+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and Job hunting suggestions request please..

letstry

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
caba4blue said:
Hi, I landed in Toronto 4 years ago
One thing I would say is - life is different in Canada and things do not work as fast as you may hope!
I don't think making a trip is going to help you at all, you should save the money and fins a short term let, then you can start to find your new perm home when you a re here.
Many companies will not be able to sort out new jobs in a couple of weeks, it normally takes a lot longer than this!!!
Until you are here in Canada it is not worth planning anything as you will have to realize you are now on Canadian time and things always change!!! you will have to give up control for a short period of time.
ashishv said:

Hi Savitha

Your kid is still young and you don't have to bother much about school at this stage. However, start making up your mind because a person always gets comfortable where he lives. Shifting after 2 years to a new area will again be mentally challenging.

At this stage I will not be able to share any info on child care facility because we have not yet availed it / looked into it.

Regarding accommodation, ask yourself - where will you live after you land - do you have friends, family with whom you can stay. If not (as was my case), you have to make arrangements like hotel, temporary vacation rentals etc before you land. Its advisable to go for temporary homes than hotels as you get an entire unit (including kitchen) which is required in case of kids. In most cases, the payment will be made online while booking.

Stuff to carry from home - apart from your regular stuff and important stuff, we carried one week of all basic essentials (like sugar, salt, spices etc) so that we don't have to run immediately for them (still you have to go and get some milk, bread etc). My younger one is 2 years so we had to carry additional baby stuff as well.

It would take nearly a month to understand basic things. This country (at least Vancouver) runs on appointments!! Even to open a bank account, you have to take an appointment. I was shocked when I was asked to come on another day to open a new account because I did not have an appointment on the day of my visit (not like our banks wherein you will be ambushed the very same moment as you say - i want to open an account ;))

You learn new things daily and everything will add on to your settlement experience!
Thankyou so much both of you..Your real life experience will help me tremendously in taking the right decision.

Thanks once again for your time!