+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada after PR and leaving again

Hmy

Jul 15, 2021
Hello,
My spouse and I have just had our application approved.
We’re wondering if it’s possible for him to ‘land’ In Canada and 2.5 weeks later leave (with me) to return to the UK for another year.
the CIC website says that to maintain PR status you need to live in Canada for at least 2.5 years in any 5 year period.
We can have his PR card mailed to us in the UK for when he returns to canada.
The reason we’re asking is that the application took a lot less time than we anticipated (which is a nice thing) and we’re hoping to stay in the UK for a little longer.
TIA!

frange

May 25, 2018
Of course you can.
You have to land as PR first, then you leave the country for at max 3 years. If were you, I would stay least than the time allowed and make room for emergency abroad. So that, you can meet the residency requirements easily even you have to travel again if there is something happen to your family or for personal issues.

NB: Approved is different than Land... which means you have to land as PR first.

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
If you are a citizen, time spent outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse counts as time in Canada for the purpose of maintaining PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
My spouse and I have just had our application approved.
We’re wondering if it’s possible for him to ‘land’ In Canada and 2.5 weeks later leave (with me) to return to the UK for another year.
the CIC website says that to maintain PR status you need to live in Canada for at least 2.5 years in any 5 year period.
We can have his PR card mailed to us in the UK for when he returns to canada.
The reason we’re asking is that the application took a lot less time than we anticipated (which is a nice thing) and we’re hoping to stay in the UK for a little longer.
TIA!
If you are both applying together from the UK you likely had to show quite a lot of evidence that you would relocate to Canada once approved. Yes you can return to the UK but this is the reason why Canada has started requiring huge amounts of proof that people will return to Canada once approved. Many people didn’t actually resettle in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are a citizen, time spent outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse counts as time in Canada for the purpose of maintaining PR.
In this situation it likely wouldn’t. The spouse had never spent any time living in Canada and they didn’t move out of Canada to accompany the Canadian.

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
In this situation it likely wouldn’t. The spouse had never spent any time living in Canada and they didn’t move out of Canada to accompany the Canadian.
Do you have a source for that?

The website just says that time spent accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad counts as time in Canada to maintain PR, with no other qualifiers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have a source for that?

The website just says that time spent accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad counts as time in Canada to maintain PR, with no other qualifiers.
If you join discussions in the PR Obligation section of the forum there are threads that discuss the "who accompanied whom" rule which IRCC seems to be applying more religiously these days.

To allow a PR to count their time outside of Canada accompanying a citizen spouse, IRCC wants to see that the PR accompanied the citizen outside of Canada - meaning that the Canadian was the one who was outside of Canada (e.g. due to a job) and the PR accompanied them there. If it's the other way around (i.e. primary reason for being outside of Canada is due to the PR's employment situation, for example), IRCC may not allow the time to be counted.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Oh okay. So the Canadian has to have a bona fide reason to be in country X, including ex: a work visa, etc.