+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
karl said:
Rinks,
Thx for your reply. But as per what I have read on this forum, Mailing address on PR cards have to be within Canada.

Seniors plz clarify.
Yes, CIC will not mail it abroad. And if they come to know that u aren't staying - they'd not accept your PRC application/Canadian Address too.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Pasi said:
Hi Qorax, one question reg the travel document. I landed in Toronto as of Aug 13, 2010 and yet to get my PR card. But there is an urgent need for me to visit Toronto again this week. Do you have any idea about applying for a Travel Document in Buffalo visa office? I see all the instructions in their website, but I want to confirm if this is a one day process and if they can issue the document on the same day of submitting my application and passport. From the instructions, I have collected all the details needed to submit my application.

Also from the instructions PDF, I see the following:

Note to holders of a:
• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
• Returning Resident Permit

These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a permanent resident card or a travel document to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.
Travel documents are issued to permanent residents abroad to provide proof to a transportation company that the holder is entitled to re-enter Canada as a permanent resident.

Is this the only purpose of the travel document? In that case, if I plan to drive into Canada, can I do it just with a Record of Landing document?
For entering Canada "by road" u don't need a PRTD or a PR card. Your COPR suffices for entry.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
USCAN said:
Qorax bro,

I have a question for you regarding proof of fund. I have account with TD BANK here in NY. In my case, should I just change

home address with the bank ( Canadian home address) and carry bank letter as a proof of fund? Will that work or do I have to

close the account and carry bank draft?

Please advise

Thanks
That account's Bank Statement will suffice for your POF for landing/entry. U don't need to do anything further.

However, I assume that this a/c is a USD a/c. So, after u land and proceed with your settlement routine, u may find it a hassle to maintain an USD a/c in Canada for your daily chores, unless it's not a regular usage one. Thus, u may like to either convert it into a CAD a/c or keep it at that & open a new CAD a/c here.

Qorax

karl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2009
Appreciate it Qorax!!

qorax said:
1. I repeatedly advise everyone to stay-put in Canada for at least 2+ months, so that u obtain your PRCs. It's by far the most important doc, not worth messing around with.

2. It's Ok, but not advisable, 'coz of the reasons above.

3. It's not illegal, but isn't advisable as well. What if they get lost in transit? However, many take the risk, so if u have compelling reasons to return - that might be the one way to go, bro.

4. Trouble - Yes. Frowned upon - No. Avoidance is a better/wiser option though.

Qorax

rinks25us

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
qorax said:
Yes, CIC will not mail it abroad. And if they come to know that u aren't staying - they'd not accept your PRC application/Canadian Address too.

Qorax
My bad.. I got it confused with PPR request

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Landed safely in Toronto!!

Hi All!! First of all I would like to Thank to this Forum, in particular this thread and all SENIORS for a nice and very smooth Landing!!

I exactly followed all the steps Qorax listed in the beginning and my landing went very smooth!!

He it goes!!

Landed Toronto (Pearson Int Airport) at around 6:30 PM on 4th October, It was me, my wife and 2 young daughter!!
  • There was a big Q in the POE counters, (I am not sure what its called Qorax pls suggest), they do check all our passport and the dis embarkation card
  • Once completed we just followed others and moved in side, there a person asked us to take left and sit in the chairs provided as we need to complete the landing procedure
  • Waited for few minutes and a young guy came in and asked us to come to a cabin where he made us to sit comfortably and took the COPRs and passport
  • He asked how much cash I am carrying I told him more than 26K, he didnt ask me to show them
  • He asked me if I have any address I gave him myh friends, then he filled the COPR forms, asked me to sign for my kids and my own form while my wife signed her
  • Thats it he told the PRs will be sent to the given address in 4-6 weeks and told WELCOME TO CANADA
  • So Nice, its very nice welcome they give
  • After this we were asked to reach 2 more counters, first counter he gave details about how to reach for SIN, OHIP, Child benefits, etc that include OHIP and Child benefit forms and he told no need for SIN forms as it will be filled online by execetive when we go to the Service Canada Office
  • NExt counter is welmoce to Canada brochires and other helpful palmphlets
  • Then we went to the lugguage belts, I took 4 carts gave 10 USD to the Currency exchange counter very close to carts vending machine and asked her to give coins she gave 9.something CDN cash which does has 4 toonies which I wanted for 4 carts
  • Then while going out side I went to the customs guy and told I need to get custom lceared as I am landing for 1st time, he directed me the way
  • The custom officer was very nice, I told him I have filled in B4 forms both accompanying goods as well for Goods to Follow
  • He said he dont want accompanying goods but he looked into Goods to Follow, I also showed him pics of Jewelery for goods to follow, I had only one set of the pics, I had two set of B4 along with printed list of groupings as exactly suggested by Qorax, but had only one set of Jewelery pics, thats was not a problem for the officer, he just asked us to wait and went himself to copy them, finally he stamped all papers gave me the copy
  • Thats it!!! we were out of Airport (F Gate exit is good to pick up taxi),
  • Thanks to Jawad he suggested to pick Van taxi as we had 9 Big bags and 8 small bags in total 17, came out of airport, just asked the policeman standing out, to get a Van taxi as I showed him all my language,
  • The policeman asked me to wait there and he called a Van with is Radio, The Van driver was very helpful and he tried all his way to put all my luggage into the Van, we came directly to Howard Johnson East Hotel in Scarborough, He asked me CDN $80, I gave him as I felt its pretty OK to give as my luggage was too much, I hope its a good price

Thats it!! It was a pleasant landing but tiring as a lot of lugguage we had!!

Today, 5th Ocotber, went to Service Canada office in Scarborough City Center, little bit of waiting but again very nice hospitality and we got the SIN numbers for all including kids, then we were hungry as we finished lunch the Scotia bank was closed, tomorrow we ve to get it and also the mobile connections!! Suggest me the best..

Also one more suggestion!! I have a friend and just opposite to there house there is a basement, please do suggest will it be a good option to stay in Basement during the Winter, as the house his just opposite to my frineds it is good for my wife as she is pregnant and my frineds wife can help her in that regard, BUT The Issue I want to know is will it be good to stay in Basement during high cold winter and snow? please do help me in finalizing between renting an apartment or getting into Basement, really appreciate your responses

Will update as I move ahead!!

Best Regards!!

Nadeem

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Nadeem,

All the best for a peaceful and wonderful life in Canada.

Nadeembhai I also indent to settle in Scarborough, so pls tell me which area you are planning to settle?

Also, Qorax told us that some areas in Scarborough is not that much family friendly!!

Just make a research about the area before renting a basement or apartment.

Wish you a happy life in Canada.

Satish

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Thanks tp ecas alerts, they always promptly alerted me in each of my status change, I used to visit for a states check and when see no change, then stop looking. ecas usually send me alerts excatly when a small change happens!!

That was nice!! Here is my complete status!!

We received your application for permanent residence on August 31, 2009.

We reviewed your application and sent you a letter on October 28, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Your application and supporting documents were received by the New Delhi office. They are pending review.

We transferred your application to the New Delhi office on November 3, 2009. The New Delhi office may contact you.

Your application was reviewed and we started processing on March 22, 2010.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

You entered Canada at the Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Terminal No. 3 office on October 4, 2010 and became a Permanent Resident.

rcosing

May 5, 2010
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 2004
AOR Received.
Feb. 2005
Med's Request
Aug. 2010
Med's Done....
Sep. 31, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct. 5, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct.18,2010
Hi Qorax,

I just started reading this thread after we got our passport request and was impressed by the information. You are a blessing in this forum.

Anyways, I have a curious question.

Is bringing along my mother-in-law(my wife is the principal applicant) as tourist have any problem on our landing/immigration? She will be invited by her sister which is a Canadian citizen already. She will be travelling with us to assist us for the first 6months since we have 3yr old twins, and me and my wife are planning to find work as soon as we get there. Is there any other way that we could extend her stay(+6mo)?

Your inputs are immensely appreciated.

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
Good question. Even I wanted to ask same.
As I wud b going on PR there in Feb IA; how i can invite my mother or sister(age more then 21) there on tourist visa.

What would be the process for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Meena

vncviewer

Sep 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
SIngapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-09
Doc's Request.
25-09-09
Nomination.....
15-12-09
AOR Received.
23-12-09
rcosing said:
Hi Qorax,

I just started reading this thread after we got our passport request and was impressed by the information. You are a blessing in this forum.

Is bringing along my mother-in-law(my wife is the principal applicant) as tourist have any problem on our landing/immigration? She will be invited by her sister which is a Canadian citizen already. She will be travelling with us to assist us for the first 6months since we have 3yr old twins, and me and my wife are planning to find work as soon as we get there. Is there any other way that we could extend her stay(+6mo)?

Good question.I also want to know....

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rcosing said:
Hi Qorax,

As she already has her TRV (or visitor's visa) u should have no issues in her accompanying u guys, in the same flight, entering the same time.

Each case is dealt individually. So, though she's related to u, she's entering Canada on her own, isn't it? Thus, not a cause of concern there for any one, right?

Qorax