+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed!

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
Hi Everyone.
I would like to share my landing experience with you.
My application started 2009 through Federal Skilled Worker program. The process was lengthy and quite a lot of documents transfer needed despite my application was sent through an immigration agent.

When I reached Vancouver airport, a guy will guide you through to the immigration counter where you'll see several immigration staff serving newly arrived immigrants.
First, I reached the "welcome counter" where a nicely staff welcomed me and gave me several booklets and explain where I could find help. She is really nice and helpful!
Then I got a ticket and waited for the next call. After 10 minutes, a chinese looking immigration staff called my number and checked my landing paper and documents. Actually, I don't think she was nice, even worse, she seemed a bit "not welcome" me to be a Canadian immigrant.

After checking my landing paper, she asked me several questions which were listed on the landed paper including address. She didn't like comfortable with my address and keep asking who is going to pick up the PR card for me since I will leave Canada three days later. I answered that my friend will pick up the PR card for me. Then she asked me the phone number of my friend. Fortunately I prepared and then gave her the phone number. Finally she reiterated that the landed paper could not be used as a entry document until I get my PR card. Then I left and she didn't welcome me, nor any sign or welcome. So...

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
So for those who plan to land:
- prepare the questions (the questions listed on the landing paper) well and your address, phone number and name of your friends / relative.
- proof of funds, good to follow list "may be" asked only (I didn't)
- not all immigration staff are nice and will welcome you.
- Canada is great but we all have to pass immigration section. I knew somebody had to fly back because immigration officer refused them to enter. :eek:
- If you plan to leave Canada without PR card, just forget all other unnecessary document applications first including SIN, Bank account or any other social ties with Canada until you're going to stay permanently.

Good luck to all of you!
Welcome to Canada! :D

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
HurryJacky said:
So for those who plan to land:
- prepare the questions (the questions listed on the landing paper) well and your address, phone number and name of your friends / relative.
- proof of funds, good to follow list "may be" asked only (I didn't)
- not all immigration staff are nice and will welcome you.
- Canada is great but we all have to pass immigration section. I knew somebody had to fly back because immigration officer refused them to enter. :eek:
- If you plan to leave Canada without PR card, just forget all other unnecessary document applications first including SIN, Bank account or any other social ties with Canada until you're going to stay permanently.

Good luck to all of you!
Welcome to Canada! :D

You mean to say if I plan to leave Canada before getting PRC, no need to apply for bank account, SIN, health card etc ?
What if I apply for SIN at that time ? Will it be active when I plan to land finally (say after 6 months) ?

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
Make sure you apply "Non-residential" type of SIN. Otherwise Canada Government will assume that you start "getting benefit" and you have to pay tax.
Good Luck!

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
You are lucky that she accepted your friend's address in spite of the fact that you said you are going to leave.
Numerous members on this forum said that their PR card application was not completed because they were not going to stay in Canada.
I guess my advice is go to Canada to land if you intend to stay there and not leave in a couple of days. But I do realize this is sometimes impossible.

Good luck!

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Hi
What if the principal applicant leave canada without getting his PR card and his family settle there.
Should he be entitled to pay taxes on the income he is earning outside canada.
If her spouse has residential ties( bank account,apartment etc) but not working in Canada.
Thanks

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
Try to look at this from Canada Revenue Agency.

Residency - Individuals Under Canada's tax system, your liability for income tax in Canada is based on your status as a resident or non-resident of Canada. Residency must be established before your tax liability to Canada can be determined.

A determination of residency can only be made after all the factors have been considered. Your circumstances have to be reviewed in their entirety to get an accurate picture of your residency.

The residential ties you have or establish in Canada are a major factor in determining residency. Residential ties to Canada can include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) or dependants in Canada;
personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture;
social ties in Canada;
economic ties in Canada.

Other ties that may be relevant include:

a Canadian driver's licence;
Canadian bank accounts or credit cards;
health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.
Residential ties that you maintain or establish in another country may also be relevant to residency.

Special rules may apply in the following circumstances:

If you established residential ties and became a resident of Canada, see Newcomers to Canada (immigrants).
If you severed residential ties and ceased to be a resident of Canada, see Leaving Canada (emigrants).
If you do not have residential ties in Canada, you may be a deemed resident if you stayed in Canada for 183 days or more.
If you are a government employee outside Canada, or you are a member of the Canadian Forces serving outside of Canada.
If you are a resident of another country and do not have residential ties in Canada, see Non-residents of Canada.
The above information is of a general nature only. For more information on residency, see Interpretation Bulletin IT221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status.

Your residency status affects your Canadian tax liability and filing obligations. The Canada Revenue Agency can provide you with our opinion on your residency status. To request our assistance, complete Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada) or Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada). Send your completed form to the International Tax Services Office. Complete these forms with as much detail as possible to enable us to provide you with an accurate opinion.

After your residence status has been established, you can get information on your Canadian tax liability and filing requirements on our International and non-resident pages.

Forms and publications
IT221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status
Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)
Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada)

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
So according to your situation, make sure you talk to an accountant first because according to my accountant, Canada Revenue agency has the right to charge you tax even you're working outside Canada but usually at a reduced rate (Canada tax minus working country tax).
Your family / dependent has already a strong residential ties with Canada, so far as I know, you'll have to pay the tax even you're working outside Canada.
Good luck!

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
jamesbond said:
You are lucky that she accepted your friend's address in spite of the fact that you said you are going to leave.
Numerous members on this forum said that their PR card application was not completed because they were not going to stay in Canada.
I guess my advice is go to Canada to land if you intend to stay there and not leave in a couple of days. But I do realize this is sometimes impossible.

Good luck!
I think it is very difficult for us, as working class, to stay for at least 8 weeks in Canada just for picking up PR card. The time the landing paper issue to the time I have to land was just about 4 weeks! It's nearly impossible to quit my job in my own country or apply 8 weeks of annual leave, sales all my properties and settled two months payment.
Years ago, the time from receiving landing paper to the time of landing was 6 months and so those immigrants got time to think and prepare for landing.

Good Luck for everyone!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are all kinds of ways to go around this you know. First of all, you don't have to tell the IO that you are only staying for a short time. Second, even if they refuse your address, you can call CIC a couple of days after you have arrived and report that you didn't have an address at the time of landing and now you do so could they please enter it. Third, if that doesn't work, you will not get a PR card right away but that is not a big deal since you can apply for a PR travel document to get back to Canada once you are ready and get your PR card then.

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
HurryJacky said:
So according to your situation, make sure you talk to an accountant first because according to my accountant, Canada Revenue agency has the right to charge you tax even you're working outside Canada but usually at a reduced rate (Canada tax minus working country tax).
Your family / dependent has already a strong residential ties with Canada, so far as I know, you'll have to pay the tax even you're working outside Canada.
Good luck!
Thanks HurryJacky.