+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing first time in Cananda as a PR

gd

May 9, 2009
I am a new PR receipient and hope to do my first visit on July 09 with my family of four. I have no intention to settle down immediately because of restrictions on my current job and kids education. I hope to stay for about 2 weeks and return to where I live. My permanent relocation is not yet decided. It can happen anytime between next 2-3 years.

I read many Qs and As on the 1st landing to Canada, but, still have some doubts.

1) Is it OK to tell the immigration officials at the airport that I will be leaving after two weeks?

2) Is it a must that I bring cash or travellers cheques for that amount?

3) Since I am not relocating permanently I don't want to bring all the money I have into Canada during my first visit. [Is it OK for me to bring a bank statement showing an amount equivalent in CAD for 4 people (CAD 20,180) prescribed by immigration website?

4) If I bring travellers cheques for that amount will it be a problem to take back the unspent TCs when I leave Canada after 2 weeks?

5) Bank Account -
Are there advantages in opening a bank account during the first visit(bearing in mind that I leave after two weeks)?

What documents banks normally require to open an account (bearing in mind I will not have anything other than the passport with PR Visa stamped)?

Surely, I need to provide the bank an address? Can I tell them I intend to leave after two weeks and therefore send my statements to my overseas address until I permanently relocate?

I appreciate if someone experienced on the above provides me solid feedback.

regards,

gd

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

gd said:
I am a new PR receipient and hope to do my first visit on July 09 with my family of four. I have no intention to settle down immediately because of restrictions on my current job and kids education. I hope to stay for about 2 weeks and return to where I live. My permanent relocation is not yet decided. It can happen anytime between next 2-3 years.

I read many Qs and As on the 1st landing to Canada, but, still have some doubts.

1) Is it OK to tell the immigration officials at the airport that I will be leaving after two weeks?

Yes, but they probably won't process your PR cards if you don't have a Canadian address.

2) Is it a must that I bring cash or travellers cheques for that amount?

Yes, or a recent bank statement in a convertible currency

3) Since I am not relocating permanently I don't want to bring all the money I have into Canada during my first visit. [Is it OK for me to bring a bank statement showing an amount equivalent in CAD for 4 people (CAD 20,180) prescribed by immigration website?

4) If I bring travellers cheques for that amount will it be a problem to take back the unspent TCs when I leave Canada after 2 weeks

No, its you money

5) Bank Account -
Are there advantages in opening a bank account during the first visit(bearing in mind that I leave after two weeks)?

No

What documents banks normally require to open an account (bearing in mind I will not have anything other than the passport with PR Visa stamped)?

For an interest bearing account a SIN

Surely, I need to provide the bank an address? Can I tell them I intend to leave after two weeks and therefore send my statements to my overseas address until I permanently relocate?

You would have to discuss it with a bank

I appreciate if someone experienced on the above provides me solid feedback.

regards,

gd
PMM

gd

May 9, 2009
Thanks PMM for your answers.

Can you clarify regarding the Bank Statement. Would it be sufficient to bring a 'normal' monthly bank statement we receive via e-mail (without a signature) showing credits / debits from the account?

OR

Should it be a specific Bank Statement obtained from the Bank Manager with a signature and stamp showing transactions made for the last 6 months. (Similar to the one we submitted with Visa application)

Regards

gd

gd

May 9, 2009
Dear PMM,

1) What do you mean by a 'Convertible currency'? Every currency is convertible isn't it????

I am currently in Dubai, U.A.E. My accounts are in U A E Dirhams. Is this acceptable?

2) As I understand PR card applications are filled at the Airport when we land? How about the SIN card?
Do I have to go to a different place to apply for that? If yes, what documents I will need for that (bearing in mind I intend to return from toronto in two weeks)?

Regards

gd

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gd said:
Dear PMM,

1) What do you mean by a 'Convertible currency'? Every currency is convertible isn't it????

No, there are currencies that not convertible outside their country of origin.

I am currently in Dubai, U.A.E. My accounts are in U A E Dirhams. Is this acceptable?

Sorry, don't know

2) As I understand PR card applications are filled at the Airport when we land? How about the SIN card?
Do I have to go to a different place to apply for that? If yes, what documents I will need for that (bearing in mind I intend to return from toronto in two weeks)?

Yes, you have to go to a Service Canada office, and you will need a Canadian address for the SIN.

Regards

gd
PMM

gd

May 9, 2009
Thanks PMM for your feedback.

I have another few questions regarding the application of the initial documents.

1) As I understand, the PR card is applied at the airport and the SIN card at a Service Canada centre. I assume that application for the SIN card can be done in one day for the family of four?

2) Once applied, will the SIN cards also be delivered to the same address we give for the PR card? How long it will take (from application) to deliver SIN cards?

3) I read somewhere that health cards need to be applied after three months of your stay in canada. Bearing in mind that our first visit will last maximum of two weeks, is it mandatory that we must bring a health insurance for this short stay? In other words, does everyone who visit for the first time need to bring a health insurance to cover emergency medical needs? Do the immigration officials at the airport check this?

4) Accomodation for a family of four adults for two weeks - I visited many accomodation websites from Hotels to Apartments to Vacation rentals etc etc., but cannot make up my mind what to select. I am looking for a medium range (Not high / Not low), secured and convenient place. I am sure you are aware of the cost involved in during the first visit for a family of four. Therefore, I am looking for a reasonable, decent option without compromising convenience and security.

Regards

gd

Chemist

May 12, 2009
Hello GD.

Thank you very much for sharing your concern and my sincere congratulation to you and your family.

Would you be kind to answer the following: What is your occupation? How long have you wait to get the immigrant visa? We are planning to immigrate Canada and we started to collect all needed requirements. My wife occupation is currently on 38 list of Canada in demand jobs. Her educations are both indemand in Canada(Doctor and Nurse)

Your response will give us inspiration or guidance.

Thanks, Ross

marabsky

Mar 4, 2009
Durban, South Africa
gd said:
3) I read somewhere that health cards need to be applied after three months of your stay in canada. Bearing in mind that our first visit will last maximum of two weeks, is it mandatory that we must bring a health insurance for this short stay? In other words, does everyone who visit for the first time need to bring a health insurance to cover emergency medical needs? Do the immigration officials at the airport check this?
I would definately for your own risk management/peace of mind - otherwise, should you or your family end up in hosptial e.g. car accident or any other common health problem the whole fee would be for your own pocket, which could ruin you financially.

Get travel health insurance for any trips outside the country where you have medical coverage!

gd

May 9, 2009
Thanks marabsky for your clarification. I understand it now.

To : Chemist

We applied three years ago. That time the rules are different. Can immigration mentioned that time it will take 36 months minimum to process. It exactly took 36 months.

By the way my profession is Engineer.

Regards

gd

Chemist

May 12, 2009
To: GD, Thankyou very much for the information. It seems that it make take years before they award the PRV. Ross