+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land POE - Dual Intent/Outland

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
The time will shortly be coming that me and my husband will be going back to Vancouver. I flew back last month for a job interview and filed my GTF already so that is done.
We are driving from NY to Seattle and getting picked up and driven across the border by my sister - we are bringing a dog with us who cannot go via cargo, hence the route and his daughter lives in NY so we will visit her on route.

I have all the required evidence for my husband (dual intent), Copy of AOR, he has a return ticket to the UK for July, he has proof of funds, ETA and ESTA are still valid.
Has anyone crossed land border and what was your experience? If asked I am going to be truthful of course, that I am moving back and he is visiting, but he does have a PR application. Should we say we are applying for OWP under the new policy?

I assume that this is something that many US applicants do often - go for visits etc;

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The time will shortly be coming that me and my husband will be going back to Vancouver. I flew back last month for a job interview and filed my GTF already so that is done.
We are driving from NY to Seattle and getting picked up and driven across the border by my sister - we are bringing a dog with us who cannot go via cargo, hence the route and his daughter lives in NY so we will visit her on route.

I have all the required evidence for my husband (dual intent), Copy of AOR, he has a return ticket to the UK for July, he has proof of funds, ETA and ESTA are still valid.
Has anyone crossed land border and what was your experience? If asked I am going to be truthful of course, that I am moving back and he is visiting, but he does have a PR application. Should we say we are applying for OWP under the new policy?

I assume that this is something that many US applicants do often - go for visits etc;
CBSA officers are very much aware of Dual Intent. It sounds like you understand this as well, which is great!

Having a return ticket, your husband is already `ahead' in terms of dealing with any questions that the CBSA oficer may (and likely will) have regarding your husband's understanding that he cannot move to Canada, even though there is a PR application in the works (spousal sponsorship?). Hopefully he can show ties back to his `home', wherever that is as well. A Return ticket is great, as are proof of funds, but the officer may need to be assured that your husband still has his primary residence.

Just curious to know why you filed a Goods to Follow, if you say that you are moving back to Vancouver.

It's always recommended to be truthful when answering questions from CBSA, but it's also suggested to not volunteer information.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
CBSA officers are very much aware of Dual Intent. It sounds like you understand this as well, which is great!

Having a return ticket, your husband is already `ahead' in terms of dealing with any questions that the CBSA oficer may (and likely will) have regarding your husband's understanding that he cannot move to Canada, even though there is a PR application in the works (spousal sponsorship?). Hopefully he can show ties back to his `home', wherever that is as well. A Return ticket is great, as are proof of funds, but the officer may need to be assured that your husband still has his primary residence.

Just curious to know why you filed a Goods to Follow, if you say that you are moving back to Vancouver.

It's always recommended to be truthful when answering questions from CBSA, but it's also suggested to not volunteer information.
I’ve been living in the uk for 19 years, so all the household goods are coming in a few months. This was also the reason I did the gtf last month, so I didn’t have to do it when we cross together.
We still have a tenancy agreement until July, however we are leaving the property.
Ties back home are his parents and sister still live in the uk, he still has all his uk accounts still open and drivers licence with uk address and he has a letter from his employer that he is only taking a long ‘leave’ from work.
But yes, this is the only tricky bit.
It’s not feasible for us to wait in the Uk any longer, my stepmother has serious health issues so that is one of the main reasons I (as the Canadian citizen) am moving back.

Last edited:

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
We are actually debating him flying from Seattle into Yvr, he’s done this multiple times when we have gone out (when we visit I will often go out a week or so beforehand as I had substantially for holiday allowance than him) and he’s used kiosks, and never had any questions from CBsa. I understand we can use his boarding pass for owp I lieu of a stamp in his passport - which he never gets when he uses the automated entry points. It’s the land border I am just. Little nervous about