Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions that I would love to have answered before land in Pearson in late August.

1. I have seen conflicting answers to this question, but would my partner be able to get his SIN number at the airport?

2. I am completely aware of the 3 month rule for OHIP, but as I have to go and resume my OHIP, can we register my partner at the same time and just have it kick in 3 months later? Or do we need to wait for his official 3 months to be up before registering?

3. We are shipping our stuff within the next week and then going traveling for a month, so our goods will definitely land before us. Do we still need some kind of Goods to Follow form?

4. Besides the COPR, is there anything else we should ensure we have on us at the time? At this time will we have all our luggage with us?

5. In terms of traveling before he gets his PR card, what are we restricted to?

Thanks for your help!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
question: aren't you subject to paying duty on the items you plan to ship prior to landing? I thought the whole point of claiming them on landing and goods to follow forms was to be exempt from paying duty/taxes? How can they be considered "to follow" if they arrive BEFORE landing?

nada3

Jul 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2012
Doc's Request.
25-03-2013 & 15-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-11-2012
Med's Request
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st 12-09-2012; 2nd 22-01-2014
Passport Req..
27-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2014
LANDED..........
25-04-2014
Applicant7 said:
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions that I would love to have answered before land in Pearson in late August.

1. I have seen conflicting answers to this question, but would my partner be able to get his SIN number at the airport?

2. I am completely aware of the 3 month rule for OHIP, but as I have to go and resume my OHIP, can we register my partner at the same time and just have it kick in 3 months later? Or do we need to wait for his official 3 months to be up before registering?

3. We are shipping our stuff within the next week and then going traveling for a month, so our goods will definitely land before us. Do we still need some kind of Goods to Follow form?

4. Besides the COPR, is there anything else we should ensure we have on us at the time? At this time will we have all our luggage with us?

Thanks for your help!
1. Yes, you can get a SIN at the airport
2. to apply for OHIP you will need 3 documents, one to prove who you are (passport), to prove your status (COPR) and to prove your address (bank statement or drivers license with Canadian address). This last one is tricky as you probably don't have either one of those. So, yes you could apply early, but only if you had all 3 requested documents.
3. Not sure about this one....

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
rhcohen2014 said:
question: aren't you subject to paying duty on the items you plan to ship prior to landing? I thought the whole point of claiming them on landing and goods to follow forms was to be exempt from paying duty/taxes? How can they be considered "to follow" if they arrive BEFORE landing?
Agreed, but we are without choice as we leave our apartment to go backpacking for a month (before we land) and cannot have it shipped after we leave.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Applicant7 said:
Agreed, but we are without choice as we leave our apartment to go backpacking for a month (before we land) and cannot have it shipped after we leave.
ok oh. i thought i was missing something. good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I definitely think that having the applicant's goods arrive, before he actually completes the landing process, could be an issue.

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
Ponga said:
I definitely think that having the applicant's goods arrive, before he actually completes the landing process, could be an issue.
Even if we explained the situation? We don't really have another option.

Eowyn

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
(CoPR) 31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Applicant7 said:
Being brutally honest, I don't think they care. I doubt a holiday would be seen as critical in their eyes. :(
Can your shipping company not store the items for you until you are ready to receive them? Have you got family or friends who can help you out and arrange to have them shipped at a later date? If you are having your things sent on a container ship, it will likely take 6-8 weeks for them to arrive. This is assuming you aren't just sending a few boxes, of course.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Applicant7 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!
I am unsure about SIN at the airport. I have never been there and will defer an answer to those who have landed there. You can apply for your husbands OHIP so long as you have the necessary documents they require. He will still wait his standard 3 months though, which you obviously know.

You should be fine to ship the things as they likely will not arrive before you. Just to make a point, I once sent a box of chocolate to a friend in the UK. It took 12 weeks to get there. Never ship a box of candy 'ground' even if it save a fortune in shipping costs. LOL Even if they do arrive before you, I think they will just sit until someone claims them, which you SHOULD be able to do once you land. I don't see it as a problem or an issue, but you could contact CBSA and they can give you a definitive answer as they are who you will be dealing with in this case. Make sure he has his COPR and his passport for landing purposes. These are the only 2 documents you MUST have to officially land. If he has a british passport, then TECHNICALLY speaking, you aren't restricted to anything before his PR card arrives. He can board a flight for Canada as a 'visitor' even have he has officially become a PR. He would just let the airline assume he is a visitor and then once landed at the airport, get in the proper line for returning residents. They can find him in the system without a problem. One thing they did when I landed was attached my COPR to my passport page that they stamped. I left it in there until I received my physical PR card then put it up for safe keeping. I assume they do that for all newly landed immigrants. If they do not, then do it yourself, then you have it ever it is requested.

Best of luck to you on your new journey.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applicant7 said:
As Alurra71 suggested, you should call CBSA and find out from them.

You definitely need a straight answer from them ASAP...to prevent a big surprise when your goods do arrive at the Canadian border.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Applicant7 said:

1 - Yes, but depends on what terminal and what time you land. Check or call Pearson for details.

2 - He can register ONLY if he has 1 of the specific documents from List 2 here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf . If he doesn't have one of those exact docs, he won't be able to apply. Anyways he has 3 months to register for OHIP, really no advantage to doing it early.

3 - As mentioned, call CBSA and ask. Stuff in your name will be exempt as a returning Canadian. Stuff in your partners name will be exempt ONLY AFTER he lands as a PR. Who knows how they will treat stuff they receive prior to him becoming a PR.

4 - Just COPR and passport.

5 - A new PR can travel without physical PR card, as long as they hold a visa-exempt passport. When back in Canada, CBSA will be able to determine PR status just from passport and COPR.
Keep in mind sometimes airlines in others countries give travelers a hard time when they are travelling to Canada on a 1-way ticket, even if they're visa exempt.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My wife got her SIN at Pearson after she landed. The SIN kiosk was right across the counter with the officer who did her landing. It was Terminal 1.

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
Eowyn said:
Being brutally honest, I don't think they care. I doubt a holiday would be seen as critical in their eyes. :(
Can your shipping company not store the items for you until you are ready to receive them? Have you got family or friends who can help you out and arrange to have them shipped at a later date? If you are having your things sent on a container ship, it will likely take 6-8 weeks for them to arrive. This is assuming you aren't just sending a few boxes, of course.
We are literally "shipping" 2 boxes (both about 50 pounds). We are simply sending them through DHL. I am getting quite worried here!

Edit: It should also be noted that most of the items being shipped are my stuff (I am a Canadian citizen)! Should I even declare it at all?

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Applicant7 said:
We are literally "shipping" 2 boxes (both about 50 pounds). We are simply sending them through DHL. I am getting quite worried here!

Edit: It should also be noted that most of the items being shipped are my stuff (I am a Canadian citizen)! Should I even declare it at all?
Of course you should declare it. And unless you have proof that you are relocating back to Canada you may have to pay duties/import taxes. As a Canadian you are not exempt from duties/import taxes when you enter Canada (other than the $750 allowed limit). After being away for a few months with my husband in his country I came back after our engagement ceremony, got stopped by CBSA at YUL and had to pay duties/import taxes on my wedding dresses, engagement ring, other clothing and jewelery given to me as gifts on my engagement.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Applicant7 said:

I don't know why people seem to think it will affect your PR landing. It will have ZERO effect, so don't even worry about that. And I am speaking from personal experience here, as my partner and I shipped a box prior to returning to Canada.

The only issue will be possible taxes/duties.