+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing by plane using PR Travel Document

Oct 13, 2018
Hi All - I just became a PR in Dec 2018. I completed my soft landing via land at the end of Dec 2018 (drove from Buffalo to Toronto via Peace Bridge). While I did the landing, the officers asked me how long I was planning to stay in Canada, and I said just a day, as I was leaving to go back to the USA to complete my degree. Hence, they said that since I wasn't staying for longer, they wouldn't issue me PR card but were activating my residency, and that I could apply for PRTD when I'm moving permanently. I accepted that and left Canada back to the US the next day.

Now, fast forward to May of this year, and I've finished my degree. I've applied and got the PR Travel Document, and I'm planning to fly into Toronto Pearson airport this weekend using it. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the process at POE to enter using PR TD but also to apply for a PR card at the airport ? Would the immigration guys understand my scenario? It's been less than 180 days since I became a PR in Canada so I can report my address online too for the card.

2. What about the Goods to Follow list and receipts that we get on the first entry? Do I need to show those receipts this time when I enter and does my luggage need to match exactly the Goods to follow list?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for your reply.
It is within 180 days. I tried submitting my address via a webform but they couldn't find me in the system. Out of the following, which is the better alternative:
1. Calling up CIC / visiting an office after I land?
2. Waiting for 180 days to end (in 2 weeks), and then apply for a new card?

Also, please feel free to suggest any inputs for this - does my luggage need to match exactly to the original Goods to follow list?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for your reply.
It is within 180 days. I tried submitting my address via a webform but they couldn't find me in the system. Out of the following, which is the better alternative:
1. Calling up CIC / visiting an office after I land?
2. Waiting for 180 days to end (in 2 weeks), and then apply for a new card?

Also, please feel free to suggest any inputs for this - does my luggage need to match exactly to the original Goods to follow list?
I'd just wait for 2 weeks. It will cost you $50 though. If you want to save the cash, you can try calling IRCC.

No, your luggage doesn't need to match exactly.

Oct 13, 2018
Ok thanks again!
Another thing to note is that maybe I might need to travel again outside Canada after 1 week. Can I fill out the form and ask my cousin to send a post-dated application after 2 weeks? Or will they need me to physically be in the country on the date of application?