+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience Thousand Island bridge

dhandpun

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Done flagpoling today at 1000 island. Quite straightforward and easy process/ nice people (both US and Canadian Border security). Started my car at 6:15 AM and returned back home at 3:00 PM in Mississauga (2 - 30 mins breaks At ONroutes). Thank you all for the guidance and suggestions.

Bottom line - Going to 1000 island was a very good decision for me.

CanadianDream888

Apr 16, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton VO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-08-2019
Med's Done....
26-08-2019
Passport Req..
15-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2020
LANDED..........
08-01-2020
Hi guys,

Any suggestions and tips on doing 1000 island flagpole without a car?

I am coming from Scarborough, ON.

Appreciate suggestions and ideas on different transportations and arrangements on how to make it happen. Thanks a lot!

r_fish

Star Member
Jun 24, 2019
Hi guys,

Any suggestions and tips on doing 1000 island flagpole without a car?

I am coming from Scarborough, ON.

Appreciate suggestions and ideas on different transportations and arrangements on how to make it happen. Thanks a lot!
Unfortunately i do not know if there is a foot crossing at this boarder... do you have any way to rent a car? There may be a megabus or greyhound you could take to get pretty close but i think you'll need a car for the final bit (border crossing)

Reactions: CanadianDream888

nelsao

Jan 18, 2020
Hi All,

Did anybody go o Thousand Island to get work permit after received a provincial nomination?

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Is thousand island accept landing everyday? (Niagara fall only Tues-Thurs)

If I have US visa,,,what reason I should tell the US officer? (Instead of flagpole)

btoronto

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Is thousand island accept landing everyday? (Niagara fall only Tues-Thurs)

If I have US visa,,,what reason I should tell the US officer? (Instead of flagpole)
Yes, everyday.

Why would you want to tell a different reason to the US officer?

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Yes, everyday.

Why would you want to tell a different reason to the US officer?
That's good..I may consider this one instead of 3 bridges in Niagara

I have a US Visa so I don't want to leave a record of "refuse entry or flagpole", so I can still tell the US officer I am here for landing but don't issue me a flagpole?

btoronto

Star Member
May 6, 2014
That's good..I may consider this one instead of 3 bridges in Niagara

I have a US Visa so I don't want to leave a record of "refuse entry or flagpole", so I can still tell the US officer I am here for landing but don't issue me a flagpole?
As far as I know, the procedure is the same if you have a US Visa or if you don't. I have an US visa and I told the US Officer I was there to complete my landing. Anyway, the "flagpoling" would not affect your record. But if you're still not sure about it you can book an appointment and do the landing in an office.

BryanL

Jul 17, 2018
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone will require to land soon? I am planning to flag pole at 1000 island bridge on next Monday and offering a car pool (share fare). I am located in Toronto area, planning to leave at 6 AM. I can offer a pickup/drop off at STC location; depend where you live I may able to pick you up on the way. I also planned to go to Service Canada afterward, so we can get our new SIN number.
If anyone interested, please feel free to contact me through direct message.

Bryan

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
I already landed at Thousand Island on Wed and worth to drive there...I will share my little experience

Left Toronto at 9:30am and arrived Thousand Island border at 12:30pm (with some washroom break)
you need to pay the toll for crossing the bridge (US$3 or CAD$4) one time. Waited 7-10 mins with 2 lanes open in US border

I had US visa but CBP officer kinda "force" me to do flagpole as this was my main purpose of the trip...1000 island in Winter is boring/empty so i couldn't lie I was here to travel lol .....Officer explained flagpole won't leave any refuse record on me.

I waited close to an hour for the flagpole document probably they worked like a Sydney office but I got the document with apologize of wait and U-Turn to Canada. The wait time is vary so you may get yours in 10 mins - 1 hour.

No car at all in Canadian border so just let the officer know I was here to land and gave her the flagpole document...CBSA asked me to park the car and head into the building (the new building is very nice) ...No one inside so all the procedure done in 15 mins with one question (did you commit a crime?)...she signed the CoPR and took away my work permit....I am finally a PR now lol (Last Monday I was still pissing where was my PPR)

Finally, I searched the closest Service Canada near me and got my new Social Insurance Number (in a small town called Gananoque so no one there again lol)

I recommend to drive here because you don't need to worry about people and they allow you to land anytime. All Niagara Falls border only allow limited ppl on Tues - Thurs. People got rejected to land before or waited 5+ hours for landing, not to mention the traffic on 401/QEW

adil_0262

Nov 22, 2018
I already landed at Thousand Island on Wed and worth to drive there...I will share my little experience

Left Toronto at 9:30am and arrived Thousand Island border at 12:30pm (with some washroom break)
you need to pay the toll for crossing the bridge (US$3 or CAD$4) one time. Waited 7-10 mins with 2 lanes open in US border

I had US visa but CBP officer kinda "force" me to do flagpole as this was my main purpose of the trip...1000 island in Winter is boring/empty so i couldn't lie I was here to travel lol .....Officer explained flagpole won't leave any refuse record on me.

I waited close to an hour for the flagpole document probably they worked like a Sydney office but I got the document with apologize of wait and U-Turn to Canada. The wait time is vary so you may get yours in 10 mins - 1 hour.

No car at all in Canadian border so just let the officer know I was here to land and gave her the flagpole document...CBSA asked me to park the car and head into the building (the new building is very nice) ...No one inside so all the procedure done in 15 mins with one question (did you commit a crime?)...she signed the CoPR and took away my work permit....I am finally a PR now lol (Last Monday I was still pissing where was my PPR)

Finally, I searched the closest Service Canada near me and got my new Social Insurance Number (in a small town called Gananoque so no one there again lol)

I recommend to drive here because you don't need to worry about people and they allow you to land anytime. All Niagara Falls border only allow limited ppl on Tues - Thurs. People got rejected to land before or waited 5+ hours for landing, not to mention the traffic on 401/QEW
Seems like you had a great experience going to this border for COPR landing, I might give it a try too. Thanks for all the details, I appreciate it.
I was very confused to do flag poling or to have an interview scheduled at offices in Toronto, but based on your experience I think I should go to Thousand Island border and give it a shot, Could you tell me which day did you go and the timings too?