+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kiwi's wanting to become Canadians

feijoa

Jul 6, 2008
Hi all,
I am new at this so please excuse any errors, esp. if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
My husband and I have recently applied for permanent residency in Canada and have received our file number (from Sydney) with a letter stating not to expect anything for another 36 months which is REALLY disappointing.
Is there anyone who has been through the process that can say if this is accurate. We realise future processing times aren't necessarily determined by past times but an idea would be nice. I find it hard to work with "pie in the sky" kinda stuff!
My husband has tried to get a work permit to reduce the time it takes to enter Canada but one needs a job offer and he is finding getting even an interview is impossible. We don't know if it is where he is looking for jobs (and we have been told most employers won't hire internationals) or what but we keep coming up against brick walls. The area of work my husband is in... IT security/management (11+ years experience) and he has many years experience in telecommunications also.
We realise there are no "free rides" but keep wondering if we are missing something. We have friends in Canada in have told us it is who you know rather than what you know. Is this the case?
Ideally we are looking for an interested employer so we can appy for a work permit to get us to Canada sooner or even recruitment agencies that deal with internationals.
Having read quite a number of posts on this site I see hundreds of people trying to get into your country but any suggestions, advice etc would be much appreciated!!
We look forward to hearing what others have to say :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't really know anything about the IT market but yeah, of course it's who you know. If you know somebody who can get you a job, then you can get a work permit. In some professions where people are really needed, for example in Alberta, they need a lot of tradespeople, there are many companies that are hiring foreigners, often going through an agency but in IT, I don't really know. Maybe they don't need IT people that badly or maybe he just hasn't found the right companies. If he wants telecommunications, he can try the big phone companies like telus.com, rogers.com, bell.ca

angelinoj

Jul 6, 2008
This is also our case, i'm losing my patience in waiting...been firing out my resumes, but no luck so far...most of the employment agencies are hiring low skilled workers...

so for us, we don't have any option but to wait and hope that our papers get processed soon...

promise

Jun 28, 2008
pls iam new in this site and i am really discouraged about the time it takes to process the PR under the Federal skill worker programme,
I really like to relocate to canada from Nigeria i have 4 years work experience and i am 29 years old lady
pls could you direct me to a site i can apply for job in Canada to enable me apply for work permitt instead because i learnt that it will be faster if you have job in Canada. i read Accounting and can also work in Administration.
Thanks.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i don't think 36 months is long...though it depends on how you look at it. it is good you have a file number but if all th documents you provided are fine, you would probably hear from them within 2 years.

i had a similar situation ..and thought i would wait for 36 months, but that was not so. here is what happened to me...
filed in may 2006
received my file number july 2006
medical exam and directive to pay right of landing fee by june 2008
asked to submit passport for visa in august 2008.
planning to land by september 2008 (next month)

i guess it depends ont he visa office, but i guess you should give yourself about 2 years...