+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land Entry Through Windsor / Port Huron

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi All
I have received my CoPR last week. I am Indian citizen working in USA in L1 visa. I am planning to drive to Toronto through PoE at Windsor or Port Huron/Sarnia area this weekend. Is there a comprehensive guide available of the process or what to do / not to do list? Can someone share his experience?

Specific questions:
1. What all documents are required to be carried
2. Is there a specific time of the day at these PoEs? I'm planning to be there early morning
3. What type of questions are asked at PoE?
3. What all document is required to return to USA? What kind of questions are asked at US PoE?

michibong

May 5, 2018
I have been reading experiences and have some more questions. As I have just couple of days left, if anyone can reply urgently it will be highly appreciated

1. Goods declaration – Do I need to download BSF186A, fill up and carry with me or we need to fill up there in the Port of Entry office? How accurate and detailed the list needs to be for goods I am going to bring later (which obviously I don’t exactly know right now). Can you give an example how you have listed small items like furniture, kitchen appliances, cutleries, crockeries, clothes, home decorative items etc.)?

2. Read some comments about car. My car is leased. What all documents I need to show (I am going to say I am not importing the car now as I am going to be there only for the weekend)?

3. Address for PR card – Do they send it to US address? If not do they accept a friend/relative’s address in Canada? I checked some posts where it is written that the officer didn’t accept a friend’s address. What is the solution in this case?

4. I read somewhere in this forum that we can enter multiple times through land just with CoPR? Is that true for Indian Citizens? I thought the visa issued is single entry. If this is correct, how many times can someone enter without PR card? Are you planning to get PR card generated only after you move permanently?

5. Previously someone in this forum suggested me to get another set of photos taken in Canada in case my photos are rejected. Can they still reject photos after sending CoPR?

6. Other than CoPR and passports do I need to carry any document that I submitted in the application (like PCC, academic certificates, WES etc.)?

7. SIN - is SIN office open on Saturday? I guess it is not. If the answer to question #4 is yes, can we go later in weekday and get it done? If answer is no, how should I get this done?

8. What all documents I should carry to reenter US other than passport with visa, petition copy, I-94 etc?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You only need passport (with visa) and CoPR to land. Also it's a good idea to bring proof of funds and in your case goods to follow (fill out the form before you go). No other documents needed. No photo needed.

Border is open 24/7. Go early in the morning when the it's less crowded

They will ask and confirm the questions written on CoPR, e.g. have you ever committed a crime, etc. All are simple questions. No need to worry about it.

PR card can only be sent to a Canadian address. You can leave a friend's address, as long as it's not in Quebec.

Once you land and become a PR, you can use CoPR and passport to enter Canada in a private vehicle. No restrictions whatsoever. PR card is needed only if you use public transport.

I don't think you can get SIN at the border (I could be wrong). You can go to any Service Canada office in Windsor to get it.

I don't think they would check your car. Pink slip and registration should suffice, which you should have in your car anyways.

Last edited:

michibong

May 5, 2018
You only need passport (with visa) and CoPR to land. Also it's a good idea to bring proof of funds and in your case goods to follow (fill out the form before you go). No other documents needed. No photo needed.

Border is open 24/7. Go early in the morning when the it's less crowded

They will ask and confirm the questions written on CoPR, e.g. have you ever committed a crime, etc. All are simple questions. No need to worry about it.

PR card can only be sent to a Canadian address. You can leave a friend's address, as long as it's not in Quebec.

Once you land and become a PR, you can use CoPR and passport to enter Canada in a private vehicle. No restrictions whatsoever. PR card is needed only if you use public transport.

I don't think you can get SIN at the border (I could be wrong). You can go to any Service Canada office in Windsor to get it.

I don't think they would check your car. Pink slip and registration should suffice, which you should have in your car anyways.
Thanks a lot for your response... however I'm not getting a complete clarity on #4... this link vaguely says it but doesn't confirm http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Last edited:

michibong

May 5, 2018
I finally made my first landing on June 9. Drove upto Port Huron, MI in the morning, reached around 10 AM. Paid the toll and crossed the Blue Water Bridge (Lake Huron looks beautiful on the left side... wish we are allowed to stop on the bridge to enjoy the view!). Once crossed I handed over our passports to the officer at the gate (from the car window) and told him why we are here. He checked for couple of minutes, asked standard questions like whether we are carrying alcohol/tobacco/money (more than 10,000 CAD)/weapons/food etc. and handed back our passports with a yellow form. He showed the spot on the right side where we had to stop and disembark from the car. Drove up to the spot, parked, came out. An officer checked the form and asked to enter the building next to it. We entered and joined a queue. It was a short queue and when it was our turn, the officer collected our passports, CoPRs, gave back a ticket and asked to wait.

We waited for about 30 minutes. When we were called we were asked the questions written on the CoPR. After confirming we were asked to put inital and sign at designated places. The officer then asked for the address to send the PR cards. Provided a friend's address in Vancouver and officer accepted it. FInally he cancelled the visa, put a stamp on passport that PR has landed on so and so date, told me you're all set and left. I asked whether I can enter Canada again before getting the PR card and he said yes.

The customs officer was sitting at the next spot only and while I was working with the immigration officer, in between he asked for the BSF186 form. I handed over two copies of BSF186 goods accompanied and BSF186 goods to follow. He told as you are not carrying anything now (we went for the weekend), I will only check the GTF form. He checked and stamped on all pages along with attachments (check Qorax's post in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/form-b4-goods-to-follow-accompanying-list-how-to.44793/ and prepare), returned one set and asked to carry that set whenever any good which is listed here is imported in future. When I handed over the photos of the jewelry he smiled and told he doesn't need to see it. He also checked whether the car I was driving was shown in the BSF186 GTF. As I showed it in the list (though I am not sure I will import it or not), he was satisfied.

So this entire process was completed in about 15 minutes. We came out of the building and drove straight to Mississauga to meet some family members.

Returned on Sunday through same place. US officer checked passport, visa, petition etc. and allowed to enter. Didn't have to come out of the car.

Last edited:

cvask

Feb 3, 2017
Dallas, TX
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
24-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
6-16-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2017
I finally made my first landing on June 9. Drove upto Port Huron, MI in the morning, reached around 10 AM. Paid the toll and crossed the Blue Water Bridge (Lake Huron looks beautiful on the left side... wish we are allowed to stop on the bridge to enjoy the view!). Once crossed I handed over our passports to the officer at the gate (from the car window) and told him why we are here. He checked for couple of minutes, asked standard questions like whether we are carrying alcohol/tobacco/money (more than 10,000 CAD)/weapons/food etc. and handed back our passports with a yellow form. He showed the spot on the right side where we had to stop and disembark from the car. Drove up to the spot, parked, came out. An officer checked the form and asked to enter the building next to it. We entered and joined a queue. It was a short queue and when it was our turn, the officer collected our passports, CoPRs, gave back a ticket and asked to wait.

We waited for about 30 minutes. When we were called we were asked the questions written on the CoPR. After confirming we were asked to put inital and sign at designated places. The officer then asked for the address to send the PR cards. Provided a friend's address in Vancouver and officer accepted it. FInally he cancelled the visa, put a stamp on passport that PR has landed on so and so date, told me you're all set and left. I asked whether I can enter Canada again before getting the PR card and he said yes.

The customs officer was sitting at the next spot only and while I was working with the immigration officer, in between he asked for the BSF186 form. I handed over two copies of BSF186 goods accompanied and BSF186 goods to follow. He told as you are not carrying anything now (we went for the weekend), I will only check the GTF form. He checked and stamped on all pages along with attachments (check Qorax's post in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/form-b4-goods-to-follow-accompanying-list-how-to.44793/ and prepare), returned one set and asked to carry that set whenever any good which is listed here is imported in future. When I handed over the photos of the jewelry he smiled and told he doesn't need to see it. He also checked whether the car I was driving was shown in the BSF186 GTF. As I showed it in the list (though I am not sure I will import it or not), he was satisfied.

So this entire process was completed in about 15 minutes. We came out of the building and drove straight to Mississauga to meet some family members.

Returned on Sunday through same place. US officer checked passport, visa, petition etc. and allowed to enter. Didn't have to come out of the car.
Congratulations on your successful landing and thanks for sharing your experience.

I will be landing next sunday 6/17.

My question to you -

While coming back to the US did you make use of AVR or did you already had valid visa to enter states? Please let me know. Thanks & congrats again!

michibong

May 5, 2018
Congratulations on your successful landing and thanks for sharing your experience.

I will be landing next sunday 6/17.

My question to you -

While coming back to the US did you make use of AVR or did you already had valid visa to enter states? Please let me know. Thanks & congrats again!
I had valid visa stamp. Still I carried my approved petition

Forte

Nov 14, 2016

Quick question. Was there a particular reason you didnt go through the ambassador bridge?

Sim23Can

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-09-2017
We did landing formalities at Windsor Canada Border on September 16, 2018. The lady officer did not process our PR card application as we are not staying in Canada for now. Asked to apply for it once we have our address in Canada.
Now question here is, if we don not get the PR card application processed first time, when should we apply for PR card? How? from where?