+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed in Canada in 2003 only once, living on H1 since then in US

carsnjets

Feb 11, 2010
I have a question about my residency obligation in Canada.

Me and my wife we landed on PR in May 2003 in Canada and stayed just for couple of days. Lost PR cards but we do have our landing papers and SIN cards. Since then living and working in US on H1. It has been more than 6 years and we never visited Canada. What are our options now to return to Canada? Is it worth applying for travel documents based on H&C or should we file a new PR application? I am an MBA from Pakistan and have been working at high profile jobs in US and held positions of VP Advertising / Marketing etc. Please advise.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont you apply for US Green Card? Anyways, you should try to drive in through the road with your record of landing maybe they will let you in and then you will have to stay for two years before you renew your card.

harry807

Jun 3, 2009
I don't think ur Permanent Residency status exist any more. My understanding is u have to spend 2 years in every 5 year of period to maintain PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try applying for a travel document on H&C grounds but those applications can take a long time and if your H&C grounds for staying in the US were that you had a good job and were making a lot of money, that will not fly.

Like Alabaman says, there is a loophole that allows you, if you get into Canada without being challenged, to stay for 2 years and then apply for a new PR card based on that you meet the residency requirements again. If you are challenged at the border, they can tell you that they think you have lost your PR status and give you a limited time to prove that you meet the residency requirements. If you fail, they will cancel your PR.