+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing as Permanent Residents at Blue Water Bridge Sarnia/Port Huron

Jul 29, 2019
Blue Water Bridge [Sarnia, ON/Port Huron, MI] land entry seems to be much less busy than the Detroit entry port. You can check the waiting time and delays here.

MI charges USD 3 for passing the blue water bridge on the U.S. side.
The CA to US direction seemed to have a lot more traffic than the reverse direction. I don't know why.

We drove and stopped at a checkpoint. An officer asked for our passports and CoPR papers and told us to drive to the customs building.

Outside the building, some officers vaguely guide me to park at a spot. In the building, there were so few people that I did not even need to wait in a line. I saw 3-5 officials working there then.

The officer took the passport(s) and CoPR papers and told me to wait in the waiting area. He called us and asked for more information or documents. This kind of back and forth went for several times.

A few tips:
  • If your car is a rental one, make sure you get a printed rental agreement and have an employee of the rental car to either sign or stamp on it.
  • The officer I interacted did not seem to care about Form 186 and Form 186A for goods to accompany and did not even want me to hand them over. He did care about Form 186 and Form 186A for goods to follow. Make sure you have two copies: one for him, the other for you.
    • He did stamp on both copies
  • If you have a visitor with you on temporary visiting visa, worry not: he or she would be able to stay with you during the whole process. You can even speak on her behalf if you wish to.

Overall, this whole process was very smooth and took us around 30 minutes after stepping into the building.

After entry, a few tips:
  1. There were speed traps almost immediately after I drove into Canada: some Canadian officers parked along the highway and was testing the income traffic's speeds. Be very careful as I hazard drivers from the U.S. would mistakenly X km/h as Y m/h just by habit.

Last edited: