+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed four months ago - Experience so far

saggii666

May 19, 2017
Landing and settlement can be done separately. The weather in December is as harsh as in Feb / March. Land in October, return to your work and settle in April.
Thank You @ Steaky for your revert.
I was thinking to enter with my spouse, start post landing process, She returning to India & I staying back, get acquainted & hope to find a decent job & accommodation before she returning to Canada for good. Thats the plan, but your suggestion also make sense

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank You @ Steaky for your revert.
I was thinking to enter with my spouse, start post landing process, She returning to India & I staying back, get acquainted & hope to find a decent job & accommodation before she returning to Canada for good. Thats the plan, but your suggestion also make sense
If you're going to be living alone in Canada in the winters, try and figure out a way to make friends. It can be quite depressing in the winters if you're alone and new to it all. If your wife is with you, you'll have the psychological support that is very important when you're moving to someplace so different.

If you can make friends, or find a hobby that keeps you busy, you'll be much better off. I got bored for two months (Boston, not Canada, but similar weather), and then I went out and learned to snowboard. After that, I enjoyed the snow and the dark - I would snowboard three times a week after work, and get home nicely tired. Without something to do, you'll be sitting in the darkness from 3:30 PM onwards.

Reactions: Scorpman21

Merron

May 29, 2017
I believe it's better to discuss landing related queries in separate thread. This thread can be used for queries from settlement standpoint and job related queries.

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe it's better to discuss landing related queries in separate thread. This thread can be used for queries from settlement standpoint and job related queries.
4 Posts in total and moderating threads? Interesting.

Reactions: Jakev

NBAB_0702

May 16, 2017
4 Posts in total and moderating threads? Interesting.
Hi greengoo5,

Going thru your experience after landing in Canada has given us some hope, my husband is MBA Marketing and has a total of 2 years of experience in Corporate Sales and 2 years of experience as investment advisor- wealth management in a bank. He has enrolled for Level 1 CFA exam scheduled on 2nd December 2017.

If he clears his CFA level 1, he is planning to clear his Level 2 as well by June next year. Even if we land in Canada in March 2017, I would be the one searching for a Job while he prepares for his Level 2.

My Question now is, does he hold any chance of getting a decent Finance related job if he starts applying for jobs after his Level 1 or 2? Or is it better for him to complete his CFA and only then apply for Jobs in Canada?

Since you are in the same field, would you recommend any short term course for him to give him a headstart in finance?

Any kind of assistance from your end would be appreciated.

Thank you.

saggii666

May 19, 2017
If you're going to be living alone in Canada in the winters, try and figure out a way to make friends. It can be quite depressing in the winters if you're alone and new to it all. If your wife is with you, you'll have the psychological support that is very important when you're moving to someplace so different.

If you can make friends, or find a hobby that keeps you busy, you'll be much better off. I got bored for two months (Boston, not Canada, but similar weather), and then I went out and learned to snowboard. After that, I enjoyed the snow and the dark - I would snowboard three times a week after work, and get home nicely tired. Without something to do, you'll be sitting in the darkness from 3:30 PM onwards.
Thanks make sense...

shilpi

Nov 26, 2013
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
17-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-06-2017
Passport Req..
15-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
Landing and settlement can be done separately. The weather in December is as harsh as in Feb / March. Land in October, return to your work and settle in April.
But isn't it compulsory to collect the PR card? After that one can return and then re-enter in March to finally settle??? It is just a thought and question as well. People who have already settled, please give your thoughts. I got ITA in end of Feb 17, all docs/ medical/ PCC in mid April, however medical verification is yet to be started from CIC??

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But isn't it compulsory to collect the PR card? After that one can return and then re-enter in March to finally settle??? It is just a thought and question as well. People who have already settled, please give your thoughts. I got ITA in end of Feb 17, all docs/ medical/ PCC in mid April, however medical verification is yet to be started from CIC??
No, it's not compulsory to collect the PR card. Yes, they can return and re-enter in March to finally settle.

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi greengoo5,

Going thru your experience after landing in Canada has given us some hope, my husband is MBA Marketing and has a total of 2 years of experience in Corporate Sales and 2 years of experience as investment advisor- wealth management in a bank. He has enrolled for Level 1 CFA exam scheduled on 2nd December 2017.

If he clears his CFA level 1, he is planning to clear his Level 2 as well by June next year. Even if we land in Canada in March 2017, I would be the one searching for a Job while he prepares for his Level 2.

My Question now is, does he hold any chance of getting a decent Finance related job if he starts applying for jobs after his Level 1 or 2? Or is it better for him to complete his CFA and only then apply for Jobs in Canada?

Since you are in the same field, would you recommend any short term course for him to give him a headstart in finance?

Any kind of assistance from your end would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I'd say CSC and IFIC are really good courses that'll help him start in the banking industry.

leoboy15

Feb 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
hello everybody,

Can a person with a PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification and over 10 years of experience in Mechanical Project Management look forward to a decent start/job in Canada ? I understand that PMP certification is accepted across the globe.
If not, what would be your recommendations ? Say, take up some menial jobs initially, then keep trying your luck to get a job in your profession.
Also, how tough is it for a newly landed immigrant to get a "Menial Job"....???
AOR - April 2017, Medical exam passed -- June 2017.

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello everybody,

Can a person with a PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification and over 10 years of experience in Mechanical Project Management look forward to a decent start/job in Canada ? I understand that PMP certification is accepted across the globe.
If not, what would be your recommendations ? Say, take up some menial jobs initially, then keep trying your luck to get a job in your profession.
Also, how tough is it for a newly landed immigrant to get a "Menial Job"....???
AOR - April 2017, Medical exam passed -- June 2017.
You should be able to get a project management job with 10 years of experience and a PMP. Don't underestimate yourself, you might even be able to get a job better than one in your home country. It takes time though. You should be prepared for that.

Menial jobs are easy. Just need to look in the right places.

leoboy15

Feb 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
You should be able to get a project management job with 10 years of experience and a PMP. Don't underestimate yourself, you might even be able to get a job better than one in your home country. It takes time though. You should be prepared for that.

Menial jobs are easy. Just need to look in the right places.
Thank you so much... Let's hope for the best.... Will remain optimistic...!!!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hey hi.. are full time jobs generally of permanent nature in Canada? are layoffs too common ? Like in US it happens every now and then in corporate sector.

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey hi.. are full time jobs generally of permanent nature in Canada? are layoffs too common ? Like in US it happens every now and then in corporate sector.
In Canada it's the opposite. It's usually not easy to get into a job. Layoffs are rare.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
In Canada it's the opposite. It's usually not easy to get into a job. Layoffs are rare.
Thanks.. is career growth good there? In US, merit is top priority over anything. Like talent is adequately rewarded both monetary wise and promotion wise.. You could find many Indians in IT departments of many banks, and other captives holding top spots.. Like unit head, SVP etc.

Is it the same in Canada? I have seen people telling that immigrants cannot climb beyond a point in corporate ladder there, and only natives hold them. How true is that?