+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed in Canada

matart

Jul 23, 2009
Dear all
pls advise .. i just landed in Toronto and later on my relatives were waiting for me outside of the airport, and they took me to their home in Montreal Quebec. do u think that i can apply my SIN & OHIP from Quebec or it is mandatory to apply it only from Ontario? and if i get a Job offer in Montreal can i start my life their or i'm obliged to work in Ontario since i have applied as FSW???
thanks for your valued inputs

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not apply for OHIP in Quebec because OHIP is only in Ontario. If you are planning on living in Quebec, you really should have applied for Quebec skilled worker. Quebec skilled workers need special approval from Quebec. By applying as an FSW, you have bypassed their approval so they will probably not be too happy with that.

What address did you give to receive your PR card? As a PR, you are allowed to live and work anywhere in Canada but it looks bad if you move as soon as you land.

matart

Jul 23, 2009
Leon
i have a big family in QC and all of them are saying that it is better for me to stay beside them, and i couldn't apply through Quebec program since i'm not French talker. so do u think that if stay really there i'll put myself in troubles.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your intentions were all along to live in Quebec, you are already guilty of misrepresentation to immigration as when you applied as a skilled worker, you stated that you were not planning on living in Quebec. You have to see how this looks to immigration. You say you are not intending to live in Quebec and on the day you land in Canada, you go straight there and then you apply for a SIN and healthcare there. If anybody is checking up on this, to an IO, it would certainly look like you lied to them. Maybe nobody is checking up, I really don't know. It's your risk to take.

Whose address did you give to receive your PR card? Did you give your relatives address in Quebec and it was ok? If yes, then you can apply for a SIN there. If anybody ever asks, you can say that you decided to start your new live in Canada by visiting relatives and CIC knew about this if they approved sending your PR card to Quebec. If you end up staying longer than expected, big deal.

If you did not give an address to get your PR card or you gave an Ontario address, you should go apply for your SIN in Ontario and give an Ontario address or get a PO box there and give that as an address. Health care doesn't really matter since you will not get it until after 3 months so you don't have to apply for that now.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So go to ON, apply for your SIN there and give the same ON address. You will get your SIN right away, the SIN card in the mail in a couple of weeks. You can look for a job in Montreal but it might be easier if you speak French.

matart

Jul 23, 2009
so Leon u think that i can find a job in Montreal and stay there without any risk as long as i apply my SIN and Health Insurance in Ontario

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no idea if anybody is checking up on this at all. I am just saying it looks bad for you to move to Quebec the same day you landed when you stated on your immigration application that you were not planning on living there. The rest is up to you.

If it was me, I would apply for a SIN in ON and get it sent to the same address as the PR card. Like I said before, there is no point in applying for health care since you don't get it anyway until you've been there for 3 months. Besides, you can't get OHIP unless you are actually living in ON and you have to provide proof of that so how are you planning on proving that you live in ON when you don't?

R

rishabshanker

Leon said:
If your intentions were all along to live in Quebec, you are already guilty of misrepresentation to immigration as when you applied as a skilled worker, you stated that you were not planning on living in Quebec.
Hi Leon,
quick question. If I apply as FSW, does it automatically mean that I do not intend to stay and work in Quebec or do I have to explicitly state that I am not interested in living and working in Quebec? I have applied as FSW under NOC 0213, my current employer has an office in Montreal (though I dont know if they will give me an opportunity to work there) I am considering applying to the Montreal office as well, but in my app I have stated that I will be landing in Hamilton, Ontario since i have relatives there. Would this be an issue for the authorities? ...pls help

Cheers,
Rishab

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is taken from the CIC website, skilled worker category:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp said:
Please note: the Federal Skilled Worker Program is for people coming to any part of Canada except Quebec. The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.
This is from the skilled worker application guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf - page 4 said:
Do you intend to reside in Quebec?
Under the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration, Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements and selects foreign nationals who will adapt well to living in Quebec. If you intend to come to Canada as a Quebec-selected skilled worker, you must first contact the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC) at: http://www.micc.gouv.qc.ca/fr/index.asp
On the application, you put down a city where you intend to live. It doesn't matter where this city is as long as it's outside Quebec. One guy on this board was in the situation of having applied for FSW and in the meantime he had gotten a temporary work permit in Quebec and was living there on a work contract when his PR visa came through. He asked CIC and they said they did not have a problem with him staying in Quebec to finish the contract but he would have to land outside Quebec and give a non-Quebec address for his PR card to be mailed to.