+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

ASK

Dec 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2009
AOR Received.
29 Jun 2010
File Transfer...
06 Jan 2010
Med's Request
09 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
20 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
04 June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
01 July 2013
LANDED..........
06 Oct 2013 (hopefully)
Applied2009 said:
Thanks ASK - I ve alreday tried taht and now waiting for 28 days to lapse :)
Have you received any response for your CSE yet?

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
Second coming to Canada Qorax please

Hello Qorax,
Its been a long time since i wrote to you. You have always been a great help. I have done my 'Landing' in Toronto in June 2012, where i stayed for 7 weeks while in Canada. Currently i'm back in India.
I have a few queries, please:
1. This year i plan to explore Vancouver. Is there anything i need to do on arrival at Vancouver to log in my arrival or is it automatically done? I had read somewhere that sometimes the airport authorities dont log you in the correct files so that particular entry in Canada can get missed.

2. Do i need to save up my Boarding Passes each time i come to Canada? i think you have mentioned this in some forum.

3. I stayed last time with some people as a paying guest. This time again it will be the same. I don't get a receipt for the 'rental' that i pay. What proof must i have that i actually stayed in Canada considering that may frauds happen wherein people go back and ask their local friends to make some bank transactions/something to indicate that they actually were in Canada during that period.

4. I got my G1 Driving License in Toronto in my last visit. A scanned copy of the Driving License Translation (which i had forgotten to carry with me, despite reading your post about it) was not considered valid.
My query to you: Will this help by allowing me to directly take the Road Test in BC without taking the Written Test or do i need to go the whole hog in BC?

5. Can i request at the airport to visit the Newcomers' Corner, since i'm no longer a newcomer to Canada but a newcomer to BC, where one can get very good newcomer material, not available elsewhere?

6. Could you possibly share information/a link about health insurance in BC. I plan to stay in BC a little over 6 months. How should i plan the health insurance?

7. The place where i will be staying will have Wi-Fi. Could you suggest a good mobile connection with good india and europe calling rates.

8. I'm working towards my citizenship. Just in case i'm unable to complete the required stay for citizenship and i apply for extension of PR, is it automatically given? Or is there a screening process of any kind. I have a fear that since i'm on the wrong side of 50 i may not get an extension. Is my fear justified?

9. My husband, accompanying spouse in my application, missed his landing deadline and is not accompanying me this visit too. He cannot. The nature of his job is such. Can i be asked about this and what is it that i can say without being dishonest?
I dearly wish, Qorax, that you see this post and answer.
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Second coming to Canada Qorax please

lotus20 said:
1. This year i plan to explore Vancouver. Is there anything i need to do on arrival at Vancouver to log in my arrival or is it automatically done? I had read somewhere that sometimes the airport authorities dont log you in the correct files so that particular entry in Canada can get missed.

No, you don't have to ask anybody to log anything.

2. Do i need to save up my Boarding Passes each time i come to Canada? i think you have mentioned this in some forum.

You should and more importantly your boarding passes from leaving because when it comes to renewing your PR card or applying for citizenship, you will need detailed info on your travels in and out of Canada as well as your complete address history. Canada immigration is likely to log your entries but they may not have your exit info.

3. I stayed last time with some people as a paying guest. This time again it will be the same. I don't get a receipt for the 'rental' that i pay. What proof must i have that i actually stayed in Canada considering that may frauds happen wherein people go back and ask their local friends to make some bank transactions/something to indicate that they actually were in Canada during that period.

It is hard to prove if you are not working, volunteering, taking a course or anything else where some 3rd party can verify you were there. Maybe you should consider taking a course this time.

4. I got my G1 Driving License in Toronto in my last visit. A scanned copy of the Driving License Translation (which i had forgotten to carry with me, despite reading your post about it) was not considered valid.
My query to you: Will this help by allowing me to directly take the Road Test in BC without taking the Written Test or do i need to go the whole hog in BC?

Getting the G1 license may have been a mistake as if you do not get your foreign license authenticated and enter the GDL system, you may have to stay in the GDL system and do the waiting periods. However, because it's already a year since you took the written exam in Toronto, you have already waited for a year so BC should accept your G1 license which in BC would be called Learners, see http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/graduated-licensing and they should allow you to take the basic road test and get a Novice license (in Ontario known as G2) and you would be able to drive by yourself at least.

5. Can i request at the airport to visit the Newcomers' Corner, since i'm no longer a newcomer to Canada but a newcomer to BC, where one can get very good newcomer material, not available elsewhere?

Of course you can request it but will they allow it, no idea.

6. Could you possibly share information/a link about health insurance in BC. I plan to stay in BC a little over 6 months. How should i plan the health insurance?

There is a waiting time of health insurance in BC, 2 months plus the balance of the third so if you arrive on any day in June, you would be eligible on September 1st or if you arrive in July, you would be eligible on October 1st. You should get travel insurance to cover you in the meantime in case of an accident or emergency. You can find the info here on how to register: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html The monthly rate for BC health is $66.50 for a single person, see http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html You can also get Pharmacare, see http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmacare/index.html to help you with cost of medication. BC health eligibility is based on staying in BC for at least 6 months a year so make sure you do stay for at least 6 months this time and if you leave for more than 6 months again, make sure to let them know so you can stop paying the premiums and they can cancel your health care. If you do not stay for 6 months in your first year, they could decide that you were never eligible for it in the first place and cancel it retroactively and backcharge you for the medical services they have covered for you.

8. I'm working towards my citizenship. Just in case i'm unable to complete the required stay for citizenship and i apply for extension of PR, is it automatically given? Or is there a screening process of any kind. I have a fear that since i'm on the wrong side of 50 i may not get an extension. Is my fear justified?

No, your fear is not justified. When you apply to renew your PR card, they will look at if you have spent at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR or the past 5 years if you have been a PR for longer than 5 years. As long as you keep meeting the residency obligation and can prove it and stay away from crime, you can keep your PR forever. However, for citizenship, you must have 1095 days in a 4 year period so if you continue to stay for a couple of or 6 months here and there, you may never get to the point that you meet the requirements because your time spent more than 4 years ago will not count any more. Look at it this way.. over a 4 year period, you can be outside Canada for max. one year. If you want to use your 7 weeks you stayed at the beginning for your citizenship, you must return within a year of having left and you only have the balance of that year that you can be outside Canada for the next 3. Say if you were gone for 10 months now, you would have 2 months you can be outside for the next 3 years.

9. My husband, accompanying spouse in my application, missed his landing deadline and is not accompanying me this visit too. He cannot. The nature of his job is such. Can i be asked about this and what is it that i can say without being dishonest?

Tell the truth. His job prevented him from meeting the deadline and therefore he lost his opportunity of getting the PR. This will not have any effect on your PR because he was the accompanying spouse and it's up to him if he wants to come to Canada or not. If he is also Indian, he will need a visit visa to visit you in Canada. Getting a visit visa when you have a Canadian PR as a spouse can be hard because immigration may think he will overstay. he will need to show ties to his homeland and job. If you want to sponsor him for PR later on, you can.

dubaiite

May 3, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
1-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-3-2013

lotus20 said:
Hello Qorax,
Its been a long time since i wrote to you. You have always been a great help. I have done my 'Landing' in Toronto in June 2012, where i stayed for 7 weeks while in Canada. Currently i'm back in India.
I have a few queries, please:

7. The place where i will be staying will have Wi-Fi. Could you suggest a good mobile connection with good india and europe calling rates.

I dearly wish, Qorax, that you see this post and answer.
Thank you.

Seems from your post that u didn't get your PR card yet ...

If you have already got it ..even if or not u r from visa exempted country .. Point 1,2 become null and void..

Since you are working towards ur citizenship, U have to present all details where so ever u have lived through rental receipts.

Regarding P4 don't know much better to complete ur G license in Toronto but there is waiting for 8 months for G2 license.

New comers material is all the same at any airport..

Fido/ Chatter have good plans though lil expensive..

Your spouse has to file a fresh case .. which will take its own sweet time... PR extension is not easily possible

HOPE this helps.... my 2 cents only...... Since captain is very busy and not available on the forum frequently..

dina07

Star Member
May 1, 2013
GUJARAT
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH-2010
IELTS Request
6.5 BANDS
Med's Request
22/02/2013
Med's Done....
01/03/2013
Interview........
WAIVED BY THE GRACE OF GOD
Passport Req..
22/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
23/04/2013
LANDED..........
may be in Aug-Sep-2013
Hello LEON

I got PR and I am from India and going land in Calgary in August, I want information regarding Health, After getting there within few days if I need medical then can I get medical insurance, I mean to say if I get some problem in my health due to change in weather can I get medical free if I had medical insurance?

--- After landing in Airport how should I find house for rent as I don’t have any relative nor friends. If I have to stay in Hotel what will be minimum rent in INR?

--- How can I bring money as I am going to bring 5000$, by Travel Cheque, DD, or some other way?

--- is it necessary to bring clothes more and more? Overthere clothes are costly?

--- I am going to bring Grocery, Vessels etc etc.

--- If u have list of things to carry along with us or if u have any idea then pls send me the detail of things to be carry.

--- How weather will be when I will land in august in calgary?

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Kijiji.com is a good place to find rented accommodation but be sure to visit the place before renting.
Money can be best brought by cash CAD (part of it) and international banker's draft. Have enough cash because it takes time to open bank account and deposit your draft.
Do not bring food - you may have troubles at customs.
If you have warm clothes bring them as goods are expensive here.
Weather will be fine, around 25C.
Hotels are ridiculously expensive, I suggest finding a motel that offers long term studios instead. I booked a suite in motel for 1 month online before coming, it cost 700 CAD per month. This gave me enough time to finish landing procedures. Hotels cost about 100 CAD per night in Montreal, prices in Alberta are even higher .

dina07 said:
Hello LEON

I got PR and I am from India and going land in Calgary in August, I want information regarding Health, After getting there within few days if I need medical then can I get medical insurance, I mean to say if I get some problem in my health due to change in weather can I get medical free if I had medical insurance?

--- After landing in Airport how should I find house for rent as I don't have any relative nor friends. If I have to stay in Hotel what will be minimum rent in INR?

--- How can I bring money as I am going to bring 5000$, by Travel Cheque, DD, or some other way?

--- is it necessary to bring clothes more and more? Overthere clothes are costly?

--- If u have list of things to carry along with us or if u have any idea then pls send me the detail of things to be carry.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dina07 said:
Hello LEON

Here is how you register for AB health: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/register-for-AHCIP.html If you have a medical problem after moving to AB, you will be covered.

--- After landing in Airport how should I find house for rent as I don't have any relative nor friends. If I have to stay in Hotel what will be minimum rent in INR?

You can look for a hotel in AB on www.expedia.ca for example but it is expensive. You can look at the classifieds in the paper to look for an apartment or go to neighbourhoods and look for vacancy signs. You could also try a big rental agency like http://www.bwalk.com/RentApartments/Alberta/Calgary/ However, don't rent unseen. The place may look nice on photos but maybe the neighbourhood is not nice. Before you sign a lease, you want to look at the apartment and the neighbourhood. Best if you also walk around and ask the people in nearby stores if it is a good neighbourhood. If all the stores are liquor stores and pawn shops, it probably isn't ;) but the people who work there have nothing to lose by telling you the truth.

You can bring cash, travellers cheques, cashiers check etc.

If you already have warm clothes, you can bring them but many people say it is better to buy in Canada.

Some say to bring spices but rest is up to you. If you have to pay overcharge for heavy luggage, most things may be cheaper to buy in Canada instead. There are certain foods that you can't bring, see a list here: http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml#a2

Bring money and your most important documents. Everything else you can buy if needed.

In August it is summer so it's nice. In winter it gets pretty cold :)

dina07

Star Member
May 1, 2013
GUJARAT
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH-2010
IELTS Request
6.5 BANDS
Med's Request
22/02/2013
Med's Done....
01/03/2013
Interview........
WAIVED BY THE GRACE OF GOD
Passport Req..
22/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
23/04/2013
LANDED..........
may be in Aug-Sep-2013
Hello KETEVAN,

Thanks a lot for replying,

--- If u r from Calgary then can u suggest the name of some motels so that i can look online and can book.

--- U r right that i should go for motel, but after landing how do come i know that how far or how close to city should i go as i will be
unknown about areas in which i can get house for rent. (for E.g if a city or area to far from motel then it will be difficult) if there is
any perfect area around which i can get motel and house for rent too will be good.

--- Now my question is regarding Luggage of Size in Aircanada website i got that maximum size of 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm is alllow so can
i bring small then this size or of this size?

Thanks

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dina07 said:
Hello KETEVAN,

Thanks a lot for replying,

--- If u r from Calgary then can u suggest the name of some motels so that i can look online and can book.

--- U r right that i should go for motel, but after landing how do come i know that how far or how close to city should i go as i will be
unknown about areas in which i can get house for rent. (for E.g if a city or area to far from motel then it will be difficult) if there is
any perfect area around which i can get motel and house for rent too will be good.

--- Now my question is regarding Luggage of Size in Aircanada website i got that maximum size of 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm is alllow so can
i bring small then this size or of this size?

Thanks
Hi Dina,
1. Though Im not from Calgary, I heard that NE has a good DESI community, try to find some place close to bus stations, LRT, shoppiing plazas
2. yes the dimension can be exact or less than the stated, but should not exceed

Seniors may comment further

riasath

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
In process since 31 jan 2012
Med's Request
1 feb 2013
Med's Done....
11th feb 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped 21 march'13; Decision made on 26march'13; visa received 6 april'13
Can someone tell me if we can carry US dollars instead of Canadian dollars as funds while landing for the first time? Also are travelers electronic cards acceptable at POE.
Thanks in advance

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
riasath said:
Can someone tell me if we can carry US dollars instead of Canadian dollars as funds while landing for the first time? Also are travelers electronic cards acceptable at POE.
Thanks in advance
Yes you can, I carried with me Cads/USD, it was no problem

fuad1980

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
21 June 2014
LANDED..........
18 July 2014
riasath said:
Thanks in advance
Yes, you can carry US Dollars as POE but that should be equivalent to the required CAD as POE. I am not sure about elcetronic cards - probably it is better to carry a certificate from the issuing bank regarding the money available in the card in case you are bound to carry the card. I would suggest to carry a Banker's Draft in your name instead, which you can deposit in your bank account in Canada.

riasath

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
Med's Request
1 feb 2013
Med's Done....
11th feb 2013
VISA ISSUED...
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Yes you can, I carried with me Cads/USD, it was no problem
Thanks for the reply

riasath

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
Med's Request
1 feb 2013
Med's Done....
11th feb 2013
VISA ISSUED...
fuad1980 said:
Yes, you can carry US Dollars as POE but that should be equivalent to the required CAD as POE. I am not sure about elcetronic cards - probably it is better to carry a certificate from the issuing bank regarding the money available in the card in case you are bound to carry the card. I would suggest to carry a Banker's Draft in your name instead, which you can deposit in your bank account in Canada.
Thanks for the reply especially the caution about electronic card money.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012

Thank you Leon, this is really awesome!! Really, this forum makes me feel warm and cozy. Your replies are so clear that the cobwebs disappear.

However, i'm a little despondent at this moment. The road for Int'l Medical Graduates is really tough not just for a career in medicine but even allied health services. Who could imagine that one would need a two year course for laboratory technician or an ultrasound technician or even as a massage therapist. Oh well!! In this last 1 year since getting my PR i've not been able to identify the work that i'm fit for. Nothing. It seems.
All this doesn't detract from my gratitude for you, Leon. Thank you.