+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience - Peace Arch, Surrey BC

emip106

Feb 4, 2017
Hi All,

Last Friday I landed at Peace Arch border crossing and thought some of you might be interested in my experience. We had planned to travel from Vancouver to Bellingham for the day, and land upon returning to Canada that evening. I thought it best to explain our full plan to the US border agent, and upon hearing that I planned to land that evening insisted that I flagpole and land immediately. I explained that I had a valid work permit and health insurance in Canada (and have crossed the border there on several occasions with no problems), but he felt that there was no guarantee that I would be able to land (or reenter Canada) and for that reason insisted that we had to turn around right away. Having been formally denied entry to the USA (coded as a flagpole - this has no effect on future assessment at the border) we returned to the Canada border, and were told to park and enter their border office. We walked into an empty room and were seen immediately, and the whole process was complete in less than ten minutes. I was asked to initial several paragraphs of the COPR and the agent had us sit for five minutes while he processed paperwork, then congratulated me and wished us well! Questions asked only related to information on the COPR itself - it certainly didn't feel like an interview, more a kindly explanation of my new status.

Interestingly, both the US and Canadian guard informed me that my stamped confirmation of permanent residency was adequate for land border crossings, and that should I wish to cross via land before my PR card arrives I wouldn't have any problems (I didn't entering the USA or returning to Canada later that day). We decided to go down to Bellingham anyway, so crossed the US border again only to be told by a different guard that the first had ' completely wasted your time' and that he couldn't understand his decision to make us flagpole immediately (I echoed his sentiments). Returning to Canada later that day the Canadian guard said the same! Still, no harm done and I am now happily landed.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Yes. It is normally a good idea to simply spend a day or a few hours shopping on the US side and tell the US border guys that this is what you want to do (factually correct statement) - combine the trip into a weekend break?.

Then on return, activate your PR / CoPR at the Canadian side. Just don't leave your return until either 'rush hour' or 'silly o'clock'.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
I live in Washington state and wanted to land at the Peace Arch, as well. Though, I wasn't sure if I could land there, then drive back into the US and drive to Ontario (it's faster to drive through the US). I'd rather do the whole landing procedure nearby because I wouldn't want to make the drive to the Michigan/Ontario border with all our things, then have something go wrong and be stuck there. From your post, it doesn't seem like it'd be a problem to land in one place, then come back and cross the border in another place. Is this correct?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Staunts2015 said:
From your post, it doesn't seem like it'd be a problem to land in one place, then come back and cross the border in another place. Is this correct?
correct. it's not an issue at all. after landing, your stamped COPR and passport will allow you to cross back into Canada without issue.

Reactions: frustratedcanadian

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Hi All,

Last Friday I landed at Peace Arch border crossing and thought some of you might be interested in my experience. We had planned to travel from Vancouver to Bellingham for the day, and land upon returning to Canada that evening. I thought it best to explain our full plan to the US border agent, and upon hearing that I planned to land that evening insisted that I flagpole and land immediately. I explained that I had a valid work permit and health insurance in Canada (and have crossed the border there on several occasions with no problems), but he felt that there was no guarantee that I would be able to land (or reenter Canada) and for that reason insisted that we had to turn around right away. Having been formally denied entry to the USA (coded as a flagpole - this has no effect on future assessment at the border) we returned to the Canada border, and were told to park and enter their border office. We walked into an empty room and were seen immediately, and the whole process was complete in less than ten minutes. I was asked to initial several paragraphs of the COPR and the agent had us sit for five minutes while he processed paperwork, then congratulated me and wished us well! Questions asked only related to information on the COPR itself - it certainly didn't feel like an interview, more a kindly explanation of my new status.

Interestingly, both the US and Canadian guard informed me that my stamped confirmation of permanent residency was adequate for land border crossings, and that should I wish to cross via land before my PR card arrives I wouldn't have any problems (I didn't entering the USA or returning to Canada later that day). We decided to go down to Bellingham anyway, so crossed the US border again only to be told by a different guard that the first had ' completely wasted your time' and that he couldn't understand his decision to make us flagpole immediately (I echoed his sentiments). Returning to Canada later that day the Canadian guard said the same! Still, no harm done and I am now happily landed.
Thanks for sharing! What day did you land by the way? And time if you dont mind. I will stay away from weekends for sure. I am just waiting for our stamped passports and we plan to do the landing at peace arch too.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
We successfully did our landing last Friday at Peace Arch. Just like emip106, the us border officer asked us to flagpole right away (we probably got the same officer). We did not try to enter the US again that day, however we're planning to do it this weekend.. Are we allowed to stay overnight in the US and enter back to canada with only the copr? I can't find a link on the cic website that shows this info.

heystop

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
We successfully did our landing last Friday at Peace Arch. Just like emip106, the us border officer asked us to flagpole right away (we probably got the same officer). We did not try to enter the US again that day, however we're planning to do it this weekend.. Are we allowed to stay overnight in the US and enter back to canada with only the copr? I can't find a link on the cic website that shows this info.
Sure, You can use copr to cross the border via vehicle at any time as long as you meet the residency obligation.
But you cannot use copr to board on a plane if you are not from a visa exempt country. You need your pr card or travel document to fly.

bambii__

Nov 15, 2017
Yes. It is normally a good idea to simply spend a day or a few hours shopping on the US side and tell the US border guys that this is what you want to do (factually correct statement) - combine the trip into a weekend break?.

Then on return, activate your PR / CoPR at the Canadian side. Just don't leave your return until either 'rush hour' or 'silly o'clock'.

Hi there, since I plan to shop in the US outlets before doing my landing at the border, would I be taxed/required to pay duty on the amount I purchased? Or is that part of my previously owned property that is tax exempt? Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi there, since I plan to shop in the US outlets before doing my landing at the border, would I be taxed/required to pay duty on the amount I purchased? Or is that part of my previously owned property that is tax exempt? Thank you!
1. Yes, you would pay taxes and duty, as the goods are not used.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

dave1231

Apr 24, 2018
Hi everyone, Just got my PR yesterday. I have read these forums and have been useful. thanks everyone.
I got my copr yesterday in vancouver and i did the flagpole at peace arch border. Awesome experience. At the U.S border i told them i want to flagpole to validate my visa. Quick and easy. At the canada border, they made me sign on the copr. They did not ask me for proof of funds either. 30 minutes and i was done.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, Just got my PR yesterday. I have read these forums and have been useful. thanks everyone.
I got my copr yesterday in vancouver and i did the flagpole at peace arch border. Awesome experience. At the U.S border i told them i want to flagpole to validate my visa. Quick and easy. At the canada border, they made me sign on the copr. They did not ask me for proof of funds either. 30 minutes and i was done.
Can't you use the u-turn lane back to Canada instead of passed through the US CBP?

knmorris85

Mar 19, 2018
What time of day did you go?