+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience Thousand Island bridge

azamat277

Jan 9, 2020
I landed/flagpoled at Thousand Island today (Friday, 1/31) and it was very smooth experience. Drove from Toronto and reached the border at 11 am. There was absolutely no one other than me at both US and Canada sides. Waited 5 min at US side; 10 min at Canada side and became PR! Then went to nearest Service Canada office which was in a town called Gananoque. Again no one there so no wait. 10 min for SIN. Recommend everyone going to Thousand Island.

will2009

Dec 27, 2017
I am wondering if I can take greyhound/ megaus to Kingston and Uber to the bridge, then walk between US/ CA border office? I do not have a car so this is the question that I am trying to seek clarity before I can go. Thank you.

I already landed at Thousand Island on Wed and worth to drive there...I will share my little experience

Left Toronto at 9:30am and arrived Thousand Island border at 12:30pm (with some washroom break)
you need to pay the toll for crossing the bridge (US$3 or CAD$4) one time. Waited 7-10 mins with 2 lanes open in US border

I had US visa but CBP officer kinda "force" me to do flagpole as this was my main purpose of the trip...1000 island in Winter is boring/empty so i couldn't lie I was here to travel lol .....Officer explained flagpole won't leave any refuse record on me.

I waited close to an hour for the flagpole document probably they worked like a Sydney office but I got the document with apologize of wait and U-Turn to Canada. The wait time is vary so you may get yours in 10 mins - 1 hour.

No car at all in Canadian border so just let the officer know I was here to land and gave her the flagpole document...CBSA asked me to park the car and head into the building (the new building is very nice) ...No one inside so all the procedure done in 15 mins with one question (did you commit a crime?)...she signed the CoPR and took away my work permit....I am finally a PR now lol (Last Monday I was still pissing where was my PPR)

Finally, I searched the closest Service Canada near me and got my new Social Insurance Number (in a small town called Gananoque so no one there again lol)

I recommend to drive here because you don't need to worry about people and they allow you to land anytime. All Niagara Falls border only allow limited ppl on Tues - Thurs. People got rejected to land before or waited 5+ hours for landing, not to mention the traffic on 401/QEW

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
I am wondering if I can take greyhound/ megaus to Kingston and Uber to the bridge, then walk between US/ CA border office? I do not have a car so this is the question that I am trying to seek clarity before I can go. Thank you.
I don't see anyone walking to the border and unheard...feel like it is car only's port ~

maybe you can rent a car for a day? (find some discount code) it maybe cheaper than uber/megabus

tejaswi vanguri

Oct 16, 2019
I done my landing today in 1000 island. I had a very different experience. In the US broader they have taken my husband and mine biometrics and photos. While leaving they said all the best buddies and good luck for your permenant residence. Is this normal or any problem in future

tejaswi vanguri

Oct 16, 2019
I also wanted to share my experience.

As I work during the week, my family and I left GTA and reached Gananoque around 8 pm on Friday. We booked a hotel so that we could go around or take boats the day after and also go to border overnight.

We reached 1000 island bridge around 10:30 pm (paid the toll fee) , there was only 1 lane processing and only 3 cars ahead of us. We got to US border at 10:40 pm, told the officer we are there for flagpole. He kindly guided us to park the car for security check and we went to the building. They asked the main applicant a few questions and prepared docs in 20 minutes. The main thing was a paper with our names on it doing flag-pole.

Then he guided us how to return without entering US. We made a U-turn and reached the Canadian border 11:10 pm. There was one lane processing cars and we waited for 2 minutes until it was our turn. The Canadian officer checked our docs and guided us to the building to do the immigration process.

There was a very kind and helpful lady helping us do the landing. remember the following docs:

- all work/study/residence permits
- passports
- COPR
- prepare Proof of fund (just in case)

She processed everything and we left around 11:45 pm, overall 20 minutes (5 minutes per passport)

Definitely much easier than Naigara and we enjoyed our next day stay in Gananoque.
Did they taken any fringer prints and photo in the US broader

karambollo

Jul 9, 2019
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-10-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
I received my PPR a week ago while travelling to Ontario from Nova Scotia. I only brought passport with me and currently I am on temporary work permit which I didn't bring with me.
You think it would be enough to present passport with stamped visa in it and CoPR at the landing or shall I stay on the safe side and do landing or interview in Nova Scotia with all paperwork on hand?

Shmesh

Feb 18, 2020
Hi,
I'd like to share my experience in getting my PGWP at Lansdowne/1000 Islands.
We went there on Saturday morning Feb 15th at 10:30 am. Nobody was waiting so I told the officer in Canada that I need to the flagpole for my PGWP. First, he said why you didn't apply online. I said I didn't want to wait. He was absolutely grumpy. Then he said your husband must accompany you in the US border, while I didn't want to take him. We had planned that he waits for me in the Canada office while I cross the border. We had the same experience when he wanted to get his PGWP in another port of entry. But the officer insisted this is a governmental building and we don't let you sit and wait here. We explained that we are Iranian citizens and an unnecessary visit to the US border is foolish as we might go through an intense security interview, especially after the rise of the tensions between Iran and the US. But he insisted so I dropped my husband in a cafe 2-3 minutes inside Canada and let him wait there. It was such a cozy place and the lady working there was a nice and helpful person. I drove to the US border and waited in the line by car for 30 minutes. Then the officer guided me to parking and they got my car keys and I went to the office. As an Iranian citizen, I expected to be interviewed. But they were absolutely nice and asked me several personal questions and took my phone and its code to investigate. I was not taken to any special room, just a nice lady came and called out my name each time for asking polite questions. I was kept waiting for 2 hours there, then left the US with a flagpole paper. The Canadian officer at the border was also grumpy. He told me you should have applied online and you have been a student and are not a disabled person not to be able to use the computer. He was so rude. He finally guided me to parking and I went in to start the process of issuing my PGWP. Fortunately, the lady officer doing my work was so nice, however, she seemed to be a beginner and it took her another 2 hours to give me my PGWP. She asked for bank statements, so I recommend everybody to take it. I know from my husband's previous experience that issuing PGWP is a 10-minute process, so I was frustrated at the end. Finally, after a 5-hour process, I had my PGWP, valid for three years, at my hand.

Generally, I recommend this border because it is not busy. But expect to see the rudest and grumpiest Canadian officers and the most polite American officers of your life here. Also, many people came for landing, which in their case it was very straightforward and fast.

I went there based on the experience shared here. Thank you for sharing your experience.

vigyapan

Aug 3, 2018
WE want to do landing this week any day ( Me n My wife) fro Thousand Islands bridge. Is there any one to join from Toronto so that we can share Cab cost of 400

vinny345

Jan 24, 2019
I wanted to share my landing experience here too, I hope it helps someone or the other. I landed at the Thousand Islands Bridge yesterday that is 24th of Feb. I tagged my brother along, so that I don't have to drive alone. We started at 6:30 PM evening and cruised around 260 KM from the place I live to get there by 9:00 PM. I arrive at the US border, told the officer that I was there for flag poling. The officer was funny - he said, "Oh! So you're going to be a PR in Canada?." I said, "Yes sir!." Officer said, "glad, you didn't bring car full of people, who don't have visas to enter the US and think it's fun to just come by". I laughed and said, "I could never do that." As I was the only person at the border, he took the responsibility to guide me, usually it is someone else who'd do that. I parked my car, went in to the office. I was the only person, along with the other officers. I was taken care of by a female officer, she asked me a couple of questions about my previous trips to the US, what I do, where I live, etc. She gave the flagpole receipt, and she walked me out through the doors and gave the directions to head back to Canada again. She wished me good luck, I thanked her, got in my car and then headed to Canada.

At the Canadian border, I gave the officer my passport, flag poling slip, he asked me if I bought anything at the duty free, I said no. He asked me to head straight in to the parking lot B. I parked my car, went in to the office. I was the only person. I was taken care of a male officer here. He asked, "Hello there! What are we doing today?" I said, "I wanted to do the PR landing." I handed him the passport, all the docs. He was excited to see the new visa (IRCC changed the visa design) on my passport. He said,"Oh! they changed it and made it look nice" I said, "Yes, much better than the old ones." He laughed and he showed the new visa to the officer sitting next to him, "It's cool, eh?" She said, "oh nice!". He came back to me, looked at all the docs, got my signatures. After the signatures, he said, "Congratulations, you're now a PR". I said, "Thanks a lot!" He then told me that the card will sent to my address with in 6 weeks. He also added, "If you want to travel to the states before you get the PR card, you can go ahead and do so, but make sure you're not flying as you'd have trouble getting on a flight with these docs. Using the land border to get in and out should not be a problem". He asked if had any questions. I said, "no". He said, "well, enjoy the rest of your night". I thanked him and said, "good night".

Overall, my experience was great! Both the US and Canadian side. I'm a frequent traveller and I've always had amazing officers at both sides. I understand that some people have reported here saying they have had bad experiences. They are humans too, you never know what their day was like. Either ways being good to each other is the key! Good luck to other folks in the process and the ones who are just getting started. Peace!

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Hi,
I'd like to share my experience in getting my PGWP at Lansdowne/1000 Islands.
We went there on Saturday morning Feb 15th at 10:30 am. Nobody was waiting so I told the officer in Canada that I need to the flagpole for my PGWP. First, he said why you didn't apply online. I said I didn't want to wait. He was absolutely grumpy. Then he said your husband must accompany you in the US border, while I didn't want to take him. We had planned that he waits for me in the Canada office while I cross the border. We had the same experience when he wanted to get his PGWP in another port of entry. But the officer insisted this is a governmental building and we don't let you sit and wait here. We explained that we are Iranian citizens and an unnecessary visit to the US border is foolish as we might go through an intense security interview, especially after the rise of the tensions between Iran and the US. But he insisted so I dropped my husband in a cafe 2-3 minutes inside Canada and let him wait there. It was such a cozy place and the lady working there was a nice and helpful person. I drove to the US border and waited in the line by car for 30 minutes. Then the officer guided me to parking and they got my car keys and I went to the office. As an Iranian citizen, I expected to be interviewed. But they were absolutely nice and asked me several personal questions and took my phone and its code to investigate. I was not taken to any special room, just a nice lady came and called out my name each time for asking polite questions. I was kept waiting for 2 hours there, then left the US with a flagpole paper. The Canadian officer at the border was also grumpy. He told me you should have applied online and you have been a student and are not a disabled person not to be able to use the computer. He was so rude. He finally guided me to parking and I went in to start the process of issuing my PGWP. Fortunately, the lady officer doing my work was so nice, however, she seemed to be a beginner and it took her another 2 hours to give me my PGWP. She asked for bank statements, so I recommend everybody to take it. I know from my husband's previous experience that issuing PGWP is a 10-minute process, so I was frustrated at the end. Finally, after a 5-hour process, I had my PGWP, valid for three years, at my hand.

Generally, I recommend this border because it is not busy. But expect to see the rudest and grumpiest Canadian officers and the most polite American officers of your life here. Also, many people came for landing, which in their case it was very straightforward and fast.

I went there based on the experience shared here. Thank you for sharing your experience.
This is for PGWP? not PR??

CBSA website state that you should apply your PGWP online, not going to port office to do that...,maybe thats why they are not friendly to you

ParisaCA

Apr 8, 2019
Hi guys,
This is Parisa. I would like to do flagpole at 1000 islands border this weekend.
I don’t have a car, and if someone drives to there, I would like to join and share the cost.
We also could rent a car and share its expenses together.
Pls let me know if anyone is interested.

P2020

Dec 22, 2019
Hi guys,
This is Parisa. I would like to do flagpole at 1000 islands border this weekend.
I don’t have a car, and if someone drives to there, I would like to join and share the cost.
Hi guys,

P2020

Dec 22, 2019
Hi
did you find someone to share? I am going this weekend as well, Saturday. we can go together