+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kitchen Helper Job and Spouse open work permit

Rashid A

Dec 31, 2023
Hi my wife have been offered Kitchen Helper job in Alberta.The wage is 16.25.As it is a NOC C job so I want to know that on this NOC C job as a spouse can I get the open work permit.Some people says yes some no.Please reply urgently and where it is mentioned?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi my wife have been offered Kitchen Helper job in Alberta.The wage is 16.25.As it is a NOC C job so I want to know that on this NOC C job as a spouse can I get the open work permit.Some people says yes some no.Please reply urgently and where it is mentioned?
Are you living in Canada now? Does she have an approved LMIA? Believe it is NOC D but now use 5 digit NOCs with TEERS. You can apply for SOWP if wife meets the conditions below. Show funds to settle because Canada is expensive, and she will make barely enough to live.

Your wife must meet 4 requirements:
  1. You have 1 of the following:
  2. Your work permit must be valid in Canada for at least 6 months after we receive your family member’s open work permit application.
  3. You’re employed or will be employed in a low-skilled occupation (Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities [TEER] category 4 or 5 of the National Occupation Classification system) at the time your family member submits their application.
  4. You’re living or plan to live in Canada while working.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If she doesn’t have a work permit think whether she is able to secure a WP is the bigger issue. Does the employer have an LMIA? How did she find this job because there are scams or sadly consultants and employers sometimes ask for payment which is illegal? Does she have experience working in a restaurant and/or culinary education?

May 21, 2022
Hello,
my wife went to Canada on Kitchen Helper (Teer 5 low wage) closed work permit last month & she started job in this occupation. As I can see on canada.ca website's page "open work permit for family members of foreign workers: Who can apply" page, it mentioned that the applicant having low wage job in teer 4,5 category is still not eligible to sponser his/her spouse on spouse open work permit. But, I see on social media that there are a number of RCIC immigration agents (In Canada) who are getting their client's open wrok permit whose main applicants are working in teer 5 low wage especially a kitchen helper. This let me in confusion what I need to do for myself like do I need to apply for visitor visa or spouse open work permit? My agent is saying me that you cannot apply spouse open work permit as it is not yet implemented (phase 2). But my wife's colleague at work (kitchen helper) has got her husband's spouse open work permit. The only difference between me and her husband is that I am still in India and want to apply it from India, but her husband was on visitor visa and he applied from Canada. Can you please help me regarding this? I will really thankful for you to help me. The Canada.ca website where I checked, link is here- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/open-work-permit-spouses-dependent-children/eligibility.html