+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed and planning to return to the US for work!

canada2007

Nov 28, 2006
Hello,
We landed two weeks ago and had no issues at the border. We had all the documents prepared (forms 4a-b). However, we had to return to the Canadian customs when our goods arrived (three days later).
This question is for those who returned to the US on valid HB-1 and I-94 documents but expired visas. Do we need a visa to return (fly) to the US? According to the US Embassy website, the waiting time (for visa appointment) is about 31 days, which we do not have. We have to get back to work in two weeks. If you've had similar exp or familiar with the law, please respond.Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canada2007 said:
Hello,
We landed two weeks ago and had no issues at the border. We had all the documents prepared (forms 4a-b). However, we had to return to the Canadian customs when our goods arrived (three days later).
This question is for those who returned to the US on valid HB-1 and I-94 documents but expired visas. Do we need a visa to return (fly) to the US? According to the US Embassy website, the waiting time (for visa appointment) is about 31 days, which we do not have. We have to get back to work in two weeks. If you've had similar exp or familiar with the law, please respond.Thanks.
The answer is no, according to http://www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/visa/travel/revalidation.html
as long as you return within 30 days and don't make an appointment for a US visa and are not a citizen of the 7 countries mentioned.

PMM

slm

Aug 11, 2006
PMM,

Is it ok even they fly in US or does this rule apply only if you enter US by road ?

slm

canada2007

Nov 28, 2006
Yes Its okay. We flew back and of course US immigration asked few questions but and the end it all went well. We filled new I94 with new stamp. Next time we will get a visa.

Thanks