+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Clearance Certificate - included lapsed record

Rasmi

Oct 23, 2019
Hi everyone!

I'm a South African currently getting all the documents needed to immigrate to Canada. I lived in South Korea for 1 year working as an English teacher.

I understand that the Canada requires a police clearance certificate including lapsed records. Unfortunately, I spent an entire day at the police station showing them Canada's immigration website and pleading with them to give me that specific type of certificate but they refused. They said it was illegal for me to have it.

My Korean colleague, called her friend who is a police officer, her friend confirmed that it was illegal for me to have it. I also got another Korean colleague to speak to the officers at the police station for me, thinking it was a miscommunication, but they still insisted the document was illegal for me to have.

Finally, they gave me the usual police clearance certificate which does not include lapsed records.

I arrived in South Africa on 5th March 2020.

Please could you advise me on what to do. I am freaking out about having the wrong type of police clearance certificate. I really don't want it to affect my immigration process. Furthermore, I will not be returning to South Korea and I don't have any body in South Korea who can go to the police station for me.

Are there possibly any agents that I could contact? And if it is indeed illegal, will Canada accept the usual police clearance certificate?

kheo247

Mar 18, 2020
Hi everyone!

I'm a South African currently getting all the documents needed to immigrate to Canada. I lived in South Korea for 1 year working as an English teacher.

I understand that the Canada requires a police clearance certificate including lapsed records. Unfortunately, I spent an entire day at the police station showing them Canada's immigration website and pleading with them to give me that specific type of certificate but they refused. They said it was illegal for me to have it.

My Korean colleague, called her friend who is a police officer, her friend confirmed that it was illegal for me to have it. I also got another Korean colleague to speak to the officers at the police station for me, thinking it was a miscommunication, but they still insisted the document was illegal for me to have.

Finally, they gave me the usual police clearance certificate which does not include lapsed records.

Please could you advise me on what to do. I am freaking out about having the wrong type of police clearance certificate. I really don't want it to affect my immigration process. Furthermore, I will not be returning to South Korea and I don't have any body in South Korea who can go to the police station for me.

Are there possibly any agents that I could contact? And if it is indeed illegal, will Canada accept the usual police clearance certificate?
That's right. It's a dilemma for even Koreans, too. In some cases, however, some police office issue documents included lapsed records.
Anyway, I'd like you to refer to this example here as a tip. What you said is true and can be checked on this site. (http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5276/contents.do)
I heard that some Korean guy asked by an e-mail to this site to explain the situation, and get an answer about it, then print it out and submit it together with the criminal record document he had. Finally he got PR card without any other demands. Why don't you ask here by email first.(http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5263/contents.do)
I don't think you'll have a big problem if you submit more documents to prove your situation convincingly.

Reactions: Rasmi

Rasmi

Oct 23, 2019
Thank you so much!
That's right. It's a dilemma for even Koreans, too. In some cases, however, some police office issue documents included lapsed records.
Anyway, I'd like you to refer to this example here as a tip. What you said is true and can be checked on this site. (http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5276/contents.do)
I heard that some Korean guy asked by an e-mail to this site to explain the situation, and get an answer about it, then print it out and submit it together with the criminal record document he had. Finally he got PR card without any other demands. Why don't you ask here by email first.(http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5263/contents.do)
I don't think you'll have a big problem if you submit more documents to prove your situation convincingly.

nutmeg13

Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone!

How did u get your police record?

JTPr

May 15, 2020
Hi how did your pr application go?

i called CIC, they said I passed everything. But my background check is pending due to South Korean Certificate with lasped record.

i have already included my explanation letter... but i dunno why they are still not accepting it and finalizing my application.......

i saw previous posts that people got their pr without providing the lapsed record certificate but simply explained..

hopefully we can get our pr soon!!

nutmeg13

Nov 12, 2019
Hi how did your pr application go?

i called CIC, they said I passed everything. But my background check is pending due to South Korean Certificate with lasped record.

i have already included my explanation letter... but i dunno why they are still not accepting it and finalizing my application.......

i saw previous posts that people got their pr without providing the lapsed record certificate but simply explained..

hopefully we can get our pr soon!!
did you get the PCC from Korea?

JTPr

May 15, 2020
I got mine from SK Consulate in Toronto and the embassy officer told us that is the only certificate they could provide. The one with lapsed record that cic requested can not be obtained as it is against their law...

nutmeg13

Nov 12, 2019
Is it like criminal background check? Do they provide supprting documenta that they do not provide with the other PCC? Thank you!

JTPr

May 15, 2020
So they provided me another standard criminal background check certificate stating i have never committed any crime. But that is not the one CIC is requesting for. The one that CIC is requesting is no longer obtainable based on their recent law...

I read it somewhere else in our forum that the States was also asking for that “unobtainable” certificate till many people reported to their immigration officers that that document is no longer obtainable..

JTPr

May 15, 2020
Just the criminal record certificate issued from the consulate and letter of explanation

nutmeg13

Nov 12, 2019
Do the consulate gave u a letter of explanation stating that they cannot provide the said document? Thank you!

JTPr

May 15, 2020
I emailed them for clarification and they replied me back. I suggest you contact them directly for clarifications