Feb. 2014
Passport Req..
Aug. 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep. 2014
LANDED..........
Oct 2014
HisGrace said:
Merry Christmas all and a Prosperous New Year ahead!!!

Please i want to find out if the temporary drivers license is usable in Canada and if its advisable (or advantageous) to get the current drivers license fro FRSC before coming to Canada. We are about to renew our licenses.

Thank you and regards
If u can afford to, I'll advise u to get the FRSC driver's license. Anything short of that would never be the best option. I am not even sure if the so called "temporary" license can offer u the eligibility to drive for 3 months. What they recognize as Nigeria's license is that FRSC license. If u do not have that license before coming to Canada, u may not be eligible to drive for a minimum of 9 months. And u know what? life is hellish here without a car or let me just say without a driver's license.

Good luck!

zeemaple

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2014
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
Hello all. Kudos to contributors here, great info. I'll like to know more about owning a car in Canada, what it entails, especially cost, insurance payments, chances of buying though dealership. Any other extra payments?
I'll like to own a cheap used Japanese car to start with, max $3-4k, preferably a coupe.

edetafo65

Jul 10, 2012
Compliment of the season to all in the house. Am happy to be here. I need advice as regards where to settle in Calgary that will be good for kids and a wife that read English language as a first degree from 9ja. Any other info per settling down will also be welcome. Hopefully by God grace to land in July next year in Calgary cos our PP has been send for the PR visa.

Rgeards.

Sambisa Valley

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
Compliment of the season to all. May our 2015 be better than 2014.

Please landed seniors, are online courses recognised in Canada?

Pending proper licensing and certification, are there short courses a. Finance graduate can take within 4-6weeks of landing to strengthen employment.

God bless as you reply

lilbro

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Nomination.....
7-11-2013
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-03-2014
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2014
LANDED..........
18-12-2014
zeemaple said:
Hello all. Kudos to contributors here, great info. I'll like to know more about owning a car in Canada, what it entails, especially cost, insurance payments, chances of buying though dealership. Any other extra payments?
I'll like to own a cheap used Japanese car to start with, max $3-4k, preferably a coupe.
U will get a good safetied car for that budget from an auto auction. insurance may cost u minimum of $1600 annually and u may be expected to pay bi monthly as the case maybe. as for dealership i havent been to one.

ty

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Happy new year to everyone, 2015 shall be our year of extravagant harvest (Amen). Pls I want to know if one needs a transit visa when transiting through the uk for less than 48 hours/if one's luggage will be checked by immigration, I read on their site that one needs a visa but concession can be given? Response needed urgently, pls

omoba7

Apr 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-13
zeemaple said:
Everything depends on your pocket.

1. Owning a car is all about how much you can afford, the common Japanese and Korean cars like toyota, honda, hyundai, kia, mazda e.t.c are a bit costly than the average american car and are very good on gas.
2. You can get cars on kijiji, auction, dealership, private seller e.t.c
3. Cost are determined by mileage, condition, year, model(trim level), brand, neatness e.t.c just like in Nigeria or anywhere in the world.
4. Insurance could be third party or premium. The amount you pay sometimes depends on your address(post code), province e.t.c Premium are usually costly. Insurance are usually paid monthly too.
5. With dealership, be prepared to pay taxes, dealer fees, cost of borrowing e.t.c
If you want a finance through dealership, they would need your credit history, down payment, paystubs e.t.c and of course payment bi-weekly or semi-monthly for a couple of years.

For $3-4k, the likely Japanese car would have high mileage or low mileage 1990's year(rare).

I also noticed cars are cheaper in eastern Canada.

But most important is to pass your driving test ;)

zeemaple

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2014
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
Thank you Omoba7 and Lilbro for the detailed explanation.

Dotsngr

Nov 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omoba7 said:
Everything depends on your pocket.

1. Owning a car is all about how much you can afford, the common Japanese and Korean cars like toyota, honda, hyundai, kia, mazda e.t.c are a bit costly than the average american car and are very good on gas.
2. You can get cars on kijiji, auction, dealership, private seller e.t.c
3. Cost are determined by mileage, condition, year, model(trim level), brand, neatness e.t.c just like in Nigeria or anywhere in the world.
4. Insurance could be third party or premium. The amount you pay sometimes depends on your address(post code), province e.t.c Premium are usually costly. Insurance are usually paid monthly too.
5. With dealership, be prepared to pay taxes, dealer fees, cost of borrowing e.t.c
If you want a finance through dealership, they would need your credit history, down payment, paystubs e.t.c and of course payment bi-weekly or semi-monthly for a couple of years.

For $3-4k, the likely Japanese car would have high mileage or low mileage 1990's year(rare).

I also noticed cars are cheaper in eastern Canada.

But most important is to pass your driving test ;)
Thank you very much. It was quite detailed. DT means we need to budget between 4 to 6k for car in order to accommodate insurance. One must plan very well and save very well here before relocating.

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
People is it possible for permanent resident card to be sent to one in Naija after he might have landed Canada and returns immediately? I mean can one land,then finish the whole PR card processing and return after two weeks. Then, one of her relations sends the PR to her. Does it happen that way?

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Happy new year my wonderful people!

Gentel andrew,

I know that the pr card can be received on your behalf but to send outside canada?????

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Your temporary drivers license is valid provided its Original and not follow come ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NIGERIAN DL IS IS NOT TENABLE FOR DRIVING IN CANADA, UNLESS YOU ARE A VISITOR by which you will need to get an international DL to drive in canada

HisGrace said:
Merry Christmas all and a Prosperous New Year ahead!!!

Please i want to find out if the temporary drivers license is usable in Canada and if its advisable (or advantageous) to get the current drivers license fro FRSC before coming to Canada. We are about to renew our licenses.

Thank you and regards

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Depends on your career choice.......you may use google or alis

Sambisa Valley said:
Compliment of the season to all. May our 2015 be better than 2014.

Please landed seniors, are online courses recognised in Canada?

Pending proper licensing and certification, are there short courses a. Finance graduate can take within 4-6weeks of landing to strengthen employment.

God bless as you reply

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Settlement depends on your purse,job,school,proximity to down-town, accessibility to train,bus, safety etc but from $1200 per month up whether its basement or apartment for rent.

edetafo65 said:
Compliment of the season to all in the house. Am happy to be here. I need advice as regards where to settle in Calgary that will be good for kids and a wife that read English language as a first degree from 9ja. Any other info per settling down will also be welcome. Hopefully by God grace to land in July next year in Calgary cos our PP has been send for the PR visa.

Rgeards.

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
1) very high
2)no
3)yes

Boluwatife said:
Good day forumites, I am the principal application, my wife has a master in social work and also an hospital administrator. I am expecting my MR any moment from now. Dear seniors, I have the following questions:
1. What are her prospects? Either as a social worker or as an hospital administrator?
2. Can she get a job before we land?
3. Can anyone link her with any social worker who can mentor her.
Thank you.