Nov 23, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
av
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
done. 7.5 overall
if you can get Ghana cedis, its cheaper.

Toluwanile

Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
23 Feb 2010
File Transfer...
20 March 2010
Med's Request
21 Mar 2012
Med's Done....
26 April 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 July 2012
LANDED..........
sept 2012
RN said:
Hello,

I will first introduce myself. I migrated to Canada in 1997 to join my mother who was a permanent resident of Canada. I am currently a PhD Nursing student at a prestigious university in Canada. I have my masters and bachelors in Canada. My research is on internationally educated nurses. I am a interprofessional educator (e.g. I teach nurses, doctors, dietitians, pharmacist and other health professional). My husband joined me in Canada in november 2010. He is a doctor from Nigeria.

@RN
My dear sister and professional colleague, let me use this time to say my official "welcome" to the forum.I was forced to open back pages to read your initial post by forum members' responses to your posts. My joy and excitement knew no bounds when i read your introduction and discovered you are actually an 'RN'. It's so good to have an RN who is living in canada and very knowledgable too.
Since you said your research is on internationally educated nurses, do you have a program\an agency that assist international RNs to migrate to, integrate and probably get job placement assistance in Canada?
Do you have advice on cities that are best for nurses to land in terms of easy registration and survival jobs? Which one is better at the initial time, the surbubs or the cities?
I may need to PM you becos i have a whole lot of questions to ask about licensure and all and i don't want to bore others with nurse talks. Thank you.
Tolu.
Tolu

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Unfortunately, I do not know an agency that helps internationally educated nurses immigrate to Canada. I know there are agencies that have done that in the past (mainly recruiting from the Philippines) but I dont know where or who this agencies are.

In terms of integration, there are a couple of thing. First you should begin the process of registration before you come to Canada (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT). Submit your documents to the College of Nurses of Ontario or other provincial regulatory body and follow the RN thread on this forum as it may help. You want everything to be done (except the exam) before you come to Canada. If you want an orientation to health professions in Canada. There is an online course offered by the Healthforce Ontario Access Centre. It is around 200 bucks. You can also take the CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurse courses to prepare for the exam.

I am not sure if one province is better than another. But rumor has it that the process may be easier in alberta. I cannot in any way confirm this.

Your focus should be more on becoming registered at this point than getting a nursing job. After you have become registered to practice, you will be able to work. The only thing is that you may not have a choice. I mean, you will be able to work part time or casual for different employment agencies (working a total of 40 hours a week) as a nurse or practical nurse, but you may face challenges getting a full time job at a hospital.

In terms of getting survival jobs, I am not sure but I think the easiest will be Toronto or a major area where you can work as a health care aide

Hope this helps.

ify

Jan 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
mailed 24/01/11
AOR Received.
02/03/2011
File Transfer...
23/03/2011
Med's Done....
06/12/2010
Interview........
04/04/2011
Hello everyone,
I must say that this is a very informative thread. @RN, you sure have a lot of info. to offer. I feel very proud to be a Nigerian. I just want to add my experience regarding worrying about your accent,from RN's post. I sure used to worry about that, until I started working at my current job. My colleague is Russian and I must say the first few weeks was really hard for me trying to understand what he was saying during our one on one training sessions as well as his presentations to the whole team. But one thing i noticed was that the guy talked with so much confidence, and i'd look around the room, and everyone will be hanging on his words. The questions one would ask is Y, the guy is a genius, the best SAP consultant I have ever worked with. I must say that that really made me worry more about the quality and content of my work and not the way i sound. I have been on the job for about 6months now, and i understand everything he says. I see it as everyone has an accent, even the Canadians have their own accent, its just different from our naija accent. What we should worry about is to deliver at work, be an asset to your company, and your accent will be the last thing they worry about.
I am also happy that other Nationals read our Naija forums, this will show them that our country is not all about fraud et al. This can be the part we play in rebranding Nigeria.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Great to note that this thread finally moved as it should..thanks to RN for injecting life into it. Hopefully, people will spend more time here as it is almost a given that all applicants will get their visas. We have always discussed that the most important part of the entire process is the integration..wished I could find time to write like RN but women are such a big blessing.

A few interesting points to comment on..quite laughable to note the spanking of under 2 and over 12! Do people really do that? I smack sometimes (rarely though) but I use withdrawal of privileges most of the time..it does work. I don't know what will happen if you spank in the open, like in your vehicle; the jail here wont be as bad as those at home but I am not interested in finding out.
The accent is some pretty bad issue for a good number of people (not only Nigerians), and it can be a big barrier to success depending on your area of business. It is surmountable just like all challenges, RN's tips are spot on.

I am sure we have discussed networking at some point but I like RN's emphasis on doing it also outside of Nigerian community..reason for me is simple..I already have my Nigerian people on my side and would rather focus my energy on the "shons and daughters of the soil". How do you get to know where the big opportunities are if not from the movers and shakers of the community? Volunteer Canada (http://volunteer.ca/home) has a database of volunteer centers with volunteer opportunities for those interested.

FWIW, GTbank ATM card works here but the exchange rate may not be so good and you pay N1,000 ATM fee when you use it at the ATM.

I used international drivers' license when I got here, it was accepted by the car rental folks. Maybe I got lucky or the guy didn't know the difference.

The principles of success are constant and universal; I am of the opinion that the possibility of success here is big due to the available resources but also challenging due to the competition and saturation of the market. This is the reason we must continue to aspire and work hard while praying to God to bless our efforts.

I met with Seglad and Oloye yesterday, it was a fun encounter meeting with these fine gentlemen..we look forward to future meetings with more people of the new generation.

Tinu, big ups for the thread..aren't women just so wonderful!

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Ify,

Yes, I agree with you, the need for more confidence in the work that is done. I think this need also depends on the industry one is working in, some industries place more emphasis on communication than others.

Also, I think there is much that needs to be done on the reputation of Nigerias, not just in Canada but all over the world. Its really sad sometimes but you wonder what perpetuates the cycle. Mainly the individual characters of each and every member of Nigeria, including issues of greed. Not just do Nigerians hurt people from other countries but we also hurt ourself very bad. For instance, some people have argued for tripple jeopardy for being a black woman, including being a woman, being black and also being an immigrant. For Nigerians, especially those with clean slate, I think its much more than a tripple jeopardy, including the experience of being a Nigerian and also having to proclaim your innocence, compounded by experience of protecting oneself from being scammed by people inside ones community.

This issues and experiences often over shaddows the great brilliance and talent of Nigerians. The question then remains, how do we bring ourself from this crisis. Everyone I believe has a role to play. Nigerians are the most brilliant individuals I know but this will be much visible, if we can create some level of visibility to the numerous Nigerians making great contributions world wide and if there is ever a way to drastically reduce scams. I think it this will require great leadership, commitment by each and every individual Nigerian and time.

I think my husband's mentors words may also help. Do good for someone, without expecting anything in return and when the person ask you how they can pay it back, tell them to pass it on, the good, either to a Nigerian or non Nigerian.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Tito,

I like the use of withdrawal of priviledges. This works in Canada (e.g. time out, you dont play that video game tonight etc). I must comment, I was raised in Nigeria and my mother never spanked me. Most Nigerians find this a great lot of surprise. I did not turn bad (at least I dont think so).

As Tito said, you will definately not be able to spank in public, unless you want to be in the not so nice a place (e.g. jail). So, you will need to develop strategies on how to take care or discipline children in public.

I agree with Tito, networking outside the community is very important. It may not be as important if your business is within the community (e.g. you plan to sell Nigerian cloths and food). Since most people are not in this category, outside network is very important. Secondly, there is soo far you can go by just networking within the community.

As Tito said, it is important to work hard and it is important to work smart. By working smart, I mean doing all with much honesty and commitment to excellence but also maximizing the use of resources which are available in Canada.

Biborno

Apr 3, 2011
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0631 (MI 2)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
20-08-2014
Dear Friend,
I applied to CIC on 26 November 2010 (application received), NOC: 0631 from London (visa office).
But unfortunately I haven't received any acknowledgement yet. Can you please give me
any idea regarding CIC reply that why it taking long time or I have to wait more time.
Thanks
Biborno

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
RN,Tito and lfy,you guys are the bomb.Big ups and keep it up.Networking can not be over emphasized,what we are doing on this thread is netwrkg and thus far it has worth it while and it will continue to be by God's grace.We are creating a new face for naija.lg

ify

Jan 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
mailed 24/01/11
AOR Received.
02/03/2011
File Transfer...
23/03/2011
Med's Done....
06/12/2010
Interview........
04/04/2011
@ IGB. thanks, and amen to that. Let me just add that I have a 5yr old(she says she is 5 and three quaters) and by all standards, I must say that I am really proud of her cos she is well behaved both in and outside the house. I try my best to teach her how to be the best she can be at home, and when we are outside its oju ton soro (I talk to her with my eyez when she tries to act up) and she understands and also responds by rearranging herself. Another thing to note is the neighbourhood you live in, Its a really big deal because, kids tend to go with the flow around them. I have lived in various parts of the GTA and the only place I will advise a family with kids to stay away from is an area in Toronto called Jane and Finch.
Regarding job opportunities, Canada is a huuge place with lots of opportunities. I'd say keep an open mind as to where you want to settle. I know that most people might want to settle in the GTA, but I see Toronto jobwise as survival of the fittest, too many people running after limited jobs, when there are lots of other and sometimes better opportunities in other cities.
Another issue might be childcare, have it in mind that it can be pretty expensive, we are talking from $0 (if your income is from $0-$20,000/yr, u can get subsidy from the govt.) to $160 a week (from 60k/yr, no subsidy). Some people save themselves the hassle of paying $160/week to the day care and hire a nanny (about 1k/month) who will be home full time with the kids.
Just a little tip, I usually buy my daughter's clothes b4 the season, by doing that I save a lot of money, and get to buy what I really like. E.g I shop for 2011/2012 winter between Jan.-March 2011, those seemingly overprized good winter jackets/snow pants that cost about $150, I buy for $40 (can you beat that).

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Ify,Tito & RN - Great job!! Please keep it up.

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Biborno said:
Dear Friend,
I applied to CIC on 26 November 2010 (application received), NOC: 0631 from London (visa office).
But unfortunately I haven't received any acknowledgement yet. Can you please give me
any idea regarding CIC reply that why it taking long time or I have to wait more time.
Thanks
Biborno
There is nothing seriously you can do at this time than to check basic factors that may be responsible for this.
for example. did you get an alert from your courier about the delivery?
Try check with forum members who submitted their app. around same time as yours?
call the care center number.

All the best.

Put the same question in the other thread "NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK" you will get more response. This very thread deals with something else.

Thanks

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RN said:
Thanks Tito
dear RN

it may seem to be funny issue but my curiosity grows .
can i carry a baby of 2 in a baby carrier at the back or on the front chest in the public? can it be a crime or act against the laws in Canada? in my country, it is common practice and i love it. baby carrier is like a bag and the baby sits in it.please comment on this, though its funny!
thanks again .
imu

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Not a funny question but a good question. No, a toddler cannot sit in the front seat of a car. Generally, its around the age of 12 (or children around the size of this age) that can sit in the front sit of a car.

You need an approved car seat to use and it doesnt seem what you are saying is approved. You also cannot carry a baby in your arms, either in front or at the back of a car.

Look here for more details

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.shtml

Hope this helps.