+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

GOOM

Nov 6, 2015
Liss said:
Congratulations on your landing, Goom. So happy for you and your family.

Please what lodging did you arrange for your landing? Did you get picked up from the airport?
We had a friend pick us up. We have been checking out apartments all day.

Liss

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Doc's Request.
02-09-2015
Nomination.....
09-01-2015
AOR Received.
09-01-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
09-01-2015
Med's Request
21-09-2015
Med's Done....
29-09-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Preferred said:
LISSSSSSS
My darling Madam Preferred,

How Una dey? Eku ijo 3. Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year to you & yours.

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Telephone interview on 25/02/2016
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
GOOM said:
All glory to God, we landed yesterday at YYZ. There was a long queue at Immigration, but everything went smoothly. We got our SIN , bags were not checked neither where we asked for POF. It snowed all the way to our lodging.
congrats on your safe landing

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
GOOM said:
Thank you sir
You're most welcome. Do let me know if you need any information.

dguru

Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
12-02-2015
Med's Request
17-08-2015
Med's Done....
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
08-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 (1st Landing)
Omo Naija said:
Veeeery interesting Analysis Chosen.... You have spoken very well and wise too...

You are the kind of person i'll like to make my friend !

Gentleiphy..... I have sent you a PM with my phone number.... we need to talk pros and cons and hopefully you will be able to make up your mind.....

But a rule of thumb to you and everyone who is yet to land "ALWAYS CHOOSE TO LAND WHERE YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR/AND FAMILY"... You will save so much time and money and your settling process will be shorter and hassle free.

All the best guys... I remain at your service !
Omo Naija,
I tried sending a PM to you but it is not going through. Please send me a PM with your contact for some few personal discussions

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Happy new year to you all. Please does anyone know a good barber in Calgary? I need one that can handle our type of hair.

Thanks.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
Missque said:
Dear Pipis husband,

I would have sent you a direct message but I don't know how to operate this site. Pls can you send me your email address I would like to ask you some questions.
Hi, I got your private message but couldn't reply as the system says your inbox is full. Perhaps you could work on that and get back to me with your cell phone number so I could contact you. Cheers and welcome again.

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
Happy new year all, my apologies for disappearing for all this while...

It has actually been for the better as God has really been good to me in all dimensions.

I am still in Regina - Saskatchewan, so anyone that needs general advice on anything Saskatchewan, don't hesitate to PM me (I'll try to respond within 24 hours).

Have a great week all and Remain blessed.

MAKY

Sep 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
Nomination.....
09-03-2010
AOR Received.
11-11-2010
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
11-11-2011
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
12-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2012
LANDED..........
11-11-2012
Hello all,
Please have anyone landed with yams and it was not thrown away by canada immigration? Also do they allow knor maggi?Any info will help.Thank you all in advance

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
MAKY said:
Hello all,
Please have anyone landed with yams and it was not thrown away by canada immigration? Also do they allow knor maggi?Any info will help.Thank you all in advance
Knorr maggi is okay but Yams, i doubt it cos of the probability of termites hidden in the dust from the Yam(Though both Yams and Knorr maggi can be purchased in easily in Canada)

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
Omo Naija said:
Knorr maggi is okay but Yams, i doubt it cos of the probability of termites hidden in the dust from the Yam(Though both Yams and Knorr maggi can be purchased in easily in Canada)
Quite right. Knorr classic or maggi classic is fine however, they have been known to seize any brand that comes with animal flavors. Goat, chicken or crayfish flavor are sometimes seized. You might want to scatter the packets across all your baggages. All the best.

chuka2003

Sep 28, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
12-09-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2014
LANDED..........
10-12-2014
Hi guys... been away for almost a year now.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record just in case someone has touched on this topic before; but I doubt if the knowledge would harm anyone.

A good friend of mine planning on landing in Canada asked for my honest opinion of how it has been for us since we landed just over a year ago. I can honestly understand where this question is coming from. Plucking your family and life style from the relative secure known of living in Lagos and shipping off to the great unknown of Canada can be quite daunting. What makes it worse is that no one seems to give an honest account of what really goes on. You tend to get responses like "it's ok" or "God has been faithful". Personally, such responses frighten the hell out of me. Thank God for threads and forums like this.

I have a friend of mine who just moved with his family from 9ja to Calgary here, back in September 2015. My guy came to Canada with no illusions; he landed alone (his family came 2 weeks after him). He stayed at my place for 2-3 days, rented a decent budget home close to downtown (I will talk about budget later), moved in and got a job at Walmart a week later (his reasoning - it doesn't make sense to spend his savings in Naira on dollarized items, he needed to earn dollars). Just before his family landed, he got certified as a security personnel (Security guys earn fair amount with relative little input as compared to a Walmart job... lol and if you are lucky to be on night shift, you have enough time to read for your exams). All these while he searches for a job in line with his previous work experience. Did I forget to tell you that my guy is an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in the Nigeria's financial sector. The man has worked for the biggest banking brands in Nigeria.

Yesterday, he joked about a conversation he had with a Canadian woman who he happened to have had dealings in Nigeria. The Canadian lady is conversant with Nigeria having trained IT professionals in Lagos on numerous occasions. The lady told him to be open minded in his search for a job; take any job; anywhere in Canada; that he should leave his family and go if necessary. But he should bear in mind that he would most likely be sacked before 3 months. He shouldn't take it personal; that most Nigerians struggle because of the difference in work cultures (I'd talk about the Canadian work culture, also later). We all laughed because he got sacked from Walmart exactly 3 months into the job. He currently works with his security licence and is studying for his professional exams. The beauty of this story is that my guy now has Canadian work experience - which so invaluable over here.

Most immigrants here, whether they tell you or not, worked in "transition" jobs for about 6 months to 1 year before getting that job similar to what they were doing back home. On the average, it takes between 2-3 years to get back to the job status at which you were before you landed in Canada. Once you get there, there's no turning back. It's really bliss from there on. Personally, I think the 2-3 years is worth it anytime, any day. There are very few societies that give you the opportunities, peace of mind and security.. I am yet to meet a Permanent Resident who regrets being in Canada.

If you are thinking of coming to Canada, please come with a similar mindset to that of my good friend; else you will be quite disappointed. Those dream jobs are not lined on the street on Canada. Yes, I know a couple of guys that got great jobs within weeks of landing - I tell conveniently tell you that those are the exception.

Plan. I can't overemphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan.

Plan for employment upgrading programmes, certifications et al;

Plan for your drivers license; plan to buy a car. This is a must; don't even think you can do without it. Luckily, there are auctions around where you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD. I'm talking about 2002 to 2006 models. Please just buy it even if the intention is to use it till you settle down. My advise is to go for Japanese, Toyota or Honda; so you send home to 9ja after you have finished with it (or bought that range rover as a replacement) and make your money back :p :p :p. Another friend of mind was lucky to buy a 2008 Toyota Sienna - full options - for less than $5,000. Again, these are the exceptions. You can also shop for cars on Kijiji.com

Talking about kijiji; you can practically get your furniture free on kijiji. You just have to look hard. My advise again based on experience; don't start acquiring too much junk before you move to your own house (yeah, owning your house is possible with only 6 months into your job). Moving can be stressful.

Plan your budget.

sppeeddoo

Jan 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Request
17-08-2015
Med's Done....
25-08-2015
Passport Req..
11-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2016
LANDED..........
25-05-2016
Pipis Husband said:
Hi, I sent you a PM. Check your email.
Hi bro,

please send to my PM too, i mean the landing stories.

gracias

Jmoney

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
chuka2003 said:
Hi guys... been away for almost a year now.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record just in case someone has touched on this topic before; but I doubt if the knowledge would harm anyone.

A good friend of mine planning on landing in Canada asked for my honest opinion of how it has been for us since we landed just over a year ago. I can honestly understand where this question is coming from. Plucking your family and life style from the relative secure known of living in Lagos and shipping off to the great unknown of Canada can be quite daunting. What makes it worse is that no one seems to give an honest account of what really goes on. You tend to get responses like "it's ok" or "God has been faithful". Personally, such responses frighten the hell out of me. Thank God for threads and forums like this.

I have a friend of mine who just moved with his family from 9ja to Calgary here, back in September 2015. My guy came to Canada with no illusions; he landed alone (his family came 2 weeks after him). He stayed at my place for 2-3 days, rented a decent budget home close to downtown (I will talk about budget later), moved in and got a job at Walmart a week later (his reasoning - it doesn't make sense to spend his savings in Naira on dollarized items, he needed to earn dollars). Just before his family landed, he got certified as a security personnel (Security guys earn fair amount with relative little input as compared to a Walmart job... lol and if you are lucky to be on night shift, you have enough time to read for your exams). All these while he searches for a job in line with his previous work experience. Did I forget to tell you that my guy is an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in the Nigeria's financial sector. The man has worked for the biggest banking brands in Nigeria.

Yesterday, he joked about a conversation he had with a Canadian woman who he happened to have had dealings in Nigeria. The Canadian lady is conversant with Nigeria having trained IT professionals in Lagos on numerous occasions. The lady told him to be open minded in his search for a job; take any job; anywhere in Canada; that he should leave his family and go if necessary. But he should bear in mind that he would most likely be sacked before 3 months. He shouldn't take it personal; that most Nigerians struggle because of the difference in work cultures (I'd talk about the Canadian work culture, also later). We all laughed because he got sacked from Walmart exactly 3 months into the job. He currently works with his security licence and is studying for his professional exams. The beauty of this story is that my guy now has Canadian work experience - which so invaluable over here.

Most immigrants here, whether they tell you or not, worked in "transition" jobs for about 6 months to 1 year before getting that job similar to what they were doing back home. On the average, it takes between 2-3 years to get back to the job status at which you were before you landed in Canada. Once you get there, there's no turning back. It's really bliss from there on. Personally, I think the 2-3 years is worth it anytime, any day. There are very few societies that give you the opportunities, peace of mind and security.. I am yet to meet a Permanent Resident who regrets being in Canada.

If you are thinking of coming to Canada, please come with a similar mindset to that of my good friend; else you will be quite disappointed. Those dream jobs are not lined on the street on Canada. Yes, I know a couple of guys that got great jobs within weeks of landing - I tell conveniently tell you that those are the exception.

Plan. I can't overemphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan.

Plan for employment upgrading programmes, certifications et al;

Plan for your drivers license; plan to buy a car. This is a must; don't even think you can do without it. Luckily, there are auctions around where you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD. I'm talking about 2002 to 2006 models. Please just buy it even if the intention is to use it till you settle down. My advise is to go for Japanese, Toyota or Honda; so you send home to 9ja after you have finished with it (or bought that range rover as a replacement) and make your money back :p :p :p. Another friend of mind was lucky to buy a 2008 Toyota Sienna - full options - for less than $5,000. Again, these are the exceptions. You can also shop for cars on Kijiji.com

Talking about kijiji; you can practically get your furniture free on kijiji. You just have to look hard. My advise again based on experience; don't start acquiring too much junk before you move to your own house (yeah, owning your house is possible with only 6 months into your job). Moving can be stressful.

Plan your budget.
Thanks for this story...that is what most people really need to know, the reality of things. I guess we all know it wont be easy though i would understand most people won't say much until they are fully settled. Thanks all the same.