+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
slingshot_fuel said:
Hello fellow applicants! I just received the greatest news ever! CIC just informed my lawyer that my COPR documents are ready and that my next step is to land at the border. My question is this: What can I reasonably expect during the landing procedure? Will they be asking highly in-depth questions regarding my application or is this a much more simple process? I only ask since I am anxious of making a slightly wrong statement that may not match up with one statement from my huge application file.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Congrats on your visa & COPR, you might want to read this post by coolguy2010 who recently landed.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t160024.0.html

If you also go through the same thread of this discussion - earlier posts by Qorax - you'll find the procedure explained.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
In my case, there were no questions about my application during landing. They just asked Customs questions - what type of goods you brought, how much money, your address etc.

slingshot_fuel said:
Hello fellow applicants! I just received the greatest news ever! CIC just informed my lawyer that my COPR documents are ready and that my next step is to land at the border. My question is this: What can I reasonably expect during the landing procedure? Will they be asking highly in-depth questions regarding my application or is this a much more simple process? I only ask since I am anxious of making a slightly wrong statement that may not match up with one statement from my huge application file.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

jems992

Aug 21, 2013
Ketevan said:
In my case, there were no questions about my application during landing. They just asked Customs questions - what type of goods you brought, how much money, your address etc.
Lucky one...

slingshot_fuel

Jun 20, 2013
How is it possible that CIC did NOT request my passport??? I don't understand this... is it a new procedure? They also did not request my bio-data!?! I am a German citizen with a German passport... is this possibly the reason (Germany is a Visa-exempt country).

tiktak

Mar 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
Doc's Request.
June 2010
Nomination.....
na
AOR Received.
February 2012
IELTS Request
na
File Transfer...
na
Med's Request
April 2012
Med's Done....
May 1012
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
Feb 27, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 23, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
Hi Quorax and any seniors,

I landed last May 2013 and I'm back to my current job overseas, my plan is to permanently settle next year 2014. I and my spouse got our PR card recently however for our child, received a letter together with immigration copy of COPR, asking for 2 copy of photos, quite understandable because my child photo on COPR is still at 4 months baby. The last paragraph of the letter specifically state how to send the package to CIC, as follows:

Please return the form and photos by mail to:

Case Processing Centre - Permanent Resident Card PO Box 4500 Sydney Nova Scotia B1P6L1.
A preaddressed envelope is enclosed for your convenience.

My question:
It seems they prefer po box address. As I live overseas is there any technicality if I send the package through courier address which is on CIC website can be send to 49 Dorchester St. Nova Scotia? My other option is to send package to my sister in Canada and let my sister send through mail to their po box address.

Please advise the best option.
Thanks

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
I am a normal one. Nobody from my landing queue got asked questions about application. However, in your second landing there may be more scrutiny because CIC suspects many permanent residents of fraud - many people give their credit card and flats to friends and return home, later they show their credit card statements and pretend that they reside in Canada.

jems992 said:
Lucky one...

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Cic did not request passport because you do not need visa to be stamped into your passport - you are visa free citizen.

slingshot_fuel said:
How is it possible that CIC did NOT request my passport??? I don't understand this... is it a new procedure? They also did not request my bio-data!?! I am a German citizen with a German passport... is this possibly the reason (Germany is a Visa-exempt country).

slingshot_fuel

Jun 20, 2013
Ketevan said:
I am a normal one. Nobody from my landing queue got asked questions about application. However, in your second landing there may be more scrutiny because CIC suspects many permanent residents of fraud - many people give their credit card and flats to friends and return home, later they show their credit card statements and pretend that they reside in Canada.
Oh OK. Thanks for the info. What are some of the important items to bring along? I have made a list below (please advice if I should bring any additional items):
1) Passport
2) Drivers License
3) Current printout of online bank accounts that show balances (I have a certified bank later dated May 2013 showing my balances that I will bring along as well; this letter was already sent to CIC upon their request about 3 months ago)
4) All the documents that were sent to my lawyer (COPR, etc)

Anything else? I live in Vancouver... so, I am planning to 'flag-pole' at the Tsawwassen border on Friday. A few of my PR friends told me to park my vehicle and instead go by foot (as this supposedly speeds up the process by cutting down on the potential queue).

slingshot_fuel

Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for the info. What are some of the important items to bring along? I have made a list below (please advice if I should bring any additional items):
1) Passport
2) Drivers License
3) Current printout of online bank accounts that show balances (I have a certified bank later dated May 2013 showing my balances that I will bring along as well; this letter was already sent to CIC upon their request about 3 months ago)
4) All the documents that were sent to my lawyer (COPR, etc)

Anything else? I live in Vancouver... so, I am planning to 'flag-pole' at the Tsawwassen border on Friday. A few of my PR friends told me to park my vehicle and instead go by foot (as this supposedly speeds up the process by cutting down on the potential queue).

Zee.One

Dec 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2011
Nomination.....
PER Received 10-01-2012
IELTS Request
8 bands Sent with Application
File Transfer...
In Process 10-01-2012
Med's Request
10-03-2013
Med's Done....
25-04-2013
Interview........
14-02-2013
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (31-05-13) PPR-2 (25-06-13)
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-2013
LANDED..........
Sep/October
Friends,

I am posting following query on behalf of my friend. They are family of 4 people. His wife is principal applicant. Their visas are stamped and has validity of May 2014. Unfortunately mother of my friend died and he postpone his traveling till April 2014. His wife is going to Canada in September for two weeks and come back and will go again with him in April 2014.

1. Does she need to carry 21000 CAD(must for family of 4 person as pof) to show off at immigration even if traveling alone?
2. Does her presence in Canada is must to receive PR card or PR card will be deliver at address given to immigration counter?
3. Does it affect anything if my friend and his children will travel later?
4. what should be reply of his wife in response to immigration officer if he ask about non accompany family members?

I will appreciate your response.

Thanks

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Zee.One said:
Friends,

I am posting following query on behalf of my friend. They are family of 4 people. His wife is principal applicant. Their visas are stamped and has validity of May 2014. Unfortunately mother of my friend died and he postpone his traveling till April 2014. His wife is going to Canada in September for two weeks and come back and will go again with him in April 2014.

1. Does she need to carry 21000 CAD(must for family of 4 person as pof) to show off at immigration even if traveling alone?
2. Does her presence in Canada is must to receive PR card or PR card will be deliver at address given to immigration counter?
4. what should be reply of his wife in response to immigration officer if he ask about non accompany family members?

Thanks
1) Yes, as she is the principal applicant - she must show PoF for the whole family.
2) If she has a relative that can pick up the card and forward it to her then no problem, otherwise it will be better for her to stay till it
arrives. The card will be sent via postal mail to the address which she'll give to the officer.
3) Not a problem, as long as the remaining family members land before their visa expires.
4) Not an issue,just say the truth...due to her husband's mother's death - the remaining family members will arrive later.

ASK

Dec 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2009
AOR Received.
29 Jun 2010
File Transfer...
06 Jan 2010
Med's Request
09 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
20 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
04 June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
01 July 2013
LANDED..........
06 Oct 2013 (hopefully)
Zee.One said:
Friends,

Thanks
Sorry to read about their loss.

1) Yes, the amount must be shown. But the PA need not physically carry the entire amount as cash with her...She can show some cash or full amount as a draft transferable in Canada. Since she is not going to stay there immediately, the draft need not be encashed as soon as she reaches there.

2) Lots of people leave soon after landing procedure to return after sometime for permanent settlement. In those cases, someone close to them receives the PR card on their behalf and forward it. Once issued, you will need the PR card to re-enter Canada.

3) The only criteria is that the spouse or dependants cannot enter before the primary applicant lands in Canada. The spouse and dependents can follow the primary applicant anytime before their visa expires.

4) She can say that they will join her later. I don't think they will be cross questioning her for the absence of family members at the time of landing. Lots of people do this way.

Hope it helps.

ASK

Smileforu

Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
April 2010 ! March 2012 6-12 months wait letter
How is the weather in October / November in Toronto, and how about staying near airport, ways to commute public transportation to downtown. Seniors please advise, as I am very confused !!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Smileforu said:
How is the weather in October / November in Toronto, and how about staying near airport, ways to commute public transportation to downtown. Seniors please advise, as I am very confused !!
For commuting between downtown and airport using public transport (TTC), you can check this website:

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Airport_service.jsp

For weather, you can read the statistics in this website:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/historical-weather/canada/ontario/toronto