+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience at Peace Bridge and return using AVR on H1B

sashalina1002

Mar 3, 2019
Hi ALL,

Thanks to @Michael26 , @lampbreaker @Joshua2018 using your forums, finally on April 16th we did the landing and returned. I thought I shall also put my experience to help others.

Documents for PR Landing:

Both COPRs
Bank Letters
Passports.

Documents for USA:
Passports
I979 A with the I94 at bottom.

Also kept with us:
Salary Slips
Bonafide Document
Education Transcripts and Certificates.
Previous service experience letters.
Print of AVR (Link provided below)

USA to Canada:
Started our journey early morning 5:30 am from Connecticut in Rental Car. Took like 2 breaks but still tried to reach Peace Bridge Plaza, Fort Erie,ON, Canada at around 12:16 pm.
Officer at Booth greeted us and ask few question like are you moving for good, any firearms, any alcohol, we answered No for all, He gives us Yellow Slips and asks us to Park and the take the center door and meet someone.
We take our documents and proceed inside.
The Lady Office inside, just like any other govt official expressions. Ask do we have COPR with us?, did we read it completely, Do we have good list ? Proof of Fund ? We say yes, she take the COPR and passports and ask us to wait. After 5 mins, she calls us back ask us to sign. She says you have to keep those COPR as it has the landing date. It cannot be duplicated. Just says welcome to canada and says you are know PR of Canada. We say thank you.
We take our goods list to other lady, She signs and take a copy of it sends us to the cashier. Cashier keeps the copy and gives the original back with blue-white paper attached.

We come back to car and start with some address for ServiceOntario for SIN. We reach there after 30 mins of drive and the person says we don't do SIN. Its the Federal govt office "ServiceCanada" in 250 Thorold Rd, Welland,ON. this was again 30 mins drive from other location.
We reach there, take the number and wait for to be called. As we go to the lady and tell her about SIN, She shooed us away and mentioned that your details might not have been updated yet, come after 2 days and we were like seriously. We just left thought we will do it next time.

Back our journey to USA, started from Service Canada office at 14:20pm reached Peace Bridge USA side around 14:50 pm

Canada to USA:
Office at Booth ask for Passports and Nationality. He ask us to keep the I797A with ourselves. Checks the Passports and says there are no stamps in New passports. Says you will need stamps, we are clueless what he is talking. He ask us to park at near by parking spot.
(At the moment I thought if we were Aquaman's family, would have swam back hahaha.)
We were asked to wait in the room with others. Officer calls out by Surname.
Just like any other Govt Person to us.

Officer: You guys have expired Visa and there is no stamp on the New passports. Am I missing anythings? Us: No.
Officer: If you don't have stamp and expired Visa why would you come back to USA ?
Us: to go back home, we have extensions
Officer: Lets see your H extensions ?
Us: Here they are.
Officer: What was the purpose of your visit to Canada?
Us: for our PR landing.
Officer: Ohh so now you are PR of Canada, then why you come back?
Us: we have our assignment commitments.
Officer: How long were you in Canada ?
Us: 2 hours and half appx.
Officer: Did you go any other country outside Canada on this visit ?
Us: No
Officer tears the I94 from the I979 A and attached it to the New Passport, Puts a stamp and says you are all set.
We take out passports heads right to the car towards our home.
Time we start from Peace Bridge USA at 3:16 pm and we breath a big sigh of relief. We reached back home at 9:35 pm.

AVR Link:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/automatic-revalidation-for-certain-temporary-visitors

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for sharing. I think the only reason they sent you inside on the US side is because your expired Visas were in expired passports. Otherwise maybe the officer was less knowledgeable.

Reactions: sashalina1002

Michael26

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Generally for most people crossing at land posts, they don't send them inside the building, only check documents in the car and let them go.
I am sorry. I responded thinking it was my post.
You are correct. The officer was concerned about the expired passports probably.

sashalina1002

Mar 3, 2019
I am sorry. I responded thinking it was my post.
You are correct. The officer was concerned about the expired passports probably.
Thats what we thought..! Now may be next time if you go we should be all set. Also i wanted to ask @Michael26 you mentioned that the SIN office was right behind the building . We did not find any!

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hello @sashalina1002

Glad to know things worked out for you as well.

I went through the exact same process you folks did, exactly a week ago!!

Good Luck!!! Have you decided when you would be moving Canada permanently?

Michael26

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Thats what we thought..! Now may be next time if you go we should be all set. Also i wanted to ask @Michael26 you mentioned that the SIN office was right behind the building . We did not find any!
I am trying to find on where I said the SIN office is right behind the building. I couldn't find it. However if I had said it somewhere that is not true to my knowledge. I got my SIN in Brampton.

ZionCanadahopeful

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
29-02-2019
Passport Req..
01-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
10-04-2019
LANDED..........
16-05-2019
Hi Thanks for the detailed report.

Did you guys not apply for a PR card during landing. i dont see you have mentioned that?. I read in another thread officer saying if you are doing soft landing you cant apply for PR card even if you give a canadian address

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi Thanks for the detailed report.

Did you guys not apply for a PR card during landing. i dont see you have mentioned that?. I read in another thread officer saying if you are doing soft landing you cant apply for PR card even if you give a canadian address
Yes, it does happen. Most of these posts I have seen are at the Windsor-Detroit border.

Most other people are able to use friend/relative's address to apply.

ZionCanadahopeful

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
29-02-2019
Passport Req..
01-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
10-04-2019
LANDED..........
16-05-2019
They said that the card will be coming to our USA address.
Wait you applied for PR card and gave US address?
Please give us more details as this is the first time I am hearing getting PR card delivered outside Canada

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
They said that the card will be coming to our USA address.
Are you sure? I do not believe PR Cards will be sent out to any address outside of Canada. Sometimes even border officials processing COPRs refuse to accept friend/relative address if one is doing a soft landing as you can read on this forum. If I were you, I would reconfirm that they are indeed sending PR cards outside Canada which if true is big news for folks doing soft landing.

sashalina1002

Mar 3, 2019
Wait you applied for PR card and gave US address?
Please give us more details as this is the first time I am hearing getting PR card delivered outside Canada
yes Officer asked how long we will be staying on USA address we said 6 months to 1 year. So they said it will be delivered to our address in USA in 5 to 6 weeks, instead of any friend or relative.