+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land Border Crossing COVID 19

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi,
Could someone provide their experience while reentering Canada via a land border after a soft landing.
Specifically how does one bring stuff like clothes ,jewelry,electronics,furniture etc while going by car if reentering for second time.(If first landing was done by air and the settlers items/goods to follow list was not given)?
Could someone also share experiences when it comes to applying for provincial insurance (OHIP) during COVID and which private insurance provider to use when applying for initial stay.
Looking forward to your comments this forum has been a blessing
Thanks
Pratik

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before you move doublecheck to make sure 3 month has been waived. The measure is just temporary and related to covid. Nobody knows how long it will last.

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Thank you @canuck78 could you let me know how i could move my stuff dity free without having given the settlers form during soft landing or the goods to follow lost
Just submit a goods accompanying and goods to follow list, if any, on your next move.

We flagpoled few months back, and the officer didn't want the goods list then. Said we can submit when we move permanently. Last week we moved and brought the bsf forms with us and they stamped and let us in.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Just submit a goods accompanying and goods to follow list, if any, on your next move.

We flagpoled few months back, and the officer didn't want the goods list then. Said we can submit when we move permanently. Last week we moved and brought the bsf forms with us and they stamped and let us in.
Did you go into 14-day quarantine during your move to Canada?

I'm planning on moving to Windsor, ON in a month, and I plan on bringing all my stuff.
I want to put them all in a U-haul storage unit, but I don't know if I can with the quarantine order.
Where did you store all your stuff?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Quarantine is mandatory. That means no outside direct contact for 14 days. That ,ea s unloading at a U-Haul self storage location would be a breach of quarantine.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html?&utm_campaign=gc-hc-sc-coronavirus2021-ao-2021-0005-10020125402&utm_medium=search&utm_source=google-ads-107800103024&utm_content=text-en-434525470047&utm_term=+covid#ua

Travellers without symptoms: mandatory quarantine
If you have recently returned to Canada and you have no symptoms, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days. This is mandatory. You are at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

• You must quarantine (self-isolate) in a place where you will have no contact with vulnerable people, such as:
    • people 65 years or older, or
    • people with underlying medical conditions
  • You will need to confirm you have a suitable place to isolate where you will have access to basic necessities, such as food and medication.
  • You must wear a non-medical mask or face covering while traveling to the place you will quarantine (self-isolate).
If you do not have an adequate place to quarantine (self-isolate), the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada will designate a facility where you must remain for 14 days.

In addition to the above, mandatory quarantine (self-isolate) means you must:
  • go directly to your place of quarantine, without stopping anywhere, and stay there for 14 days
    • do not go to school, work or other public areas and community settings
  • monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19
  • arrange to have someone pick up essentials like groceries or medication for you
  • do not have visitors
  • stay in a private place like your yard or balcony if you go outside for fresh air
  • keep a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Quarantine is mandatory. That means no outside direct contact for 14 days. That ,ea s unloading at a U-Haul self storage location would be a breach of quarantine.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html?&utm_campaign=gc-hc-sc-coronavirus2021-ao-2021-0005-10020125402&utm_medium=search&utm_source=google-ads-107800103024&utm_content=text-en-434525470047&utm_term=+covid#ua

Travellers without symptoms: mandatory quarantine
If you have recently returned to Canada and you have no symptoms, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days. This is mandatory. You are at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

• You must quarantine (self-isolate) in a place where you will have no contact with vulnerable people, such as:
    • people 65 years or older, or
    • people with underlying medical conditions
  • You will need to confirm you have a suitable place to isolate where you will have access to basic necessities, such as food and medication.
  • You must wear a non-medical mask or face covering while traveling to the place you will quarantine (self-isolate).
If you do not have an adequate place to quarantine (self-isolate), the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada will designate a facility where you must remain for 14 days.

In addition to the above, mandatory quarantine (self-isolate) means you must:
  • go directly to your place of quarantine, without stopping anywhere, and stay there for 14 days
    • do not go to school, work or other public areas and community settings
  • monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19
  • arrange to have someone pick up essentials like groceries or medication for you
  • do not have visitors
  • stay in a private place like your yard or balcony if you go outside for fresh air
  • keep a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others
Yeah, I thought as much.
Did all these people already have a house/apartment for rent already set up before they moved?

I'm not sure how to move all my stuff to Canada.
Any suggestions?

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Just wanted to chime in here because I spoke with someone at the border about this very thing..

Originally we were going to rent a U-Haul and planned to unload directly into the place we're renting in Toronto. The lady I spoke with said that we were NOT allowed to even return the truck, even with the option of contact-less drop off. She said I could have a friend or family member return the truck for us but that under no circumstance could we go anywhere outside our new home.

Have you considered using U-Boxes instead? It's a bit costly but you have the option of them moving and storing your stuff for you, all you have to do is load them. For NY to Toronto it was going to be roughly $3500 USD for two-three boxes. We used this option several years ago moving from Toronto to Dallas and it was about $5000 USD and took about a week to get our things.

This time around we ended up going with a moving company and because they're considered 'essential', that helps alleviate the stress of having to quarantine since they can still come into our home to unload our furniture. However we have to get a family member to clear our goods on our behalf since we can't go to the customs office. Annoying but, it is what it is. This option ended up being around $4000 USD.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: Danaan and dry.00

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Did you go into 14-day quarantine during your move to Canada?

I'm planning on moving to Windsor, ON in a month, and I plan on bringing all my stuff.
I want to put them all in a U-haul storage unit, but I don't know if I can with the quarantine order.
Where did you store all your stuff?
Sorry, I cant help you with your question. As I returned after my quarantine and am planning to take my stuff later.

As suggested, Movers would be one option, or see if just renting the uhaul for 15 days would be a cheaper option. You can move them to a storage unit after quarantine.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Just wanted to chime in here because I spoke with someone at the border about this very thing..

Originally we were going to rent a U-Haul and planned to unload directly into the place we're renting in Toronto. The lady I spoke with said that we were NOT allowed to even return the truck, even with the option of contact-less drop off. She said I could have a friend or family member return the truck for us but that under no circumstance could we go anywhere outside our new home.

Have you considered using U-Boxes instead? It's a bit costly but you have the option of them moving and storing your stuff for you, all you have to do is load them. For NY to Toronto it was going to be roughly $3500 USD for two-three boxes. We used this option several years ago moving from Toronto to Dallas and it was about $5000 USD and took about a week to get our things.

This time around we ended up going with a moving company and because they're considered 'essential', that helps alleviate the stress of having to quarantine since they can still come into our home to unload our furniture. However we have to get a family member to clear our goods on our behalf since we can't go to the customs office. Annoying but, it is what it is. This option ended up being around $4000 USD.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Wow... that's expensive.
I live alone in a 1-bedroom apartment, and I'm thinking about having U-pack ship all my goods to Windsor.
I hope they're cheaper than most moving companies.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Sorry, I cant help you with your question. As I returned after my quarantine and am planning to take my stuff later.

As suggested, Movers would be one option, or see if just renting the uhaul for 15 days would be a cheaper option. You can move them to a storage unit after quarantine.
Ah, ok. Thank you for your input