+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

OSP

Sep 19, 2014
Omo Naija said:
Greetings Babakura and other landed & "unlanded" applicants...

With all sense of humility, i do not agree with some of babakura's comments below especially the part of "Suffering for a year" :eek:

I often tell Nigerians in the application process and those about to land to ensure they plan, plan and plan and you will not end up being among the grumbling few who land and expect a land flowing with Milk and honey.
There are so many things we can do from Nigeria while our applications are still in progress... research on relevant certifications and skill sets you can start and complete while still in Nigeria (cos education is reaaaaaally expensive in Canada). Please also consider learning some other skills like barbing, Hair dressing, Plumbing and Mechanics (especially how to change your car engine oil yourself) cos these skill sets can save your entire family lots of dollars.

If you aren't already on linkedin, please do so immediately and start by maintaining an active profile by connecting with Nigerians already in Canada (they will accept your invite request if you can take time to personalize it and tell them you are in the process of coming to Canada). Especially those in your expected line of work... chat with them and get them to share their stories with you... you will definitely learn a thing or two.
Also, Be sincere with yourself with your skills and strengths and check out Canadian job descriptions of jobs you intend to do in Canada and take special note of the skills and requirements desired in Canada to aid your preparations.

When you get the Visa, create a transition plan and don't be in a hurry to resign your current jobs with your spouse... I recommend the party with a higher income should consider coming back after landing (depending on your financial and family size situations).
Avoid landing and staying in "Gbo gbo ero" areas like Toronto (except you have close family there) cos you will see more envious Nigerians that will only drain your positive spirits.

Network, Network and Network....Ensure you visit the "Newcomers Centre" in your locality immediately you land as you will get lots of valuable information and free trainings with Job alerts.

Most importantly, run away from Negative people who ever they may be...as you might end up being like them and believing the system is working against you...

Finally, believe and talk to the unseen being that you know... Things will definitely work out...

For those coming to Saskatchewan region please PM me if you need more specific assistance (Calgarians if you haven't Buzzed "Jibaba" you are missing something !)

All the best guys.
thanks for the info. Really helpful

ritaliciously

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 MARCH-2014
AOR Received.
PER 23 APRIL-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
03-11-2014
Omo Naija said:
Greetings Babakura and other landed & "unlanded" applicants...

With all sense of humility, i do not agree with some of babakura's comments below especially the part of "Suffering for a year" :eek:

I often tell Nigerians in the application process and those about to land to ensure they plan, plan and plan and you will not end up being among the grumbling few who land and expect a land flowing with Milk and honey.
There are so many things we can do from Nigeria while our applications are still in progress... research on relevant certifications and skill sets you can start and complete while still in Nigeria (cos education is reaaaaaally expensive in Canada). Please also consider learning some other skills like barbing, Hair dressing, Plumbing and Mechanics (especially how to change your car engine oil yourself) cos these skill sets can save your entire family lots of dollars.

If you aren't already on linkedin, please do so immediately and start by maintaining an active profile by connecting with Nigerians already in Canada (they will accept your invite request if you can take time to personalize it and tell them you are in the process of coming to Canada). Especially those in your expected line of work... chat with them and get them to share their stories with you... you will definitely learn a thing or two.
Also, Be sincere with yourself with your skills and strengths and check out Canadian job descriptions of jobs you intend to do in Canada and take special note of the skills and requirements desired in Canada to aid your preparations.

When you get the Visa, create a transition plan and don't be in a hurry to resign your current jobs with your spouse... I recommend the party with a higher income should consider coming back after landing (depending on your financial and family size situations).
Avoid landing and staying in "Gbo gbo ero" areas like Toronto (except you have close family there) cos you will see more envious Nigerians that will only drain your positive spirits.

Network, Network and Network....Ensure you visit the "Newcomers Centre" in your locality immediately you land as you will get lots of valuable information and free trainings with Job alerts.

Most importantly, run away from Negative people who ever they may be...as you might end up being like them and believing the system is working against you...

Finally, believe and talk to the unseen being that you know... Things will definitely work out...

For those coming to Saskatchewan region please PM me if you need more specific assistance (Calgarians if you haven't Buzzed "Jibaba" you are missing something !)

All the best guys.
well said omo naija and babakura...God bless u guys!

Liss

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Doc's Request.
02-09-2015
Nomination.....
09-01-2015
AOR Received.
09-01-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
09-01-2015
Med's Request
21-09-2015
Med's Done....
29-09-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Jibaba said:
Hello Pipos

...it has been a long while. How una dey ... I was just mulling over an idea and i really need help, partners and encouragement

i have been here in Canada for almost a year and despite all the advices , reading over 1000 pages of the naija lets network forum and several interactions with landed seniors, juniors ,"where to starter" a.k.a learner , clueless, cluefull...old and young .. i still dont think i have enough clue as to a lot of things. i see people making mistakes, i hear inspirational stories, people making good strides,.. i see people at the point of despair , frustration .....but i really see opportunities , freedom to be who you want to be ....love , sharing.... i see both sides and i start to wonder ... can we get some kind of best practices together here ....I then notice we may have a common goal of making it in Canada , but our context are always different. e.g where we were coming from , our belief system , things we have learned over the years that we may have to unlearn .

So i am thinking of collecting
very good stories,
ideas ,
success stories,
goof stories
homilies, advices - good or bad,
one liners ( like my little son calling Canada a sleepcountry ..where things moves serenrenwerenren ...that is everything is in order and according to plan) ...,
one pagers,
80- pages ...bring it on ! .

The subject can range from
entering Canada to packing your load and leaving,
workplace experience , to settling kids in school,
churching or mosqueing with nigerians,
buying houses or cars , doing business or dealing with the RCMP ......
living through Winter to going to school .....managing 2 homes - nigeria and canada or long distance familying
and dealing with people back home.
Dont be shy from giving advise on marriage , divorce , raising family and maximizing potential benefits for immigrants - government grants etc.
and finally beating the system ..legally or ....somehow :p ...e.g paying lower rent , Cable subscription , vehicle insurances etc ... i think we all have stories

I will prefer you dont brag , i will prefer you write as much as you can write , i will prefer you dont worry about the grammar , i will prefer yuo can quote from your personal diary . i promise you to anonymize the stories and .. .
please you can also point me to website or url within this forum i can get the info.

why collection : i will like to get all these together , summarize where needed , do some analysis and come up with a read that is targeted for Nigerians.. on how to make the best of Canada ...
i realize cultures differs from Toronto to Vancouver via Cowtown and up north and round about .....i will take that into consideration

if you are interested , PM and tell me what you plan to do and i will follow up with you individually , electronically over the next few months.

Since this is a sleepCOuntry ..this will take a year to finish up and i will have the next 4 months collecting your input ...
feel free to forward this to your friends who arent member of this forum.

Common ..lets do it !
Senior Jibaba,

How far with this wonderful idea of yours. Hope it is still on course. Please let us have an update.

Thanks

TrustingGod

Star Member
Sep 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-10-2013
Med's Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
Passport Req..
19-07-2014
LANDED..........
19 N0v 2014
Landed Forumites,
Pls is it possible to land and stay for about 1 month,go bk to Naija with the family and return at a later time.Will this arrangement have an implication on our visa and importantly will one need special /specific doc t exit canada.
Thank you for yr contributions

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
TrustingGod said:
Landed Forumites,
Pls is it possible to land and stay for about 1 month,go bk to Naija with the family and return at a later time.Will this arrangement have an implication on our visa and importantly will one need special /specific doc t exit canada.
Thank you for yr contributions
Yes, But the days/months you spend outside will not be counted towards your renewal of PRC or citizenship application.

how to re-enter Canada
Option 1: Someone can receive your PRC on your behalf at the Canadian address that you specified while you were landing in Canada and send it to you outside Canada. Note that the card will not be mailed outside Canada officially.
Option 2: you will need to get a travel document from the Deputy High Commission in Lagos/Abuja or the Canadian embassy where you are when you want to travel back to Canada.
Option 3: If you have a US visa, you can simply fly into the US and enter the US through a land border in a private or rented vehicle (as no commercial carrier will carry you unless you have your PRC or travel document). You can then use you landing record or COPR to enter Canada

You can also use google for more info. This is one of the sites I found - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

wums

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2013
Nomination.....
March 27 2014
AOR Received.
September 16 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
June 22 2015
Med's Done....
June 30 2015
Passport Req..
July 15 2015
Hello House,
Please I will like to find out can someone who is pregnant say like 3_4months pregnant go for Medicals and will this have any effect. Is there anyone who had this experience? I will really appreciate your advise. Thanks

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
wums said:
Hello House,
Please I will like to find out can someone who is pregnant say like 3_4months pregnant go for Medicals and will this have any effect. Is there anyone who had this experience? I will really appreciate your advise. Thanks
Discuss with the doctor and he'll let you know what you can and what you can't do. Then you may need to contact the visa office

bensonams

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2013
9ja4dLord said:
Yes, But the days/months you spend outside will not be counted towards your renewal of PRC or citizenship application.

how to re-enter Canada
Option 1: Someone can receive your PRC on your behalf at the Canadian address that you specified while you were landing in Canada and send it to you outside Canada. Note that the card will not be mailed outside Canada officially.
Option 2: you will need to get a travel document from the Deputy High Commission in Lagos/Abuja or the Canadian embassy where you are when you want to travel back to Canada.
Option 3: If you have a US visa, you can simply fly into the US and enter the US through a land border in a private or rented vehicle (as no commercial carrier will carry you unless you have your PRC or travel document). You can then use you landing record or COPR to enter Canada

You can also use google for more info. This is one of the sites I found - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

wums

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2013
Nomination.....
March 27 2014
AOR Received.
September 16 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
June 22 2015
Med's Done....
June 30 2015
Passport Req..
July 15 2015
9ja4dLord said:
Discuss with the doctor and he'll let you know what you can and what you can't do. Then you may need to contact the visa office
Thanks so much for your response

bjenike

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Doc's Request.
1-04-2015
Nomination.....
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
12-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/09/2015
LANDED..........
05/02/2016
Very valuable thread keep it up please

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
bjenike said:
Very valuable thread keep it up please
You can also help to keep it alive by posting here at least once in a week. That will prevent the thread from being buried under other threads.

bensonams

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2013
Re: LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

« September 20, 2014, 02:06:26 am »

Quote from: Jibaba on November 14, 2013, 08:10:49 am

Hello Pipos

...it has been a long while. How una dey ... I was just mulling over an idea and i really need help, partners and encouragement

i have been here in Canada for almost a year and despite all the advices , reading over 1000 pages of the naija lets network forum and several interactions with landed seniors, juniors ,"where to starter" a.k.a learner , clueless, cluefull...old and young .. i still dont think i have enough clue as to a lot of things. i see people making mistakes, i hear inspirational stories, people making good strides,.. i see people at the point of despair , frustration .....but i really see opportunities , freedom to be who you want to be ....love , sharing.... i see both sides and i start to wonder ... can we get some kind of best practices together here ....I then notice we may have a common goal of making it in Canada , but our context are always different. e.g where we were coming from , our belief system , things we have learned over the years that we may have to unlearn .

So i am thinking of collecting
very good stories,
ideas ,
success stories,
goof stories
homilies, advices - good or bad,
one liners ( like my little son calling Canada a sleepcountry ..where things moves serenrenwerenren ...that is everything is in order and according to plan) ...,
one pagers,
80- pages ...bring it on ! .

The subject can range from
entering Canada to packing your load and leaving,
workplace experience , to settling kids in school,
churching or mosqueing with nigerians,
buying houses or cars , doing business or dealing with the RCMP ......
living through Winter to going to school .....managing 2 homes - nigeria and canada or long distance familying
and dealing with people back home.
Dont be shy from giving advise on marriage , divorce , raising family and maximizing potential benefits for immigrants - government grants etc.
and finally beating the system ..legally or ....somehow ...e.g paying lower rent , Cable subscription , vehicle insurances etc ... i think we all have stories

I will prefer you dont brag , i will prefer you write as much as you can write , i will prefer you dont worry about the grammar , i will prefer yuo can quote from your personal diary . i promise you to anonymize the stories and .. .
please you can also point me to website or url within this forum i can get the info.

why collection : i will like to get all these together , summarize where needed , do some analysis and come up with a read that is targeted for Nigerians.. on how to make the best of Canada ...
i realize cultures differs from Toronto to Vancouver via Cowtown and up north and round about .....i will take that into consideration

if you are interested , PM and tell me what you plan to do and i will follow up with you individually , electronically over the next few months.

Since this is a sleepCOuntry ..this will take a year to finish up and i will have the next 4 months collecting your input ...
feel free to forward this to your friends who arent member of this forum.

Common ..lets do it !

Great thinkers!

lilbro

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Nomination.....
7-11-2013
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-03-2014
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2014
LANDED..........
18-12-2014
My fellow landed naija applicant pls is it possible for one to join the police force in Canada with a PRV? Or any of their military service.