Landed four months ago - Experience so far

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi grengoo5!

Thank you for valuable information. Could you advise please, where did you find good recruiters or staff agencies? I've never used them in my country, so I feel a bit confused.

Recruitment and staffing agencies are everywhere. It's actually a very good business in Canada. One of the examples:
https://www.masongroup.ca/

njay91

Star Member
Aug 29, 2017
Kochi
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-01-2018
IELTS Request
19-08-2017
@greengoo5 Hi,First of all Thankyou for sharing your inspirational story.
Do you know anyone working in the regulated profession? I am a Civil Engineer and after doing a lot of research I came to understand that its really hard to find an engg job in Canada.
https://www.quora.com/I-am-a-new-resident-of-Canada-and-I-have-been-trying-very-hard-to-get-an-internship-in-my-profession-structural-engineer-I-have-even-offered-to-volunteer-unpaid-but-no-one-is-willing-to-even-give-me-a-chance-What-can-I-do

https://www.quora.com/Will-I-get-job-in-Canada

After reading these stories,I am in dilemma whether I should go ahead with the process?
Thanks in advance.

ahsen

Jan 25, 2016
@greengoo5, You have provided great information to forum members. I have master degree in fashion management and digital strategy certificate from Columbia Business school, NY and have 14 years of work experience in fashion, sports and lifestyle retail industry. I would like to know that (a)specialization or certificate courses offered by top US & Canadian universities thru Coursera or Edx does add value in Job selection (b) does Canadian employers or HR recognize specialization, certificate or micro master offered by reputed north american universities thru edx or Coursera (c) would you suggest cost effective institute to earn certificate. Thanks !!!

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Do you know anyone working in the regulated profession? I am a Civil Engineer and after doing a lot of research I came to understand that its really hard to find an engg job in Canada.
https://www.quora.com/I-am-a-new-resident-of-Canada-and-I-have-been-trying-very-hard-to-get-an-internship-in-my-profession-structural-engineer-I-have-even-offered-to-volunteer-unpaid-but-no-one-is-willing-to-even-give-me-a-chance-What-can-I-do

After reading these stories,I am in dilemma whether I should go ahead with the process?
Thanks in advance.
of course, engineering needs specific skills. they can't tell whether you have them or not. you need a license for it as well. you can take a low end job (also called survivor jobs in the meantime, it'll help you gain canadian experience which is needed) http://www.prepareforcanada.com/career-pathways/engineering/engineering-employment/engineering-requirements-to-work-as-an-engineer-in-canada/#.WdLCPWhL_IU
you need to do your research particularly for these types of jobs

Reactions: njay91

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks in advance.
Not going to sugarcoat it for you. Engineering jobs are tough for outsiders. But if you have the experience to back up your education, it becomes much easier. If you're planning on moving, I'd suggest taking up a 1 year masters program over here.

@greengoo5, You have provided great information to forum members. I have master degree in fashion management and digital strategy certificate from Columbia Business school, NY and have 14 years of work experience in fashion, sports and lifestyle retail industry. I would like to know that (a)specialization or certificate courses offered by top US & Canadian universities thru Coursera or Edx does add value in Job selection (b) does Canadian employers or HR recognize specialization, certificate or micro master offered by reputed north american universities thru edx or Coursera (c) would you suggest cost effective institute to earn certificate. Thanks !!!
Coursera or Edx look good on a resume but aren't deal breakers when it comes to interview calls. It's always better to do certifications which are applicable to your profession. It's the most cost effective way in the long run.

Reactions: njay91

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have been working in New York (or India but that is just a guess) you are in for a shock. Canada is definitely not a hub for fashion jobs.

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Hi,

We are planning to do a short-landing around Oct end and then need to come back to India for a few months. I have a few questions regarding landing formalities. Request experienced readers to share their experiences / knowledge gained.

1. For proof of funds, is it necessary to show all amount in CAD (in say traveller's cheques or Forex Card)? Or can I carry the bank statements of my India accounts of last 6 months?

2. What are the typical questions the immigration officer asks? I believe they are not comfortable with people doing short landing. Any Do's and Dont's will help.

3. We have an uncle in Canada whose address we will be giving for our mailing address of PR cards. Say the applicant name is ABC and uncle's name is XYZ. Can we give the mailing address as below?

Address:
ABC,
C/o XYZ,
XXXX,
XXXX
Canada

4. Is it safe to tell the immigration officer filling our PR card form to say that this mailing address of our PR cards belongs to our uncle?

5. In the list of items to follow, can we include items we may or may not finally end up bringing to Canada?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

We are planning to do a short-landing around Oct end and then need to come back to India for a few months. I have a few questions regarding landing formalities. Request experienced readers to share their experiences / knowledge gained.

1. For proof of funds, is it necessary to show all amount in CAD (in say traveller's cheques or Forex Card)? Or can I carry the bank statements of my India accounts of last 6 months?

No it doesn't all have to be in Canadian funds.

2. What are the typical questions the immigration officer asks? I believe they are not comfortable with people doing short landing. Any Do's and Dont's will help.

Soft Landing is very common and there is no negative connotation as long as you plan on returning and completing your residency requirement. All the hard questions have been answered in the applications so it will be quite quick and easy.

3. We have an uncle in Canada whose address we will be giving for our mailing address of PR cards. Say the applicant name is ABC and uncle's name is XYZ. Can we give the mailing address as below?

Address:
ABC,
C/o XYZ,
XXXX,
XXXX
Canada

I don't think they will ask whose address it is but I would omit the c/o your uncle's name. Just write it as your own address. Have it written on a piece of paper or your phone. Nobody can remember their new address and postal code immediately!

4. Is it safe to tell the immigration officer filling our PR card form to say that this mailing address of our PR cards belongs to our uncle?

Don't think they will ask but I would mention you are staying with them as I assume you are probably planning on doing during your short landing.

5. In the list of items to follow, can we include items we may or may not finally end up bringing to Canada?

Thanks.

Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi,

Address:
ABC,
C/o XYZ,
XXXX,
XXXX
Canada

Thanks.
1. You can carry bank statements + a letter from the bank confirming (a) you're the account holder (b) the balance, and if its in your local currency (c) the balance equivalent in CAD. Both the letter and statement should be certified by the bank.

2. Don't talk about the fact you're doing a short landing. Just answer the questions your asked. Volunteering too much info is never a wise thing. Typical questions to expect are those on your COPR.

3. Do not include the c/o. It MAY trigger more questions and if the IO is having a bad day, they may tell you to contact CIC after you settle.

4. If asked, emphasis on IF, its ok to mention that its a relative's address.

5. Yes, you may. Always safer to include something and not bring it than not to include it and realize you'd want to bring it with you. There are no penalties for not bringing what you included, but there is a penalty, called taxes, for bringing what you didn't include.

All the best

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
1. You can carry bank statements + a letter from the bank confirming (a) you're the account holder (b) the balance, and if its in your local currency (c) the balance equivalent in CAD. Both the letter and statement should be certified by the bank.

2. Don't talk about the fact you're doing a short landing. Just answer the questions your asked. Volunteering too much info is never a wise thing. Typical questions to expect are those on your COPR.

3. Do not include the c/o. It MAY trigger more questions and if the IO is having a bad day, they may tell you to contact CIC after you settle.

4. If asked, emphasis on IF, its ok to mention that its a relative's address.

5. Yes, you may. Always safer to include something and not bring it than not to include it and realize you'd want to bring it with you. There are no penalties for not bringing what you included, but there is a penalty, called taxes, for bringing what you didn't include.

All the best
Many thanks. Your answers are quite crisp and to-the-point. One more question: once our PR cards are received at the uncle's address in Canada, can he courier the same to India? People seem to have different views on this.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Many thanks. Your answers are quite crisp and to-the-point. One more question: once our PR cards are received at the uncle's address in Canada, can he courier the same to India? People seem to have different views on this.
Yes he can. However, I’ve read posts on the forum where PRs from India indicated its illegal to mail/courier travel documents such as passports and PR cards to the country. Apparently, the authorities in India seize them if detected. I’m not from India, so I can’t verify this. I suggest you create a thread seeking guidance from Indian nationals, preferably those that did courier their cards back to India.

All the best

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Yes he can. However, I’ve read posts on the forum where PRs from India indicated its illegal to mail/courier travel documents such as passports and PR cards to the country. Apparently, the authorities in India seize them if detected. I’m not from India, so I can’t verify this. I suggest you create a thread seeking guidance from Indian nationals, preferably those that did courier their cards back to India.

All the best
1. It is definitely illegal to mail passport in/out of India.

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's definitely illegal to mail passport. They're the property of the government and should only be held by the person whom they're issued to.

PR Card on the other hand is a completely different story.

Ashish Anand

Oct 8, 2017
Hi,

The post is informative especially for my wife, who has been a corporate secretary(CS) in India and now we are applying for PR with she as primary applicant. Can you guide what should she be doing to get a job in canada once we land there?

My most imprtant query is that we both are in mid 30's and i have had my own business for over 10 years in India. I just have normal degree from a fashion college in India. Due to certain reasons we have planned to move to canada. We have a 5 year old daughter. Everywhere i just read stories about jobs and career of only skilled people like my wife. Can anybody please put a light on what people like me can really do to make a living in Canada. My English is fluent and working hard to get a decent pay is not at all a problem for me. But what exactly will i do wanders me. I dont have slightest of clue. Doing any job like that of a cashier, real estate agent, bar tender, service executive etc is not a problem for me but only if takes me some where better off financially over few years.

Yes certainly i have a plan B of investing some money in a business there, but that is certainly after i understand the country and not necessary if i am able to get a decent job.