetch one, besides w/out the OHIP u wouldn't have any recourse too. So, upon landing imdtly head for a "Walk-in Clinic"... these r everywhere.

4. Check the POF table for the right amount for 2 pax.

Qorax

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Qorax / Other members,

The following is my experience of landing in Canada as well as the settling down process and finally the job search.
I have split it in 3 parts - landing process,settlement process,job process
I have only listed my experience and my intention is to pass on the info which maybe both positive and negative.

Landing Process -

- I landed in Calgary in the beginning of Oct'10.
- The landing process – We(my wife and kid) came thro British airways from India after a changeover at London.The food and the comfort levels inside the flight were ok but the service was not something to shout about.But I heard the Luft flights via Frankfurt were worse in terms of seat comfort compared to BA.
- If you want to call India from London during the stopover,then you better carry the calling cards form India.I hopped on to the internet at the London airport as somebody had not utilised the time fully and it was open.
- Do not carry any perfumes or body sprays of more than 100 ml.At the London airport we were delayed as we had 200 ml liquid with us of body spray in the hand baggage.
- Once we reached Calgary we were met by the passport control who guided us to the immigration counters and welcomed us in a nice manner.
- At the immigration,very few people were there and we applied for our PR cards.It is a very simple process and you only need to have the local address ready.I had filled in some PR application forms which were not necessary.Still not received.
- From there we went to the Customs.The guy at the counter was impressed with the way I had organised the papers and photos of both B4 and B4A.The result was he never told us to open anything and just asked me to show him the dollar draft which I was carrying.At the PR process we were asked how much funds we are carrying.
- We came out and were received by my relative with whom we intended to stay.He arranged for a Limo at the airport and we reached his place.It was night time and we took rest after chatting for a long time as we were meeting after a long time.

Settlement Process –

- The next day we went for the SIN card.It was applied at the service Canada office near the Chinook mall,We were received in an impressive way and were given the pamphlets and necessary papers needed for integrating into the Canadian way of life.
- At this place they have free internet services and telephone services.Also they have literature on how to build your resume,the Canadian way.
- Due to the recession, the govt had sponsored a programme called tactics for success,but this was discontinued from nov'10 as the official word here is, Canada is limping out of recession.
- Since then I have received the SIN cards for all the family.
- From there went and applied for the Alberta health card which we have to do in registries which have been opened at different locations.We got the card immediately and we were told that the insurance coverage starts from the day we landed.
- Then another day I went for the driving licence.I was told to take a computer test of 30 questions out of which we need to answer 25 correctly.I got the handbook from the registry itself for free and prepared myself and passed the test at the first attempt.There is no time limit for the test.
- Subsequently I got my eye tested at the same place and I was handed over my Alberta class 7 driving licence with which I cannot do anything.I submitted my Indian driving licence along with the RTA letter for waiver of the waiting period for GDL licence or class 5 licence.I got the waiver in 2 weks time and I am now intending to take the road test after undergoing some driving classes and theory classes for which I need to enrol in the driving institute.
- I opened a bank account with the RBC as they have a programme for new immigrants.They gave me waiver of fees for one year and they gave me their popular savings account as I had deposited the dollar draft with them.Also they have approved for me a credit card for 1,000/= dollars.Cheque book of 100 leaves is also free.
- In between we went to Edmonton as my relative drove me and my family and we visited the West Edmonton mall which is quite huge with all the brands under a single roof.Also there is a huge area for kid games.
- I sent my wife and kid back after a week's stay as I intended to settle down first before I bring them here for good ,maybe after 6 months.
- I fell sick due to the cold climate, to which I have never been exposed to this extent,I utilised my insurance card and had to pay only for the prescriptions.But even the medicines are expensive here and when you get a job you should try to get your employer to cover at least 70-80% of the prescriptions and eye and dental care as the insurance does not cover.It may have been necessary to go to the physio for me but luckily I improved.Mind you physio is not covered and physio or the chiropractor will cost you exhorbitant.
- Still I have not got the hang of the mobile phone scene in Canada and every operator is a rip off.Unfortunately for a developed country like Canada the mobile scene is quite primitive and the reason is they are monopolising with a few operators and not encouraging healthy competition,resulting in woes for the customer.I would welcome if anybody can give me the name of a mobile operator who is square and fair in his dealings.And mind you, do not ever enter into any sort of contract.Always double check the contract if you want to enter.

Job process –

- After I sent my family I went headlong into my job search.I am an accountant and I was looking for a job in my same profession.
- Initially I went leather and tongs with my cv application and started applying thro the net across canada wherever there was an accounting job.I was open for relocation.But this strategy of mine was error prone.
- First of all you need to evaluate your foreign credentials.I have sent mine for evaluation and orally they have given me advanced standing status in my profession which I incorporated in my cv.It helped me for future applications.
- Then I changed my cv a little bit by downplaying my experience as I have 15 years of experience and the Canadian market does not recognise it.So what use, is having it, as it discouraged employers as they thought maybe they would not be able to accommodate me in the middle rung or entry level positions.
- I met the job consultants and also attended a career job fair from where I came to know the importance of tailoring your resume w.r.t. the job you are applying.Also the cover note to the resume was modified showing your strengths vis a vis the company requirement.
- The consultants told me that I have three options to land a job – 1.) I should be open to entry level jobs in my profession and start applying for it as even though my qualifications were partly recognised but I do not have the Canadian experience.My friends,I tell you ,Canadian experience is the biggest stumbling block for all of us.2.)Try to apply and get a contractual job in the oil and gas industry.This is a temporary job but the pay or the rate per hour will be high compared to a normal job as there are no benefits other than the money in this.Here chances are good as being temporary the employer will take a chance with a guy without Canadian experience.It is hire and fire.3.)Networking – Please note this word is the most important in Canada.Most of the Canadian people themselves jump jobs because of their network.How to get this – is a difficult question and you need to keep your eyes and ears open and try to build the network thro a chain of people.You have to start somewhere.As we people are new to this place we are severely handicapped.Eg: Here the recruitment is done by the hiring manager and not the HR manager.The hiring manager is the guy who is directly related to the position for which you are taken in.Hence always try to get the contacts of hiring managers and give them cold calls.Do not worry about the impact.Nothing adverse will happen.
- Based on the above I changed my approach and started applying selectively and by modifications to the cv based on the job on hand.
- Of course there are so many other things which I have missed out or which does not come to my mind.
- This is a whole time job which I did for one month day and night literally.I used to sit up before the computer from morning upto evening as if it was a job at the office.
- Thro the good offices of my relative,he forwarded my resume based on an opportunity inside his office to the hiring manager as by chance he came to know who the hiring manager was.Based on his email I was called for an interview after the 3rd day of my landing.I attended the interview,did very well both technically as well as soft skills.I was very confident and assumed that I had landed this job.But I waited for 3 weeks,no word from them and one fine day I got a rejection email.I was down and out and thought that I had let slip off a golden opportunity presented to me on a platter after I landed.Add to it ,it was top notch company.Most of the questions were concerning behavioural skills and if you get an interview call then more than half the battle is won.
- Then the same I st week of my landing I got another interview call for an opportunity I had applied when I was working in dubai.This was a very old and reputed company in Canada.The nature of job needed lot of networking abilities where I found myself wanting at this stage.So here the chances were limited.
- After this almost for a month I had nothing on my plate and was really getting depressed off and on.I prayed to god that desperation should not set in and intended to join in the same profession rather than doing survival jobs.
- After exactly a month I got an interview call.Initially after applying I was constantly in touch with the HR and she gave told me the process of selection.But after following up for almost a fortnight one fine day when I contacted them again the HR told me that job is on hold and the Hiring manager may reconsider it after sometime.Then I went to the website of that company and got hold of one of the email IDs of the Hiring guy there and sent him a cold mail explaining myself.I do not know what happened but the guy replied immediately and asked me out for an interview.We met outside the office and he was impressed by me and told me to come to the office for a second round of interview.I was able to impress his boss too and I got the job offer in my same profession at almost the same level with a pay packet in recognition of my qualifications and experience.
- It has been a roller coaster ride of a month at times depressing .But somehow I tried to extricate out of this by concentrating on the few positives.A positive attitude with the necessary drive is essential here no matter what you are or who you are.It has been an experience which I took upon myself and even if I did not succeed I do not have any boby to blame except for me as the decision to immigrate was mine and I was fully aware of the potholes ahead.So be aware and be ahead of the bunch should be the motto.Jobs are available.It is only that you need to be at the right place at the right time.Some people call it luck but I would call it destiny.
- I have received a call for another interview after I got the firm offer.So it looks like the economy is on the verge of recovery and hope it stays that way.
- I am right now on my house search which is quite expensive here.So long my stay at my relative's place saved me my penny for which I am thankful.

I have got a lot from this forum especially from our dear captain Qorax and other members.This is just a small way of my reciprocation.
Qorax and other senior members - you people are doing a tremendous yeoman service and it is my suggestion that you enliven this forum by your thought process and genuine intention to help others, of course ,based on your personal commitments which differ from individual to individual.
All the best to all the prospective immigrants as well as to the recently landed immigrants.Keep working at it and leave the rest to destiny which never let's any genuine effort go in vain.
Special mention for Qorax – You just do not stop amazing me with your energy,wisdom and selfless service which you have volunteered.Hats off to you.I have been a sort of muted spectator at this forum but the way and the promptness with which Qorax replies back is phenomenal.
Thanks for reading this mail.It will be a bonus for me if you take any positives from here.

Regards

Pen Pal

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
penpal said:
Hi Qorax / Other members,

The following is my experience of landing in Canada as well as the settling down process and finally the job search.
I have split it in 3 parts - landing process,settlement process,job process
I have only listed my experience and my intention is to pass on the info which maybe both positive and negative....

...Special mention for Qorax – You just do not stop amazing me with your energy,wisdom and selfless service which you have volunteered.Hats off to you.I have been a sort of muted spectator at this forum but the way and the promptness with which Qorax replies back is phenomenal.
Thanks for reading this mail.It will be a bonus for me if you take any positives from here.

Regards

Pen Pal
Congrats Penpal !
Welcome Aboard...

Qorax

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Congratulations PenPal! Your post is very inspiring. I am also an accountant and will be landing in Calgary within this month.

at9459

May 30, 2009
Hello Qorax
How difficult is it to drive in snow?
I don't have any experience being from Delhi.
I plan to enter in mid/late Dec10 and I plan to rent a car.