App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
I am a UK national and have a CoPR and BOWP in hand and a confirmed eta in my CIC account and am leaving Canada today for a short holiday and intend to officially "land" in Canada on my return from holiday. I ran into some problems on check-in at the Air Transat desk. First I was told I needed a Permanent Residents Travel Document to travel as I didn't have a PR card. I explained that I had not landed so I could not have either a PR card or PRTD. Then I was told the eta issued by CIC when my BOWP was approved had been cancelled and I could travel outwards but might not be allowed to fly back to Canada. Then I was told it was all OK and my eta had not been cancelled. This has obviously made me nervous even though I think the check-in guy didn't know what he was talking about. I don't want to be refused access to my return flight in a weeks time. I have a copy of the eta approval e-mail on my cell but no hard copy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So if you have a COPR and intend to land on your return to activate your PR status then all you need is the COPR

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

If you still feel nervous about it guess you can just spend 7 dollars and get a new ETA given you can still do that until you have landed as a PR after which of course you need a card or PRTD.

Cannot speak for everyone but feedback of being able to check ETA status seems unreliable and expects the person enquiring to know their ETA number when you would expect name, passport number plus passport dates would be enough given an ETA is tied to a passport.

Reactions: monkeyspanner

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
So if you have a COPR and intend to land on your return to activate your PR status then all you need is the COPR

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

If you still feel nervous about it guess you can just spend 7 dollars and get a new ETA given you can still do that until you have landed as a PR after which of course you need a card or PRTD.

Cannot speak for everyone but feedback of being able to check ETA status seems unreliable and expects the person enquiring to know their ETA number when you would expect name, passport number plus passport dates would be enough given an ETA is tied to a passport.
Many thanks. Tried the eta status page but no results even though I had all the information including the eta number. Hope I get someone on check-in that knows what they are doing.

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Reading around it appears it is the airlines who are cautious because although you have a CoPR that doesn't 100% guarantee Canada will land you. But CIC definitely issued an eTA the same day as I got passport request for PR and BOWP, it is on my CIC account.