+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
josykthattakunnel said:
Ha i QUORAX i am new to this forum.My medicals have done on 1st december2013 and waiting for passport request.My son is 16 years old and we want him to study in india for the next 5 years.Is that possible?By gods grace if we get the visa we are planning to enter canada as early as possible.But is it a must that he also should stay in canada for 2 years out of the 5 years PR card time? Or can he go to india and study for the next 5 years. Kindly answer.Thanks. josy
each family member has to stay in canada for at least 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain the pr status. So yes, if your son did not stay 2 years in in the next 5 - (after landing) he will loose pr status

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
each family member has to stay in canada for at least 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain the pr status. So yes, if your son did not stay 2 years in in the next 5 - (after landing) he will loose pr status
That is absolutely true and added that if you want your son to have the best chance adapting to Canada, it would be far better for him to study at a Canadian school and later a Canadian college / university.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Dear friends, got a question,...does living three years at a stretch make me eligible to apply for citizenship soon after !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hasni said:
Dear friends, got a question,...does living three years at a stretch make me eligible to apply for citizenship soon after !
Right now it does but the requirements are changing soon. CIC hasn't yet posted anything but they have plans to make it 4 or 5 years.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Leon said:
Right now it does but the requirements are changing soon. CIC hasn't yet posted anything but they have plans to make it 4 or 5 years.
thanks Leon.

josykthattakunnel

Sep 2, 2010
;D ;D ;D
emamabd said:
each family member has to stay in canada for at least 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain the pr status. So yes, if your son did not stay 2 years in in the next 5 - (after landing) he will loose pr status.hai emamabd and leon thank you so much for the information.How long they take usually for the request of our passport?our visa office is london.Thanks

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
josykthattakunnel said:
Hai emamabd and leon thank you so much for the information. how long Usually they take for the passport request?
i got my ppr 2 months after medicals, but each visa office can differ from another....the good news is that since you already have the medicals done - so "most" of the waiting time is now over, just be patient and hopefully it will not be long

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon, my understanding about child residency is as follows:

Time you have resided in Canada
You must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before you apply. This does not apply to children under 18.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#status

So I assume that children under 18 are not required to meet any residency even for applying citizenship. One of their parents must meet residency and then either renew PR card or apply for citizenship.

Your view about adapting Canadian life by a 16 years old boy is absolutely correct!

Leon said:
That is absolutely true and added that if you want your son to have the best chance adapting to Canada, it would be far better for him to study at a Canadian school and later a Canadian college / university.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NN74 said:
Hi Leon, my understanding about child residency is as follows:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#status

So I assume that children under 18 are not required to meet any residency even for applying citizenship. One of their parents must meet residency and then either renew PR card or apply for citizenship.
You are reading the clause about children and citizenship requirements and true, they do not have to meet them.

However, the residency requirements for PR vs. citizenship are not the same. They are completely separate entities. There is no duty to renew the PR card after 5 years. It is however a good idea because govt. establishement are increasingly asking for it as means to prove your PR status and so you never know when you need it. You also need it to travel so it's good to have one.

The PR residency requirements are staying in Canada at least 730 days in any rolling 5 year period. There is no exception for children to meet these requirements. The only exceptions are: 1) PR is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada (or a PR minor child is accompanying a citizen parent), 2) PR is working for a Canadian employer and has been transferred to a full time position abroad, or 3) PR is accompanying a PR spouse outside of Canada who falls under 2) (or a PR minor child is accompanying a PR parent who falls under 2)).

It is also possible to get exempted on H&C grounds for example when a PR must tend to a sick relative for long periods of time but these are special cases and require special appeals.

There is also one more clause regarding citizenship and that is that PR status can not be in question. That is, if it were to happen that a person has applied for their citizenship along with a minor child but by the time they are to get it, the minor child is located outside Canada and if it happens that the child is reported for not meeting the residency requirements while entering Canada, the child would not be able to get citizenship as the PR status of the child is now in question.

JDC2011

Oct 18, 2011
I am the principal applicant and I plan to land first and my family will follow after few months. For the funds, I know that I will need to present this when I land however since my family will only follow me after few months, do they need to show the funds again when they land? Meaning I will not be able to use it already while I'm in Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance for all your inputs

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
JDC2011 said:
I am the principal applicant and I plan to land first and my family will follow after few months. For the funds, I know that I will need to present this when I land however since my family will only follow me after few months, do they need to show the funds again when they land? Meaning I will not be able to use it already while I'm in Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance for all your inputs
Only the principal applicant has to show PoF for the whole family (you in this case), your family members will not be asked to show PoF when they arrive later.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
JDC2011 said:
thanks a lot @ emamabd for your reply. What requirements my family members must present in Immigration?
they will only need their passports, COPRs and an address for mailing the PR cards

Bigboss

Jan 18, 2013
UAE-Alain
Category........
Visa Office......
MCH-London
NOC Code......
7241,MI3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2011