+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed yesterday - Do I need a new SIN card?

pete6256

Jan 27, 2011
Morning everyone,

I had a question I was hoping someone could help with.

I landed at Niagara Falls yesterday bringing the long application journey to an end, however I had one other question...

I've been working in Canada for several years as a temporary worker and thus I had a temporary Social Insurance Number (Apparently my number started with certain combination of numbers which denotes it as a temporary number).

Now that I have landed, do I need to somehow reapply for a permanent SIN card?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Pete

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
yes, as far as i know they will give u a new one. Go to a nearest SIN office.

feb07

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-13
AOR Received.
18-3-13
IELTS Request
sent with application
pete6256 said:
Morning everyone,

I had a question I was hoping someone could help with.

I landed at Niagara Falls yesterday bringing the long application journey to an end, however I had one other question...

I've been working in Canada for several years as a temporary worker and thus I had a temporary Social Insurance Number (Apparently my number started with certain combination of numbers which denotes it as a temporary number).

Now that I have landed, do I need to somehow reapply for a permanent SIN card?

Yes u need now permanent card visit nearst canada service with landed paper and old sin card.They will issue new sin card with start may be 5------.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Pete

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
iamroth said:
yes, as far as i know they will give u a new one. Go to a nearest SIN office.
Correct. After completing your landing you'll get a new sin number. Your current one should be starting with a 9,
that means it's a temporary sin, after the landing you'll get an 'official' sin number issues by service canada.
Go to the nearest service canada office, bring your passport and CoPR and they'll update it for you.

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Bhanavig said:
Also, apply for new helath card...
I dont think it is necessary, once the health card expires, he can get it renewed with the PR status, the health benefits remains the same irrespective of WP / PR (as long as the WP is valid more than 6 months and you intend to stay more than 6 months)