+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and residing Edmonton Sep.2017 with PR -will I be covered for Health immediately?

milesp

Mar 21, 2016
Devon
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2016
Hi, Finally received COPR and due to fly to meet my wife in Edmonton, September 12. Will be residing there permanently.
1. Will I be covered immediately, or have to wait 3 months?
2. Is there anything I can do to speed up getting medical card from here in the UK now, or do I have to wait to clear immigration on arrival and have my PR stamped and recognised?
3.Where do I apply for Health Card. AHCO 102 is a PDF form I have found -is this the correct

I would be very grateful for input here, Many thanks, Miles

mohammedessam

Oct 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-Apr-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
13-May-2015
File Transfer...
06-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
10-Oct-2015
Hi, Finally received COPR and due to fly to meet my wife in Edmonton, September 12. Will be residing there permanently.
1. Will I be covered immediately, or have to wait 3 months?
2. Is there anything I can do to speed up getting medical card from here in the UK now, or do I have to wait to clear immigration on arrival and have my PR stamped and recognised?
3.Where do I apply for Health Card. AHCO 102 is a PDF form I have found -is this the correct

I would be very grateful for input here, Many thanks, Miles

Your health coverage will start from the 3rd month after landing so if you land July 20 then your coverage start October 1
You can't do anything about it
the application is at https://cfr.forms.gov.ab.ca/Form/AHC0102.pdf

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In Alberta coverage starts immediately. but you must register within the first 3 months. The forms can be found online.

Eligible residents
An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

1. Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  2. Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  3. Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  4. Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
NOTE: Individuals coming to Alberta on visas or permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage, depending on the type of immigration document they have, the length of time on the document and their commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

Register
Albertans can register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) and update their information at authorized registry agent offices across the province at no cost (free). See the list of authorized registry agents.

1. Download the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan Coverage application form (Form AHC0102) or pick up the form at a registry agent office.
  2. Complete the AHCIP application form and:
    1. Bring it to a registry agent office along with your supporting documents. Processing time can take up to 5 days.
    2. Or mail your completed application along with photocopies of your supporting documents to Alberta Health. Photocopies must include front and back of the document, if applicable. Do not send original documents by mail as we cannot guarantee their safe return. Processing time can take up to 6 weeks.

milesp

Mar 21, 2016
Devon
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2016
Thanks for your replies.
For anyone else considering this -canuck 78 is correct -provided I have PR and will stay in Alberta for 12 months (and onwards), I am covered immediately.
This may mean paying out of pocket before Health Card is received -one still has to apply -though this can be reimbursed upon arrival of health card. Fortunate, as some provinces do not offer such generous coverage