+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nsing25 said:
Hello Admin and others,
I need a guidance here.
I am currently in Milwaukee, Winsconsin US.
I am planning to go Canada before 6th October(my visa will expire) as first entery.

1.Just want to check if I can go by road with family from Windsor(Deteroit ) border and will return on next day.
yes

2. I have money in My Bank of America account in US, can I take the bank statement for the same as proof of funds.
yes

3. While returning back to US(i am on H1B), do I need to show some additional documents or there could be any hassles.
No.

Please help me on the same. I lost track of these pages from a long time.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mr.gk said:
Hi folk,

How many days required for landing important procedures, I mean:

- Getting the SIN card.
Same day - go to Service Canada office, you will get the number straightaway. Cards are no longer issued.

- Opening a Bank Account and obtaining the credit card.
Same day for the bank account. Some banks will give you a debit card on the spot, some will mail it (3-5 days). If you are eligible for a credit card, you'll receive it by mail (rough estimate 10 days to 3 weeks)

- Saying hi to some friends there.

What else can be done during short landing period?

I heard that there is a long weekend at the beginning of each month. Is that correct? Are there any more long vacations during the year?
Lol, no ;). List of public holidays here:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/hldys/menu-eng.html

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
navdeep36 said:
My FSW PR visa is under stamping and wil be arrive hopefully this week.

I was planning to land next month with family and come back alone to continue my job for next 1 year to save some extra $$

but im sure about tax system in canada.. do i need to pay taxes while working outside ?
Yes, but this in turn will make you eligible for some benefits.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newcomers/#ftr

HKforCanada

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th November 2014
Med's Request
09th May 2015
Med's Done....
18th May 2015
Passport Req..
waiting
rumel said:
thanks for sharing this.

It means that if I don't have PR card still I can make a second entry in Canada using a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) (IMM 5524).

has anyone aware about it or used this?

DOTA 2 PRO

Feb 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi Transfered to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Need another help.

While applying for immigration I showed 15k cad as settlement fund in form of FD. At this moment we need to break that FD as we need that money. My landing is yet to happen. I want to ask if I have to show them 15k cad FD again at POE to visa officer in Canada, I can take cash with me in form of CAD around 3k. Will it be fine if I break my FD right now?

FSW_NOC_0112

Aug 5, 2015
Hi Friends,

I am getting ready for my short landing. I have following documents ready:
a. Passport with Visa
b. COPR
c. B4 & B4a
d. POF
e. Photos (Extra if required)

Is there anything that I am missing?

Also, will someone suggest some insurance provider in Canada for travel insurance?

Thanks in advance

-FSW_NOC_0112

takhan

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore Visa Office. Now Manila since December 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-09-2014
Med's Request
Medical and RPRF request on 15th April 2015
Med's Done....
16th April 2015
Passport Req..
July 13, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2015
LANDED..........
Landed on September 30,2015. Rerceived PR card on December 10,2015.
FSW_NOC_0112 said:
Hi Friends,

I am getting ready for my short landing. I have following documents ready:
a. Passport with Visa
b. COPR
c. B4 & B4a
d. POF
e. Photos (Extra if required)

Is there anything that I am missing?

Also, will someone suggest some insurance provider in Canada for travel insurance?

Thanks in advance

-FSW_NOC_0112

Are you gonna carry CAD 10000 as POF or anything else? Where you got the B4 & B4a? If you return after staying a short time in Canada, will you be able to enter Canada without the PR card second time? What is your plan on that?

FSW_NOC_0112

Aug 5, 2015
takhan said:
Are you gonna carry CAD 10000 as POF or anything else? Where you got the B4 & B4a? If you return after staying a short time in Canada, will you be able to enter Canada without the PR card second time? What is your plan on that?
I have made arrangements for required POF as well as PR. The B4 & B4a are availble on this forum under a seperate topic - Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ??? . I downloaded it from there.

Diva1990

Aug 27, 2015
Please help!

My boyfriend currently lives in Europe, we met there 6 months ago while I was doing my internship.
Couple of months ago, we applied for a visitor visa to Canada. I put myself as a host, because I'm a Canadian citizen. They did not accept the application because even though he holds a study permit in Europe, he's a Syrian citizen.

We have decided to give up on Canadian, didn't want to re apply. He has a valid US visa, so we are planning to meet in the U.S. Next month. He booked a ticket to US from Germany. It was pretty expensive because I didn't book it months in advance. And it is not returnable!!! Guess what? He has a transit in Toronto Pearson airport and we need to apply for a transit visa for him.

This sucks!!! I'm scared he won't get it because he just got rejected from visiting canada. I'm scared that they won't give him a transit visa and it will create question marks for immigration.

We tried to change our ticket but it's not changeable, and we paid $1800 for it!
What are the chances that visa office will give him a transit visa through canada? Will they reject him?
Does it take long to get one?

It says that we have to use the same file. Should we write an explanation that he will only be transmitting canada and so on and upload as an additional document? Or it will even make it worse?

Please help! I really don't want him to loose that ticket and the opportunity to go to US :((

takhan

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-09-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
16th April 2015
Passport Req..
July 13, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2015
LANDED..........
FSW_NOC_0112 said:
I have made arrangements for required POF as well as PR. The B4 & B4a are availble on this forum under a seperate topic - Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ??? . I downloaded it from there.

Can you share what arrangements you made to collect the PR card?

palak.pandya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hi, I just need some help from anyone who has done a short landing from US, through Detroit.

I am planning to drive my own car and comeback after a week. I don't want to import my car as I will still stay in US for sometime. Can i still finish all the landing without importing the car?

Also, can i just show my bank statement as a proof of funds?

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Hi all
I'd be grateful if you could advice me on choosing the best city

female in IT profession, moving to Canada with PR visa probably in November, no friend in Canada

I was planning to land in BC just because of the nice weather ( I cant tolerate Cold and wild weather )
Since I dont think to get a decent job in Vancouver, I was thinking to go to university and get a Canadian Master Degree to have better chances in job market

but I just found that one is eligible to apply for student loan /aid in BC ( StudentAid BC ) only if he/she has lived there for 12 months !
but eligibility for student loan in Ontario is different : your are eligible for this loan if you have been resident for 1 year OR your FIRST LANDING was in ONTARIO !

so I thought what if I land in Toronto and after a couple of weeks move to Vancouver, if I didnt get a good job after 3 months, I move back to Toronto, apply for master and use the Ontario student aid/OSAP

but I am not sure if I land temporary in Ontario where should I go for SIN and Health Card ?in Ontario or after moving to Vancouver?

Best wishes for all

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
HappyLucky said:
Hi all
I'd be grateful if you could advice me on choosing the best city

female in IT profession, moving to Canada with PR visa probably in November, no friend in Canada

I was planning to land in BC just because of the nice weather ( I cant tolerate Cold and wild weather )
Since I dont think to get a decent job in Vancouver, I was thinking to go to university and get a Canadian Master Degree to have better chances in job market

but I just found that one is eligible to apply for student loan /aid in BC ( StudentAid BC ) only if he/she has lived there for 12 months !
but eligibility for student loan in Ontario is different : your are eligible for this loan if you have been resident for 1 year OR your FIRST LANDING was in ONTARIO !

so I thought what if I land in Toronto and after a couple of weeks move to Vancouver, if I didnt get a good job after 3 months, I move back to Toronto, apply for master and use the Ontario student aid/OSAP

but I am not sure if I land temporary in Ontario where should I go for SIN and Health Card ?in Ontario or after moving to Vancouver?

Best wishes for all
SIN you can apply in the city you are planning to land first -since cards are not issues, you will get your SIN number in minutes.
Health card is tricky. In Ontario you are eligible for Health cards only after 3 months of residency. In BC you can apply the moment you land.
Also when you switch Provinces there are restrications to your health coverage. In Ontario you cannot be out of the Province (yes not just the country) for more than 3 months as you would be ineligible for Health coverage.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/
From the service ontario website : "Ontario health insurance plan coverage normally becomes effective 3 months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. New and returning residents are encouraged to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the Ontario health insurance plan waiting period."

So decide on a city and settle down. Probably do your homework on where you want to do your Schooling. If you are looking for IT jobs both Toronto and Vancouver have good opportunities.
If you are looking for good weather Toronto winter is harsh (4 months a year), but the rest of the year is great!
Toronto has more opportunities because it is the economic hub.
Also you could do your studies in Toronto as well!

takhan

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-09-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
16th April 2015
Passport Req..
July 13, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2015
LANDED..........
If i land on 25th September my 90 days will complete on 25th December. I am afraid the pr card might take more time to arrive since the holiday season gonna begin. Do you guys have any idea how many days cic remain closed for Christmas and new year?

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
xylene said:
SIN you can apply in the city you are planning to land first -since cards are not issues, you will get your SIN number in minutes.
Health card is tricky. In Ontario you are eligible for Health cards only after 3 months of residency. In BC you can apply the moment you land.
Also when you switch Provinces there are restrications to your health coverage. In Ontario you cannot be out of the Province (yes not just the country) for more than 3 months as you would be ineligible for Health coverage.

From the service ontario website : "Ontario health insurance plan coverage normally becomes effective 3 months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. New and returning residents are encouraged to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the Ontario health insurance plan waiting period."

So decide on a city and settle down. Probably do your homework on where you want to do your Schooling. If you are looking for IT jobs both Toronto and Vancouver have good opportunities.
If you are looking for good weather Toronto winter is harsh (4 months a year), but the rest of the year is great!
Toronto has more opportunities because it is the economic hub.
Also you could do your studies in Toronto as well!
Thank you so much xylene ,very useful :)
actually the only reason i want to land in Toronto for a week and move to Vancouver is to be eligible for Ontario Student Loan ,,,not the Health system which is free in Ontario and $73/month in Vancouver !

so you say it's possible? I mean If I land in Toronto and spend only 1 day still I will be eligible for all advantages of landing in Ontario such as OSAP (student loan) ?
I found no advantages of landing in BC but some good points of landing in Ontario !