App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
We got ITA and are in the process of uploading the last papers so I don't care about getting a job offer for the extra points.
1. My main question is I know things may take a few months before settling but I'm trying to prepare in advance for life in case we move. How probable is it to get a job? We are willing to do "low-level" jobs while getting settled but of course it'd be preferable to get a job in the right NOC field I'm in
2. When it comes to apartment hunting, we would most probably be crashing at an acquaintance's place for a couple of months. Is it possible to rent a place before moving? I heard that landlords request bank proofs and credit card checks before allowing you to rent a place.
3. We are planning to have a baby soon but with the mess of moving and ending up with maternity leave as well as no insurance apparently when you first move. Should we postpone all that till after we're settled?
4. Any others things to keep in mind? Preparing receipts for taxes etc...

ladybug8888

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since I don't know where you are going to land then my answers can be not the right one for your area. Just to make you aware :)
1. In case of low-level jobs it will be hard to find from outside of Canada. But after you land it shouldn't take much time to find them, since there is always a need for blue-collar workers.
2. This question I won't be able to answer unfortunately. I don't know if someone would rent a place without seeing a possible tenant. But if you have friends in Canada then it would be nice to ask them for help, so they would go to meet in person with landlord. I was never asked for bank proofs or credit card checks but they might ask for references.
3. You gain rights for paid maternity leave after 1 year of work. But if you income will be at low level you can request a child benefit (up to 500 dollars per month depending on income). For me it would a little risky to have child before you settle down, but it's only my point of you and I don't know your full sutiation :)
4. In case of taxes you can find on CIC webpages agencies, who can help you with it for free, you just need to request an appointment in advance. Or if you have friends then maybe they can help with it. As PR you can do it online as well.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Thank you for that!
For point 1, I have a masters degree and 5 years of experience in digital advertising agencies. However I'm not sure if I can get a good job before moving. when I say "low-level" I mean supermarket or cashier or waiter just for the extra income until I get resettled in a company. It would be great if I can land a job in my field before moving but don't know how possible it is. I'm targeting Vancouver or BC mainly as there's a good market for my degrees and work experience

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamgha said:
We got ITA and are in the process of uploading the last papers so I don't care about getting a job offer for the extra points.
1. My main question is I know things may take a few months before settling but I'm trying to prepare in advance for life in case we move. How probable is it to get a job? We are willing to do "low-level" jobs while getting settled but of course it'd be preferable to get a job in the right NOC field I'm in
2. When it comes to apartment hunting, we would most probably be crashing at an acquaintance's place for a couple of months. Is it possible to rent a place before moving? I heard that landlords request bank proofs and credit card checks before allowing you to rent a place.
3. We are planning to have a baby soon but with the mess of moving and ending up with maternity leave as well as no insurance apparently when you first move. Should we postpone all that till after we're settled?
4. Any others things to keep in mind? Preparing receipts for taxes etc...
Yes, It nearly impossible to rent an apartment without being here and having income. You need to find someone that willing to let you in for at least a month before you can find an apartment.
In my opinion, post-pone breeding is a good choice. Unless, you are planning to have 4 children and let your wife being a housewife full-time. Else, you will be in a very bad financing position.

Before landing:
1. Read all the job bank portalsto look for your desired job requirement that employer posted. Make sure you have >90% with those requirement
2. Winter clothes just one-piece if you land in winter, and immediately go to value village to buy all the second hand ones. That way, you will save some money.

Things you need to do as soon as possible after landing.
1. SIN number
2. Health card
3. Canadian credit card.
4. Driver license

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Yes you're confirming what I heard about the apartment.
I'm the wife lol have no intention of being a full time housewife :D and definitely not four kids lol
That's a good tip "2. Winter clothes just one-piece if you land in winter, and immediately go to value village to buy all the second hand ones. That way, you will save some money.
" we have cold winters but I doubt our current winter clothes would work for the canadian weather.

Noted for the rest! Thanks!