+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience in Toronto

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
could be but I heard from others who carried and nobody ever had any issues. we south asians have a habit of carrying something. Even if we don't, our mothers will still put something in our bag :) Will definitely enquire with airport authorities when i travel next time.
See here the official CBSA site. Declaring does not mean will have any issues but it is the law and there will be a time when it could be an issue when a mother puts a banned item in a bag it will be the traveller who gets into trouble not the mother. Noodles are not likely to be any issue but ready meals could well be content wise so as always if in doubt always declare.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/regs-eng.html

This is just for the benefit of others planning to bring any food into Canada, CBSA may just shrug and say so what but declaring is what it is all about.

Last edited:

niruda

Star Member
Sep 17, 2019
See here the official CBSA site. Declaring does not mean will have any issues but it is the law and there will be a time when it could be an issue when a mother puts a banned item in a bag it will be the traveller who gets into trouble not the mother. Noodles are not likely to be any issue but ready meals could well be content wise so as always if in doubt always declare.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/regs-eng.html

This is just for the benefit of others planning to bring any food into Canada, CBSA may just shrug and say so what but declaring is what it is all about.
noted

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
They generally don't check strictly when you first land, but why jeopardize the first few hours of being in Canada. I just filled the normal declaration, was asked some general questions of what stuff I was carrying, and didn't get checked by customs. You should know what's in your bag, interrogate your parents if you need to. Saying that I don't know what's in my bag might get you in trouble.

niruda

Star Member
Sep 17, 2019
They generally don't check strictly when you first land, but why jeopardize the first few hours of being in Canada. I just filled the normal declaration, was asked some general questions of what stuff I was carrying, and didn't get checked by customs. You should know what's in your bag, interrogate your parents if you need to. Saying that I don't know what's in my bag might get you in trouble.
ofcourse I knew whats in my bag. i packed my own bag :)

niruda

Star Member
Sep 17, 2019
Has anyone one gone to Canada after the lock down for the may intake
I read somewhere that only applicants who were able to fly before March 18th were allowed. After that nobody was allowed. I cant find the link of that article.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
ohhh okay... but what about the exemptions
right now I think the only exemptions were those who got a study permit before 18th of march, PR holders and Citizens. Your institution might have made it online only for the summer, which means you can start your program outside of Canada. You will still be eligible for PGWP. No point of coming all the way to canada if it is now online. You still have to submit your study permit to your college before registering.

Kidu995

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
right now I think the only exemptions were those who got a study permit before 18th of march, PR holders and Citizens. Your institution might have made it online only for the summer, which means you can start your program outside of Canada. You will still be eligible for PGWP. No point of coming all the way to canada if it is now online. You still have to submit your study permit to your college before registering.
okay and thank you!!!

mariontorres

Mar 14, 2021
Completing almost four months in Toronto now. Sharing my landing experience with all. I was very nervous when I landed in Toronto on December 28th as it was a last minute ticket booking, Luggage packing and meeting my relatives. It was my first time sitting in an air plane and I had no idea it will be cold inside but got 2 blankets like rectangular burrito blanket to save myself.

Airport experience:

After landing in Toronto, I was both excited and super nervous. I just decided to follow the crowd. The officer asked for my correspondence letter and passport. He asked me college name (seneca) and how much money I have. Guys - Don’t be nervous infront of them. The officer didnt smile and had no expression on his face. I could not understand what he was thinking but I was patient. I had take 3 copies of correspondence letter and my GIC certificate just incase if I loose any. I showed him one copy of each. finally everything was done.

Taxi and Food:

i tried to connect wifi at airport but it was very slow. My plan to call uber failed since I could not connect to internet. Finally, I took a Taxi as there are lots waiting outside. I had booked an Airbnb before coming for 10 days. I was super hungry and knew that I cannot go out. I saw snow for the first time in my life and I was worried if I go out then I may get lost with the roads. I was also very tired but the best thing my parents had done is they had kept 3-4 noodle packets in my bag. I also had instant coffee packets. All I needed was water to make my noodles and i did that. I would advise everybody to carry some ready meals or something that can be cooked with only water and in microwave. I slept for straight 10 hrs. Next day, I walked in the nearby area and went to few stores. The jacket that i had brought with me was useless for Canadian winter so I had to go and buy another one. Luckily there was lot of sale going on during New Years.

Everything seemed to work fine and then COVID-19 struck the world. It is a difficult time for everybody but students like me are struggling a little bit as we have lost job. Never knew what online classroom training is but now experiencing. Since, I lost my job so I have plenty of free time now :). I am not an expert but will try to provide information to anybody who is looking forward to apply in the coming intakes.

Stay safe! Stay healthy!
I had a totally opposite experience with the blankets at the airport back in 2018.