Feb 23, 2017
United States
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
09-27-2017
Passport Req..
10-25-2017
I would like to write about my experience as an EE, first to ask for advice but second to help others not fall into the same situation as myself.

I got PR approved and visa stamped on October 2017. My CoPR is valid until Sep 27, 2018. After securing a job in Canada, we decided to move on Sep 10, 2018 and landed at Toronto Pearson Airport. Unfortunately, the system went down on that date. The officer promised to enter our data within 2-3 days. After 3 days, I went to Service Canada to get the SIN but the system couldn't confirm my landing. I called the immigration office phone number and was told that they would send a message to the officer at the port of entry. A few days later, I called again and they said that mine was confirmed but my husband's was not. They sent another message.
On the 3rd week, an officer called me to ask about my information on the CoPR. It looked like they had no idea when we landed even though they kept another copy of the CoPR. I provided the information and the next day, I received another call that our status should be confirmed and we should be able to get the SIN.
I came back to Service Canada the next day and was told that the status was not confirmed! I called the immigration office phone number again, and they said that both of us were not confirmed. They advised me to go back to the port of entry to have it resolved.
I took 2 hour bus to the Toronto Airport on Oct 13. The agents tried to confirm my landing again but they couldn't because the valid date on the CoPR had passed (Sep 27). They scolded me for not returning to the airport before the valid date. This is unbelievable because it was not our fault for not entering the data on time, and nobody along the line told us to go back immediately by the valid date. Now they are blaming the victim!
They said they would send an email to someone and I would have to wait another 4 weeks and keep calling the immigration phone number to check! If nothing happens, I'll have to go back to the airport :| I am really in the limbo now because my job would start on the next Monday. To be careful, I already spared a month before working but after a month of waiting, I still have nothing lined up. I wouldn't be able to start my job and I was told not to go to the Radiology Conference in Chicago on November because my status was not confirmed. This is a very important conference of my career and everything has been paid for! They seem to not care anything even though it was their fault that is messing someone's life.

So here are my lessons:
1. Land long before your valid date.
2. Make sure your officer enters your data correctly. Go to ServiceCanada to get the SIN ASAP.
3. If the system goes down like my situation, go back to the port of entry the next day to make sure that it is entered.
4. Have somebody in Canada help you if you do soft-landing because you might get into similar problem.
5. Get some Canadian phone number so you can call the frustrating immigration phone number. You will get dropped many times but keep calling.

Has anyone got the same crazy situation as me? It looks like all the wrong stars lined up to screw my life :(
Any advice?

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
Thats sad.. start saving up and collecting as much documentation as you can such as flight details to prove that you landed before CoPR deadline extension and keep a log of all interactions with immigration personnel such as their names and IDs and stuff. So you have all evidence that it is the officers fault.

Thanks for sharing and hope the situation is resolved soon!

Reactions: baolocdo

bootsal

Nov 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29/03/2017
Nomination.....
21/2/2017
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
File Transfer...
16/10/2017
Med's Done....
21/06/2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2019
LANDED..........
21-02-2019
Is it possible to take help of a MP or may be write to the minister for help...there should be Workaround...system going down can't be your fault.

baolocdo

Feb 23, 2017
United States
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
09-27-2017
Passport Req..
10-25-2017
Thanks for the advice. I talked to the immigration lawyer and they suggested to email the visa office about my case. I'm still waiting for the result.

Regarding the SIN: I also made an urgent request for the SIN with the Service Canada. Since I couldn't get the SIN on the spot, they filed a paperwork for me. Keep in mind that it would take a month or so to get it. I called the office and they said that they had a long backlog so now it would take 6 weeks or more to get the SIN. I sent the job offer letter to them to prove that I needed it ASAP and after 4 days, I called them back on Oct 16 and they said it was approved. However, I would have to wait a week for it to arrive. The HR at my work will contact them to get the SIN before it arrives.

Crossing my fingers for the confirmation status!

Reactions: artificial.nocturne