+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrant vs Permanent Resident

Jun 29, 2022
After education in Germany, I received immigration to Canada in 1975, entered Canada with family but found a job with a German company which wanted me to work in Germany. So we went back after staying in Canada for about 2 1/2 months. Eventually we immigrated to and became citizens of the U.S. Now retired, we would like to settle in Canada. We still have the documents of immigration and social insurance cards from 1975. What do we need to do to fulfill this desire?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the OP `received immigration to Canada in 1975', that seems to mean that they became a naturalized citizen...maybe? If so, they can enter/re-enter Canada at anytime; no need for a PR Card at all.

If, on the other hand that means that the OP became a Permanent Resident in 1975...never mind. :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If the OP `received immigration to Canada in 1975', that seems to mean that they became a naturalized citizen...maybe? If so, they can enter/re-enter Canada at anytime; no need for a PR Card at all.

If, on the other hand that means that the OP became a Permanent Resident in 1975...never mind. :)
I don't believe Canada ever had an immigration programme that conferred citizenship upon becoming a resident ('landing'), or at least not since the 60s or thereabouts anyway.

(Probably British subjects were as good as citizens for a long time, and after all, Canada didn't even have citizenship defined in law until the 1940s ... anyway don't think any of those qualifications matter for someone who became a resident in 1975.)

Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
After education in Germany, I received immigration to Canada in 1975, entered Canada with family but found a job with a German company which wanted me to work in Germany. So we went back after staying in Canada for about 2 1/2 months. Eventually we immigrated to and became citizens of the U.S. Now retired, we would like to settle in Canada. We still have the documents of immigration and social insurance cards from 1975. What do we need to do to fulfill this desire?
Here is what you would need to do:

- Enter Canada without being reported at the border for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are reported, you will end up officially losing your PR status and will need to be satisfied with occasionally visiting Canada as a tourist.
- If you are not reported, live in Canada for two years straight and then apply for a new PR card once you have lived in Canada for two years. During this two year period you may find it difficult to do certain things, like get provincial health care coverage.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hopefully you get stopped and reported . Know this may not be a popular opinion, ( I don’t care )however why individuals who’ve made NO effort in working & paying taxes to Canada, have not lived in this country for close to 50 years now what to come and retire and take advantage of the social safety net , is disgusting at least ( If you want scenery , wilderness , cold , retire to Alaska )

Reactions: foodie69

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hopefully you get stopped and reported . Know this may not be a popular opinion, ( I don’t care )however why individuals who’ve made NO effort in working & paying taxes to Canada, have not lived in this country for close to 50 years now what to come and retire and take advantage of the social safety net , is disgusting at least ( If you want scenery , wilderness , cold , retire to Alaska )
Blame the Canadian system not the individual. If he’s a citizen or PR and is allowed to live in Canada, then who cares ? Trudeau doesn’t care about Canada why would this guy do?

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Blame the Canadian system not the individual. If he’s a citizen or PR and is allowed to live in Canada, then who cares ? Trudeau doesn’t care about Canada why would this guy do?
Tend to agree. While I disapprove of the intent, You can’t blame the OP for taking advantage of what the system allows to happen. He may get caught, but then again he may not, but the system is full of holes that allow those not in compliance to circumvent the system.